No more above 12G turns

rami80

With the latest update gone are our high g turns. However I feel concerned with the 12G limit, the plane instantly breaks apart at that point. While the F-15 can be taken there for a while(and even to 13G with CAS off). At least do it for both frames for the sake of realism and fairness.

Edited by rami80

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a bit of an annoyance with the Flanker in air start editor missions...I can't get 100% fuel, it spawns with 85%...Anyway, Here're three tacviews of the overload.

2 clean with 85% fuel, 1 with 2 R-73s on wingtips, 2 ERs on the centerline, and 2 ERs on the wings.

Not sure if they attached right or not...Hmmm....Will edit if needed.

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v0555u4iaiobk7q/AACNq_a_scg2RSMGNELl1K2-a?dl=0

EDIT: BTW, I'm using the wheel brake key to overload.

Edited by Sweep

Lord of Salt

There's a bit of an annoyance with the Flanker in air start editor missions...I can't get 100% fuel, it spawns with 85%...Anyway, Here're three tacviews of the overload.

2 clean with 85% fuel, 1 with 2 R-73s on wingtips, 2 ERs on the centerline, and 2 ERs on the wings.

Not sure if they attached right or not...Hmmm....Will edit if needed.

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v0555u4iaiobk7q/AACNq_a_scg2RSMGNELl1K2-a?dl=0

EDIT: BTW, I'm using the wheel brake key to overload.

Yes they attached right. The fuel thing seems to be a bug. I posted a report and it never got looked at. According to the tacview the airframe was going bananas at 9g?

Seems like 9.5G with a full fuel and weapon load, more like 10+ with high amounts of either fuel or weapons...

Tacview doesn't like showing certain parameters for me right before my aircraft explodes or the track ends...Noticed this in non-DCS tracks as well.

Lord of Salt

Oh this is gonna be good.. two birds with one stone:

1) Complaining about unrealistic high G maneuvers stops

2) Using S key will still kick ass at slow speed maneuvers but now even less people will bother to learn it :)

3) Now I can actually have a merge with Stuge and not eat 30mm or an Archer after 5 seconds. :megalol:

Lord of Salt

Short test revealed that Flanker disintegrates at ~13 G.

Eagle doesn't seem to be able to reach 13 G under any condition.

So in that respect it's all good, maybe a structural limit doesn't need to be modeled for Eagle.

However consequences from exceeding maximum speed could be added for all aircraft...

So in that respect it's all good, maybe a structural limit doesn't need to be modeled for Eagle.

However consequences from exceeding maximum speed could be added for all aircraft...

You can get it to 14G by switching Pitch CAS off. The flanker breaks at exactly 12g, slow down the track replay to check that.

You can get it to 14G by switching Pitch CAS off. The flanker breaks at exactly 12g, slow down the track replay to check that.

I'm not watching tracks, I'm performing live testing with external view which shows the G. I managed to go to at least 12.5 G without breaking it.

Hmm you're right the pitch CAS off does give a little extra G. May be future tactical applications :)

Looks like it may need a slight bit of tweaking in terms of unusual conditions producing incorrect overloads on the airframe, but in general this is a very good thing. No more unrealistic high speed >20G turns using direct control mode, yet direct mode is still viable and useful at lower airspeeds. Nice!

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Looks like it may need a slight bit of tweaking in terms of unusual conditions producing incorrect overloads on the airframe, but in general this is a very good thing. No more unrealistic high speed >20G turns using direct control mode, yet direct mode is still viable and useful at lower airspeeds. Nice!

yes, I really like it. Finally it gets more realistic.

Unfortante that we have TOP GUN tournament today though.

Edit: btw did they change anything with the damage model ?

Edited by holimoli

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

This is what I don't understand. It should be possible to over stress airframe on the eagle. just look at the example of the pilot who suffered from spatial disorientation. Instantaneous G was above 30 and sustained 15G for several seconds. The airframe was totally bent but was able to return to base.

It was 12.5g sustained over several seconds; no 15, no 30. That's from the pilot's own report - I forget his name now unfortunately.

The incident was from 1985 and it may have been with a 7.33g rated F-15A, but there's no guarantee of this.

You can repeat this more or less if the configuration is correct, otherwise the aerodynamics of the aircraft prevent it. This was specific GW, full-stick-aft, pilot actually bent over the stick. The aircraft flew back fine, but it could no longer be maintained and there would have probably been significant consequences at high AoA flight from the airframe warping.

Edit: Found the name of the pilot, Col. Kehoe

This is what I don't understand. It should be possible to over stress airframe on the eagle. just look at the example of the pilot who suffered from spatial disorientation. Instantaneous G was above 30 and sustained 15G for several seconds. The airframe was totally bent but was able to return to base.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

yes, I really like it. Finally it gets more realistic.

Unfortante that we have TOP GUN tournament today though.

Edit: btw did they change anything with the damage model ?

Not by any means a definitive answer, but it feels like it's now easier to incur damage to control surfaces or to the wings during low speed collisions, e.g. taxi accidents, failed take off attempts, heavy landings etc.

I spent a few hours tonight on the virtual aerobatics server & there were aircraft parts all over the runway at Pashkovsky from people trying to land at 350 Km/h or trying to take off 1m behind other aircraft (I'm looking at you, whoever you were F-15 pilot) :lol:

Edited by DarkFire

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I dont even need the S or W button to get rid of my wings.. Just happens at 900 speed starting a barrel-roll...lol..not even close to blacking out....

Yup, fly 800+ roll inverted and pull as rolling. No ASC or AOA over-ride required to have wings fly off. Million dollar question... Was this the intended behavior?

иɪɢнтмдяᴇ

http://www.51st.org/

yea i don thik its realistic since a pilot would sooner blackout then have entire wings rip clean off. due to over g.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD