Microstutter Solution

hughlb

I'm posting this in a new thread because the other stutter thread "DCS 2.0 Nevada stutter help" is focussed around severe (> 1 sec) stutters.

I wanted to offer a solution that I've had for micro stutters. I would get these periodically, every two or three seconds. They manifested themselves as a frame drop/skip, or a series of small freezes, a fraction of a second in length - most evident when panning the view or looking perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I did the following to remove them almost entirely. Noting that I have vsync ON in-game, which helps with general smoothness.

I followed these steps (some but not all) in the guide below to Optimise Windows 10. With many unnecessary processes shut off, I did notice a minimisation in the duration and severity of the microstutters.

[ame]

[/ame]

I then followed the steps to turn off Superfetch (not the other tweaks) in the following guide. I have an SSD.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/72377100

I found that the microstutters were minimal, but still present. So finally, I changed from Avira to Avast antivirus, and this made a substantial difference.

Hopefully some of you can try this approach successfully. It hasn't completely removed all stutters, but I think whatever remains may have more to do with EDGE loading assets etc. It's frustrating that even with a decent CPU, RAM etc. Windows processes and antivirus can really detract from the smoothness of the simulation experience, regardless of a high framerate

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I turn Anti-Virus Process/Real Time Protection Off When Gaming,

As it will try to scan every file and process as they are loaded and executed.

Also, Search Indexing, etc cause huge HDD Usage.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, R7970 Lightning @ 1.2 / 6 GHz Memory

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I turn Anti-Virus Process/Real Time Protection Off When Gaming

Whoa. I use MSE, and I just tried excluding the DCS World and Alpha folders from the scanner. All the stutters in Nevada, slow terrain loading when switching views, delays from head movement, etc. are GONE for me. I can't believe the difference. Makes my old HDD look good again.

Thanks for posting Hugh!

Still getting stutters though... Don't think any of it helped very much. I've also tried turning off my virus scanner to no effect.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

to those above... find a better AV solution; what I, and some others run - doesn't present any "problem" with sim play, left at auto protect settings

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

to those above... find a better AV solution; what I, and some others run - doesn't present any "problem" with sim play, left at auto protect settings

Out of interest, which AV software do you use, Wolf Rider?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Norton, mate and there has never been a problem running DCS

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

I haven't run Norton for a few years, good to see it's working well, I might check it out. In the free market I had a serious problem with Bitdefender and DCS (well documented), and Avira was causing all sorts of stuttering. Avast seems to be good right out of the box, but I've now also excluded the Eagle Dynamics folder on my SSD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Avast users were indicating several problems with that solution... just to let you know

-

Hmm, that's not good. Would you stick with Avast, or is there another free AV that you'd recommend?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Avira Professional on my end, no problem so far but I would turn any AV off anyway as it behaves as SkateZilla said, thexy are low level file access filter drivers that intercept each and every file your CPU wants to chew on...

With tons of autoupdaters running on most systems it is hard to dsay one got it all under control, you simply cant or you have that but nothing else LoL.

Windows is like it is, a self employing OS....

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• ED Team

I just use windows defender, never gives me a problem.

Bitdefender and Avast have had many issues with DCS, I have never been a fan of norton, they all seem bloated and over intrusive to me.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don´t like to use an antivirus normally, at least not on my DCS pc. It only runs DCS and only will, so inside it I try to don't install unrelated DCS software. I read good reviews about 360 total security, it's free and has many options to maintain the system in good condition. My favourite trick is to make a raid 0 with my SSD's and provide to the system a read speed of 900 mb/sec. Nothing get stuttered ever.

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

Just goes to show how so many are just so 'precious' with/ about their machines - not to be negative, its just an observation.

I've tried "free", I've tried "share ware" (released free for the purposes of alpha testing), I've tried "paid for outright"... all I can say is; ya get what you pay for

-

I am using Nod32. I tried to exlude the DCS folder and the game mode tricks but they didn't help with the stutter issue i am having. (I am having once or twice half-a-minute momentary jumps... Not a big deal but still annoying).

Are you guys sure this is not a problem of the game itself? May be they fix it with an update.

Does anyone use AVG and more importantly AVG PC tune up and specifically AVG PC tune up turbo mode for gaming?

My gaming system is pure DCS. Nothing but DCS, every bit of software that does not belong there is not there.... I hope!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows VR setting: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, 90Hz refresh rate. Steam: VR SS set to 100%, motionReprojectionMode set to "motionreproduction" and Locked in at 45 Hz display,

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo.

Vaicom user. Thrustmeter warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone use AVG and more importantly AVG PC tune up and specifically AVG PC tune up turbo mode for gaming?

I would like to hear from others to. I use AVG and have just added DCS as an exception to it, doesn't seem to have done anything though. I'm still getting micro stutters.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

For what it's worth, disabling Hyperthreading on my 4790K just got rid of a bunch more stutters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For what it's worth, disabling Hyperthreading on my 4790K just got rid of a bunch more stutters

for me i left Hyperthreading, but i disabled ONBOARD intel video as it was causing issues. also noted C1E and speed step didnt seem to make much difference. if you run ATI and a R9 card Forcing 3D clocks can often net you another 5 to 10 FPS. in some areas on MP it's a matter of stuttering and not.

Edited by OldE24

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Hmm, that's not good. Would you stick with Avast, or is there another free AV that you'd recommend?

with "free" you get what you pay for... caveat emptor

That, apparently, works for some but not for others

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

I've pretty much elimintated micro stutters but it came at a high cost. literally...

Two GTX 980 Ti Cards in SLI

Since I run a 4k screen at 60Hz I need a lot of power to sustain good fps. While a single card gave me acceptable fps in the 40 to 60 fps range, I think my microstuttering was related to framerates below my refreshrate.

When I was maxed out at 60 fps with vsync I had no stuttering, but as soon as frames dropped below 60 I started to get stutters.

By keeping the fps maxed out to the monitors refresh rate at 60 fps, this seems to have fixed the problem.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

^^^ a downside of LCD screens, when Frame Rate falls below the Refresh Rate - most noticeable when panning left to right across the screen

-

Its not just an issue with regard to what hardware you have or how you set things up, something has changed in their latest build as prior to this build I didn't get any micro stutters, now I do ( I still dont get any on 1.5 ).

I do hope they are working on this issue and not writing it off as being down to just peoples hardware, etc.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Now I'm getting a single frame stutter exactly every three seconds. It only happens in the F-15 Red Flag campaign (only tested in mission 1). It doesn't occur in the instant missions, or with the F-15 generally. Only in the campaign, and in all views. Because it's not happening in other missions, I can't imagine it's something external to the game - must be EDGE related?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]