DCS: SA342 Gazelle Q&A's

The_Fragger

WOW, storm, yeah 6 kills per sortie, nice! Btw how many km range have both ingame Gazelles (I bought the module just yesterday, will come home + install + fly it tonight :D ) ?

Range varies. Straight line cruise only or mission?

I usually fly the M with 4xHOTs and an IR suppresor with 65% fuel onboard. This allows me to travel about 35nm to a target, hover/shoot and return with some reserve. Carrying a full load of HOTs and full fuel, the helo is very sluggish and hard to effectively hover without overtorquing the engine.

Ovetorqing?? I mean a mission, nearly straight line. Or time? Can it fly 60 minutes? Or not? Or longer?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Ovetorqing?? I mean a mission, nearly straight line. Or time? Can it fly 60 minutes? Or not? Or longer?

The engine cannot handle hovering at full weight and can be over stressed if you're trying to pull more power than can be had.

In regards to range with a normal load, you're looking at 450nm in a straight line. No hovering, just cruising.

Check out Chuck's excellent guide on the Gazelle. It'll help.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=166627

Yeah, 6 kills is definitely worth it.

Fire the first two missiles fast and dirty!

We need mobile Farps in DCS real bad, a couple of cigarette smoking chaps with a truck full of jerry cans and HOT missiles! Then we will know the worth of attack choppers.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

OP Blue Flag server at least already has them! :D

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Mobile supply for choppers?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Well "FARPs", refueling & rearming. All the "X" symbols on this site: http://www.gadget.buddyspike.net

Thirsty little guy when you are operating it in urban battlefield conditions, having to chop your fuel to 50% and then hovering in town kills your sortie time. I know that the USCG's H-65 also uses gas like it might win a prize for being the first one finished.......

I have been messing around with full load fuel plus HOTs on the M, seems to do ok. I know I am stressing the powertrain a bit, but I have experienced no failures to date.

~S

When will trim be fixed? (To work on tail rotor, as my hand almost fell off tonight, holding my joystick turned to the right for maaaany minutes when flying slowly/hovering... Trim does nothing... :/ )

Would really love having the SA.342L with hots especially if it had 6x hots.

And i think if it got 6x hots then plenty of people would use it instead of the 342M.

Since while the 342M would still have a better Camera system for day time ops the 2 extra Hots would be more important for me atleast.

One downside maybe with Giving the L 6x hots could be less people getting the Bo-105 when it comes out.

Since one of its advantages over the 342M is that it carries 6 hots so if the 342L did the same that takes away that combat advantage for the 105.

Il be getting the 105 either both to get the RoK variant with its optical system (especially if it can Lase targets as has been suggested) and because i overall prefer the 105 over the Gazelle.

Though thats just speculation.

Either way i hope they give the 342L Hots hopefully both 4x or 6x or atleast 4x.

Would really love having the SA.342L with hots especially if it had 6x hots.

And i think if it got 6x hots then plenty of people would use it instead of the 342M.

Since while the 342M would still have a better Camera system for day time ops the 2 extra Hots would be more important for me atleast.

One downside maybe with Giving the L 6x hots could be less people getting the Bo-105 when it comes out.

Since one of its advantages over the 342M is that it carries 6 hots so if the 342L did the same that takes away that combat advantage for the 105.

Il be getting the 105 either both to get the RoK variant with its optical system (especially if it can Lase targets as has been suggested) and because i overall prefer the 105 over the Gazelle.

Though thats just speculation.

Either way i hope they give the 342L Hots hopefully both 4x or 6x or atleast 4x.

Do we even have confirmation Bo-105 is still in development? I would MUCH rather buy an american anti-tank/attack heli module from the 80s...

I'm confused Matt, I thought the M only carried four HOTs?

Having a better camera is certainly an advantage, but if you know what you are looking at and for, or if your target is known and in a space you can see without needing the IR as an advantage then six HOTs on an L would be preferable.....somewhat. the biggest limiter is range, not quantity. The TOWs on the APC's and tanks are killing me before I can get close enough to fire a HOT.

Works fine for me, did you check the box for rudder trim in the options?

Tried, which one do you mean? All I see are those ("Zurücksetzen" = reset):

attachment.php?attachmentid=158807&stc=1&d=1489256701

Tried, which one do you mean? All I see are those ("Zurücksetzen" = reset):

Nope, not in the Controls options. Not at my gaming PC right now, but I think it's Options -> Special -> SA-342 -> Rudder Trim

YESSSS THANKS!!!

Is there a way to "restart" the engine once it "fails" ? (red light "alarm", engine RPM going down or so) or is it a really unsafe engine and it can break by pilot applying too much power?

Wow. I had expected the manufacturer of Gazelle/of engine to make at least audible warning system too... (that small red flashing light can easily be overlooked!) Even to the large red alarm lamp there is no audio warning, wtf Aerospatiale? :P

Could we have a free "flight" mission for the 342L same as the Huey in NTTR that would make flight practise so much easier. As there are no training missions in DCS 2.x.x. for the Gazelle.

I don't have the Gazelle in DCS 1,5.x it's Steam incompatible. :(

Besides sometimes it's just great fun to go fly for no other reason then you can. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

All keyboard commands...

Hello all.

I use a HOTAS WARTHOG wit THROTTLE and 2 MFD's.

My biggest concern is that most of keyboard keys i want to use in Gazelle game ard not shown.

Suppose by exemple ... Altitude hold has no keyb command.

How can i configure for a profile ?

I do my best but i'm not a pro for profiling !!!

Sorry if my English is not so good !!! :book:

Under DCS controls for the airframe you want, select the command, double click the empty space in the keyboard column, enter an unused key combination and save it.

Map your device inputs (via target?) to the keyboard keys now mapped in DCS.

Hope this helps...

SIGBLOCK.png

Has anybody got the "SA342L Sights by Schmidtfire v1.0" mod from the User Files downloads to work? It's supposed to change the 'L' crosshairs depending on whether you have rockets or cannon armed, which would be useful, but it's stuck on the cannon sight when I install it.

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.