DCS: SA342 Gazelle Q&A's

The_Fragger

Dear Simmers,

Here are the answers for the Q&A's on the Gazelle:

Q : Will multicrew support be available at release?

A : no

Q : The Sa-342 Gazelle module include HOT and Scout variant, or have separate modules?

A : The release version will feature the HOT3 viviane version only, other variants will be added through updates post release

Q: In single-player (no multicrew), I assume that the AI pilot takes over at this point?

A: no AI pilot, you do everything on your own, meaning you put the helicopter in hover manually, then engage the autopilot auto-hover mode, then go to the copilot position

Q: If the player is sitting in the aircraft commander position, are the flight controls still active? I.e., pushing cycling etc.

A: yes, you can pilot the helicopter from the commander position

Q:We've heard that there will be special support for the recon mission hard-coded into the Gazelle. Does this mean that, e.g., if a specific target is in the LOS of the Gazelle some event will be triggered?

A: Such features were at test stage some time ago but were given up for technical reasons, mostly FPS issue and multiplayer incompatibility

Q: is it going to have campaign juts like Iraq-iran war?

A: A campaign is provided named "Operation Dixmude" using the Caucasus map for a NATO like operation

Q: Are the following effects modeled?

- fog / icing

- overheating / overstressing of the engine or other parts

A: yes

Q: I noticed in the excellent start up video you released you mentioned a fully functional navigation system on the Gazelle, what functions will be available on the system?

A: The real french gazelle navigation system has been simulated

Q: What is the maximun range of the HOT 3 missile?

A : 4300 m

Q : Which sub variant of the gazelle will be added first post launch? SNEB? 20 mm? etc.

A: SNEB Rockets and 20mm gun

Q: Have you worked with real life Gazelle pilots to make this module ?

Q: Honestly, is there some systems that you are not able to put in the module compared to the real gazelle (by lack of information or other factors) ?

A: most sytems are fully functional, classified parts are not simulated

Q: Will there be a civil version or atleast a version without optics and weapons?

Q: What are the limitations on the targeting camera and laser?

A: camera specifications are described in the manual, the laser is just for distance calculation, not for guiding a weapons

Q: Do they overheat?

A: no, laser device doesn't lase continuously

Q: Will the Gazelle module have an engine damage model featuring the effects of excessive torque, engine TGT or oil temperature?

Q: Does the gazelle have radar and ir jammers and detection equipment?

A: no radar, no IR jammer, but RWR and Flare dispenser

Q: What systems will be modeled and to what fidelity?

A: all systems as real as we could

Q: I would also like to know more about multi-crew also.

will their be individual slots similar to the L-39 when viewing the multiplayer GUI?

if multi-seat functionality is limited, can you just sit as a passenger? (although i hope pilot and co-pilot HOT operator will have their respective functions)

A: Multi-crew features questions can be answered only when it will be available

Q: Is it possible to use the Gazelle as a JTAC and share the laser with others modules as A10C with research mode?

A: The gazelle can spot a target, send distance and heading to any other asset using the radio (no data link)

Q : The HOT missiles can launched on moving target like an Aircrafts or vehicules?

A: no fast moving assets, vehicles yes

Q: Has she been tested with the Oculus Rift?

If so, how does she look?

A: a video will be released soon showing the gazelle with oculus rift

Q: My question is has there / will there been any changes on your side that improves field resupplying, or is it going to essentially be the same options we have now?

A: same as we have now

Q: Will we have Force Feedback?

A: Force Feedback has not been fully implemented yet

Q: could you tell us more about the autopilot and trim system on the gazelle?

A: the autopilor provides more stability, and 4 modes : altitude hold,speed hold, auto-hover, slaved to the camera target

The trim features 2 systems, a trimmer like in ka-50 and a trim actuator just like a plane

Q: Which countries in the ME will be able to use the Gazelle?

A: all that have at least one livery defined, at release time it will be France,USA,UK,Germany,Greece,Israel,Russia,Serbia,Syria.

Q:if the wire is cut does the missile continue on trajectory until it makes contact on it flight path or until it runs out of energy or does it go into an abort profile and turn skyward and explode safely?

A: The missile will fly ballistic after the wire is cut and explode after some time

Q: Will the crew have a voice? eg will the commander be able to call out missile warnings, threats to the pilot etc?

A: no, The RWR features a radar missile launch warning already

Q: Will the Gazelle be flyable as a UK aircraft and will there be a UK skin?

Q: will gazelle use the upcoming garmin GPS if ED will release it?

A: no at the moment

Q: Does the gazelle have any lifitng capibilties like a hook like the Huey/Mi-8?

A: this will not be simulated at the moment

Q: Is the module planned to be released for version 1.5, 2.0 or both versions?

A: both versions

Q: Does the targeting sensor on the Gazelle use any type of IR pointer for any purpose that would allow it to visually designate targets for pilots wearing NVGs?

A : No

Q:Ah, that reminds me that somewhere I read about the danger of the rotor blades of the Gazelle hitting its tail during violent maneuvers. Can that happen in Polychop's Gazelle?

A: this feature has been implemented for tests, then removed because of lack of precise datas about it. It could be re-implemented a soon we have real datas we can rely on

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

Another question: What is the engagement envelope for the HOT missile? Max distance is 4300m. But, min. Distance, airspeed, altitude above ground?

I don't know about most of the data, but IIRC one of the reasons why Wags didn't hit at some point during the livestream was that he was flying too fast, the HOT is supposed to be fired below 180 kph or something like that.

• ED Team
I don't know about most of the data, but IIRC one of the reasons why Wags didn't hit at some point during the livestream was that he was flying too fast, the HOT is supposed to be fired below 180 kph or something like that.

I think I remember it being mentioned you needed to be below 180 to engage, I could be wrong

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for posting these Fragger, much appreciated.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I think I remember it being mentioned you needed to be below 180 to engage, I could be wrong

According to the flight manual for SA342 the following conditions must be met:

- One missile must be selected

- The distance between the target and the helicopter must be below 4300m

- The relative angle between the cmaera and the aircraft nose must be between 357 and 003 degrees

- Master arm switch must be ON

- Weapons Key must be on "MARCHE" (Working) position

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

does it have any troop carrying capability?

It has a total capacity of 5 people including the pilot/copilot. 3 in the backseat, it can alternatively carry up to 1100 pounds of cargo in the backseat.

It also has the possibility to use a hook for up to 1320 pounds.

I really hope they add the hook for it. Would be awesome to use this on Blueflag with HOTS and light cargo.

Yes but the Viviane version guys... It's the "fat ass" version. To give you a simple illustration, you need to be at 70% fuel capacity with 4 HOT, and a HOT is 23 kg heavy. So unless you just want to fly 20 minutes with it or your special forces soldiers are very slim, you won't carry 3 more people ;)

Nicolas

Thanks for posting these Fragger, much appreciated.

So I don't get my wobbly? :(

Oh - and the space for 3 people in the back is not enough for full CEFO. Trust me, I've spent many hours in the back of Gazelles. If you have an overweight officer with you, that's it - room only for hanging off the skids!.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 1 month later...
Q: Will we have Force Feedback?

A: Force Feedback has not been fully implemented yet

Is there an ETA on this? Is it a feature that is expected to be done soonish or is it of a lower priority?

For me personally, I find that FFB makes helo's vastly more intuitive to fly. I wouldn't call it "Unplayable" without FFB, but it certainly means the Gazelle sits parked in the hanger for me until it's live.

It's something were working on but the issue is that we don't currently have a FFB joystick to test with. So I've been working on getting several Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joysticks for testing. I've recently bough two and am awaiting them. Once tested to make sure they are working, we can start getting the code up and running for it.

It's something were looking forward to ourselves since the gazelle real pilots who've flown the module recommended we implement it.

Is there an ETA on this? Is it a feature that is expected to be done soonish or is it of a lower priority?

For me personally, I find that FFB makes helo's vastly more intuitive to fly. I wouldn't call it "Unplayable" without FFB, but it certainly means the Gazelle sits parked in the hanger for me until it's live.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

It works fine with simFFB as long as you don't use the Gazelle Force Trim button as that currently seems to be programmed for centre sprung joysticks and goes totally screwy with a FFB stick.

I have a question about the campaign. Is the voiceover used for the British Apache pilot used throughout the campaign?

I tried mission one but found the voiceover so irritating and slightly offensive (British Army Officers DO NOT talk like that!) given it is promoting an outdated stereotype, that I quit the mission early.

I may be able to bear it for a single mission but not for a whole campaign!

Please do not use this voice over in any further missions or modules.

Tin hat on, I am ready for the abuse that will no doubt follow this post. :holiday:

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Two Questions:

1) Why is it that I don't need any left rudder input when I suddenly decrease the collective (or lose power)? The sudden main rotor torque change must affect the helicopter somehow... She now feels like an RC helicopter with a heading hold gyro.

2) How/where do I select a radio to transmit over?

'Frett'

2) How/where do I select a radio to transmit over?

Not sure this is modelled yet.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS