Common problem of aircraft rolling left

I seem to be stuck with this common problem where the aircraft rolls left, making it unflyable.

It is a known bug affecting people for years for DCS.

I'm flying the tf-51.

-I fly with the keyboard

-I have ctrl+enter activated, everything is centered

-I have reset all trims after take off

-Yes, i have raised landing gear

-I also have RPM and Throttle values for operating range. This means no over RPM or over throttle causing the aircraft to torque to the left.

Really need help with this. The aircraft cannot fly level. It just rolls left slowly as if the left aileron is heavy. This is the tf-51 module. No weapons or arms.

-Also don't tell me to get a joystick. If it occurs with the keyboard, it will still be there with the joystick

Please help!

You will find is that as the aircraft changes speed it also tracks differently.

As such, it is necessary to continuously adjust your Rudder Trim to ensure the Ball (side-slip-indicator) remains centered.

Tuning your rudder trim will be a constant necessity for smooth, efficient flight.

It will also help reduce the overall tendency to roll.

I hope this helps.

SnowTiger:joystick:

It is a known bug affecting people for years for DCS.

No, its not a bug. Its a realistic behaviour of the airframe.

And it's next to impossible to find any combination of throttle, pitch, trim settings that will let the plane fly straight and level.

It's just a property of these kind of aircraft, not a flaw of the simulation.

(you may want to study some aerodynamics of propeller driven planes, propwash in particular)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

@zackjollyroger

"-I have ctrl+enter activated, everything is centered"

you shouldn't

read this article please:

http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/4-left-turning-tendencies/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

It's called - on of the best simulations of Prop Effects, ALL of them, in any PC-based flight simultor.

The true P51d is certainly not a hands-off flyer. Every power adjustment, fuel imballance situation, AoA / speed variation calls for re-triming ( aileron, rudder and elevator trim...)

I think DCS World does a remarkable, I'd say unique, job in recreating all of these effects:

- torque

- p-factor

- gyroscopic effect

- propwash / slipstream effects over the aircraft fuselage, wings, stabilazers, including asymmetric hit of those surfaces...

- deflected propwash effects ( simulated to a level of detail I couldn't find in any other sim )...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Part of the enjoyment of flying the P-51 in DCS is that it's constantly changing throughout the flight as the fuel burns off. When we fly The Horsemen routine, there is one loop at the start of the display and one near the end. The process for flying each of these loops is slightly different as the fuel from the left wing tank is used up. If we're doing a practice flight flying multiple routines, we will alternate from Left to Right wing tank fuel after each practice, to try and keep the aircraft better balanced.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

-I also have RPM and Throttle values for operating range. This means no over RPM or over throttle causing the aircraft to torque to the left.
You misunderstand what torque means. Of course there is torque there, all the time there is torque there. It's not a bug, it's real life. But there are better suited games out there to "fly" using keyboard and/or mouse than a simulation like DCS.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be something simple. When I load the config files for my Saitek Rudder controllers there were options in there that effect roll by default. So as I flew if I touched my rudder pedals the plan would take a dive that was uncontrollable. This is a long shot but try going into your controls and clearing your settings for everything except your joystick to narrow it down.

You could activate auto-rudder, that could help.

But yeah, real planes do that as well for the reasons stated above.

by using the Keyboard you are making flying ten times harder. Even a cheap joystick with a twist axis for rudder would be much better.

This is a simulation, and there is a good reason why real planes are not flown by using a keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a simulation, and there is a good reason why real planes are not flown by using a keyboard.

Because, sending erotic messages to ATC is generally looked down upon? I mean, that might explain why I've yet to get picked up by an airline.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

• 3 weeks later...
Get a joystick :)

This. You just can't fly this sim with a keyboard. Maybe warthunder, but not this. It would be ridiculous to think you could. Not trying to be rude but you shouldn't expect much if you're only use a keyboard. A joystick at minimum is required and tbh, pedals, throttle and trackir.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 2 years later...

I think the problem source is different, thank you for the guys/gals that astutely state physical properties of airflow, but in my case it was exactly what Zack was talking about. The aircraft violently rolled left upon game start. I managed to isolate all my other inputs, gradually turning them on, and finally I am able to maintain a steady flight. Essentially:-

1. Disconnect all usb flight controls so that you are keyboard/mouse only. See if you can fly.

2. Gradually bring on board only the flight controls you need, ie Joystick/Throttle/Rudder.

3. If all is good, then bring in your next level devices (I run 2 MFDs in addition). I think in my case, it was either my Driving Wheel (Logitech G27 or the joypad) that was adding additional bias feedback. By this stage, the computer naturally reset the default input levels and I am able to fly normally. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ronbocop

I think the problem source is different, thank you for the guys/gals that astutely state physical properties of airflow, but in my case it was exactly what Zack was talking about. The aircraft violently rolled left upon game start. I managed to isolate all my other inputs, gradually turning them on, and finally I am able to maintain a steady flight. Essentially:-

1. Disconnect all usb flight controls so that you are keyboard/mouse only. See if you can fly.

2. Gradually bring on board only the flight controls you need, ie Joystick/Throttle/Rudder.

3. If all is good, then bring in your next level devices (I run 2 MFDs in addition). I think in my case, it was either my Driving Wheel (Logitech G27 or the joypad) that was adding additional bias feedback. By this stage, the computer naturally reset the default input levels and I am able to fly normally. Hope this helps.

So, your problem was the classic several controls assigned to the same axis :huh: .I think that has nothing to do with OP "problem" mate.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice