Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Hi,

I am quite new to VR and I own a Oculus since yesterday.

DCS is working well with the Oculus but one thing is really annoying.

I allways get a grey box with information of the button which I want to click.

How to disable this function?

Cheers and the best for 2017

Goose

Modules - F/A-18|F-16|F-14|F-5|F-86|A-10C|AJS-37|AV-8B|JF-17|MiG-15|MiG-21|M2000C|C101|L39|FC3|UH-1H|Ka-50|Mi-8|SA342|P-51D|Spitfire Mk9|Bf-109K4|Fw-190D9|CA|SC|PG|NTTR|

System - 8700K @4.9Ghz, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, GTX-1080,VKB Gunfighter and Warthog Hotas,Track-IR

Yes, it is the tool tips that isn't functioning as we'd like them. You can turn them off in the options menu, but if you're on a multi player server, the server settings will still over ride your local settings, so it may rear it's ugly head there still, and it is down to the server admin to set them to off.

Hello Occulus Rift Gentlemen

Is it normal to have DCS run on your desktop when you have the Rift on your head? If so, is there a way to let the PC know to output only to the Rift until you exit the game?

I believe it is only showing the left eye view when on screen. No way to turn off from what I have found so far.

Thank you guys. I just got the rift and as many stated so far, with all its current limitations, it is very hard to go back to a flat screen :)

Makes you really see and appreciate the level of excellence the DCS team has achieved.

Like owning a museum and nobody tells you "no"

Like owning a museum and nobody tells you "no"

I think this little snippet of a quote describes DCS better than everything that's been written here previously!

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

So hopefully Oculus has something like this in store this year...

Vive Gloves... (jump to 3:19)

Damn, now I am holding off on buying the Rift...I can wait for VR..after seeing the Vive video..

:bounce:

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

Do keep in mind that DCS has to support the glove. So it may be a while.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

2nd and 3rd gen stuff isn't too far away, and you can guarantee that there will be hand tracking of some description for all platforms, and as was hinted at, a wireless technology is a must too.

First gen, the Rift had the edge in DCS World at least, but what is in the pipeline, and will determine the pecking order of the future is a total unknown.

What was a little strange was the lack of any discussion of higher resolution, wider fields of view. Both of which are fundamental flaws - far more so than hand tracking and wireless units in my opinion.

The other unknown is how long we'll be waiting for these developments to make it to the stores. I suspect waiting for this stuff may mean depriving yourself of a perfectly viable system, and a great experience for several years.

What was a little strange was the lack of any discussion of higher resolution, wider fields of view. Both of which are fundamental flaws - far more so than hand tracking and wireless units in my opinion.

I agree, but that all comes with a performance hit; at the moment there's no point upgrading the screens when many PCs already struggle to deliver adequate FPS with the current number of pixels. In other words, higher res screens can probably be achieved, but processing power won't allow full use of them.

Eye tracking may be the solution to this problem. We only need high res at the centre of our vision, so a lot of processing power could be saved by reducing detail in our peripheral vision. The head set would need to know where we were looking for this to work of course.

In other words, higher res screens can probably be achieved, but processing power won't allow full use of them.

OTOH, many of us are running DCS at a pixel density>1, which means DCS is rendering at a higher resolution, and oculus then downscales this to the native VR resolution.

Another advantage with higher res screens are less lcd grid, or screen door effect, even if we render at lower res than possible, higher res screens will help.

But visuals are really good, today, IMO. Sure, I want bigger-better-faster and more, just like everybody else. But what I really want is a natural way of interacting with the virtual world.

Sure, a VR glove would be nice. But once your physical hand has guided the virtual hand to the switch or lever...what does it do? Interaction must use some sort of gesturing. But you will still just be pointing in thin air. I just don't see how this will work, unless we wear a exoskeleton that restrict our movements when we reach something. How do we else achieve physical feedback..?

cause the Power Glove was a Big hit for Nintendo.... :megalol::music_whistling:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OTOH, many of us are running DCS at a pixel density>1, which means DCS is rendering at a higher resolution, and oculus then downscales this to the native VR resolution.

Another advantage with higher res screens are less lcd grid, or screen door effect, even if we render at lower res than possible, higher res screens will help.

But visuals are really good, today, IMO. Sure, I want bigger-better-faster and more, just like everybody else. But what I really want is a natural way of interacting with the virtual world.

Sure, a VR glove would be nice. But once your physical hand has guided the virtual hand to the switch or lever...what does it do? Interaction must use some sort of gesturing. But you will still just be pointing in thin air. I just don't see how this will work, unless we wear a exoskeleton that restrict our movements when we reach something. How do we else achieve physical feedback..?

I m not sure higher res will have positive effect on SDE. This mostly depends on the distance between each pixel. It can even make it worse, with higher number and smaller pixels this means more noticeable distance between them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just replaced my DK2 with the CV1. Even thought it's a step up in capability, I noticed almost straight away that the depth of the 3D isn't quite what it was in the DK2. That affects the feeling of height and distance particularly in choppers. Lost the sensation of vertigo. Almost wish I had kept the DK2 in that respect, First world problem I guess. Anyone else who had a DK notice that?

for me it was definitely apparent as the FOV is totally different. Your eyes are much further from the lenses and therefore you get the "binocular" effect on CV1. I noticed I was turning my head a lot more and using less peripheral vision than DK2.

cause the Power Glove was a Big hit for Nintendo.... :megalol::music_whistling:

Yeah and look at the VR of the same period compared to what we have now. I think it's safe to say we've come a long way and can make this work ;)

Intel Core i9-10850K

ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master

32 GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz DDR4

Thrustmaster Warthog/ HP Reverb G2

Right.

Spent a while reinstalling everything and just don't know where I'm going wrong.

I have a DK2 - so don't know which set of instructions to use.

I have the oculus software running. I can look around the store and everything.

DCS is up and running, with auto-detect oculus ticked.

Mission loads up and nothing. Just the standard monitor screen.

There is a set of instructions mentioning Bilago's runtime manager but the program can't find the oculus runtime and I don't know where to point it to.

Is the DK2 being killed off by oculus? Been out of the loop for a while.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

I think, the DK2 will not be longer supported in next Time by Oculus.

You can start the Oculus-Center, go to Settings -> General -> and aktivate "Unknow Sources" Then it will work i think.

Thanks.

I've noticed that DCS wasn't "auto"-updated.

Updating now so probably that'll make things work.

Maybe............

@MrReynolds,

Just to give you confidence, I have a DK2, and running the latest Oculus Drivers(1.10.2.322199) on Windows 10, DCS runs fine in VR.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)