Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

So I just figured I would post my honest opinion of DCS (only DCS)in VR using the Oculus Rift.

My system Basic Specs are as follows: ( I won't bore you with all the model numbers, but believe me, they are pretty stout)

I7-6700K

16gb RAM

2 x SSD (one on the MB and one on a cable)

MSI GTX1080

Ben Q 27" 144hz Monitor

Not sure how to put this.......... I like it (a lot) and I don't like it (a lot).

I wont get into the "feeling" you get when you fly in VR, that in itself is amazing. You really feel like you are in a cockpit. I mean, the thing that really got me was the 3 dimensional way the cockpit looked, you could "see" the gap between a hydraulic line and the roof of the cockpit. (in the KA-50) I felt like I was in a Disney Ride, nausea and all.

I will say you won't find yourself throwing the aircraft around anymore, why, because you will throw up all over your nice PC.

But the screen door effect. MAN, that sucks. If you want to fly for the sheer joy of it and do BVR missions then it is the thing for you. But I will say, even reading the Scope on the F-15C is kinda difficult (unless you line up with it and move your head forward, then sure, it's readable). Forget about "reading" the small text on the gauges and such.

Yes, my pixel density is at 2.0.

I have tried all different types of aircraft and helo's, and while you really can do it all (A to A and A2G),hell in my first time in the F-15C I shot down 2 planes, one with guns, so it isn't all that hard, it is just really hard to get past that pixelation, for me.

I am not sure how it is going to be going back to non-VR, but i'm sure it'll be fine.

This isn't meant to discourage anyone, I don't regret getting the Rift (picked it up for 400, not with the touch), but if you like Multiplayer and A2G, get a good monitor.

I was more impressed with switching from a 24" 1920x1200 60hz monitor the the BenQ 27" 144hz. The quality of the image between the two is quite noticeable.

Hey diceman, I understand and feel your conflict. I too have been disappointed by the loss of the 'eye candy' but like most I have come to accept it because of the overall immersion of VR being so great. I've only had my Rift 5 days and as anyone can see in this forum I've been asking a lot of questions. I posted yesterday about being in touch with Nvidia to find out how to adjust the headset through their control panel as you would a screen...unfortunately Rift/Vive designs their product not to be co-operative with graphic card settings. So any graphic settings outside of DCS options will have no affect according to Nvidia...unfortunately. In addition I haven't found any graphic settings in Oculus either. I will continue searching for a way to tweak through DCS, perhaps there's an app out there somewhere.

In the mean time, fortunately I have a new Alienware system capable of raising the ingame graphic levels while maintaining a decent FPS.

Connecting a monitor to the port you have rift connected to allows you to go into Nvidia control panel and adjust from there. Vibrancy, gamma, and set output dynamic range in change resolution to Full so far are these are the only ones I've been told will work. When I have more time I'll try some others. It's 100%+ improvement, I went up to 90 for vibrancy, most will probably go to 65-75...the color is full and rich really it's fantastic now!

Edit: I moved the vibrancy down to 80...even better!

Edited by fitness88

Connecting a monitor to the port you have rift connected to allows you to go into Nvidia control panel and adjust from there. Vibrancy, gamma, and set output dynamic range in change resolution to Full so far are these are the only ones I've been told will work. When I have more time I'll try some others. It's 100%+ improvement, I went up to 90 for vibrancy, most will probably go to 65-75...the color is full and rich really it's fantastic now!

What do you mean when you say to connect a monitor to the port you have the Rift connected to?

It plugs in HDMI and USB.....

What do you mean when you say to connect a monitor to the port you have the Rift connected to?

It plugs in HDMI and USB.....

Remove Rift HDMI from your video card then using a monitor through that port make changes. Remember to change from application controlled to Nvidia controlled.

My Rift is in the mail and I'm itching to get into it when it arrives!

How can I rig an external monitor to show what's going on in VR to someone else..?

Is it possible to manipulate the view they are seeing independent of VR? ie. have an external aircraft view on the monitor while cockpit view in VR?

Occulus Rift i7-7700 3.6Ghz 16GB Ram 1080Ti 11GB SSDx2

My Rift is in the mail and I'm itching to get into it when it arrives!

How can I rig an external monitor to show what's going on in VR to someone else..?

Is it possible to manipulate the view they are seeing independent of VR? ie. have an external aircraft view on the monitor while cockpit view in VR?

There is a mirror on your monitor of what you are looking at whilst playing, but it is one eye view only and of course 2d. Only real way for them to see it in VR is to let them wear the headset.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So it is assumed you have a monitor and your VR connected to same vid card. For instance connected to my 1080 I have 3 lcds going to the 3 displayport ports and my VR is connected to the HDMI port on it. So when I use my Rift, a view does show on the desktop at same time. It is the left eye view. This is the mirror image that by default gets displayed on your monitor.

Makes sense?

As to your other question...no, you can't have the monitor show a different view than what you are seeing. Even without VR being involved you can't have two different views on different displays within DCS.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ok.... is that going to be from a different output from the video card?

Sorry for he Noob Q!

I think the mirror displayed on your monitor comes through a sub program of Oculus, your monitor is plugged into your video card which gets the signal and is displayed on the monitor.

Edited by fitness88

So it is assumed you have a monitor and your VR connected to same vid card. For instance connected to my 1080 I have 3 lcds going to the 3 displayport ports and my VR is connected to the HDMI port on it. So when I use my Rift, a view does show on the desktop at same time. It is the left eye view. This is the mirror image that by default gets displayed on your monitor.

Makes sense?

Absolutely- thanks!

I have yet to get the Rift or my new GTX 1060 so had no idea of the type of connections.

Occulus Rift i7-7700 3.6Ghz 16GB Ram 1080Ti 11GB SSDx2

Edit: I moved the vibrancy down to 80...even better!

I tried this and there was a marked improvement in the RIFT display.

However, when I reconnected my monitor via the displayport the resolution on my monitor was set to a default of '720p, 1280 x 720 (recommended)' and no matter what I try I can't get it back to its original 1080p 1920 x 1080 setting. Grrrrrr

I've tried re-installing the nVidia drivers and a new displayport cable and nothing works.

I have an MSI GTX 1070 which has only one HDMI port (for the RIFT) and 3 displayport ports, none of which will give me back my 1080p resolution I had before trying this fix.

My RIFT experience is now great but my desktop resolution is pants!!!

I blame you fitness88! Curse you! :)

Anybody had a similar issue or can recommend a solution. I've spent half a day trying googled fixes but so far no joy. :(

Regards,

WB.

I tried this and there was a marked improvement in the RIFT display.

However, when I reconnected my monitor via the displayport the resolution on my monitor was set to a default of '720p, 1280 x 720 (recommended)' and no matter what I try I can't get it back to its original 1080p 1920 x 1080 setting. Grrrrrr

I've tried re-installing the nVidia drivers and a new displayport cable and nothing works.

I have an MSI GTX 1070 which has only one HDMI port (for the RIFT) and 3 displayport ports, none of which will give me back my 1080p resolution I had before trying this fix.

My RIFT experience is now great but my desktop resolution is pants!!!

I blame you fitness88! Curse you! :)

Anybody had a similar issue or can recommend a solution. I've spent half a day trying googled fixes but so far no joy. :(

Regards,

WB.

I plugged my monitor into the same hdmi video port where the rift goes and then went into Nvidia settings. My hdmi port color setting was setup for program control so I changed to "Use Nvidia Setting". I then adjusted color vibrance the hue I left alone and then replugged in Oculus to that port. Then when you went and plugged your monitor back into its original port you should go back and select 'application controlled'.

As for the resolution, you can adjust through the Nvidia control panel or right click on the desktop and choose display settings.

Also I changed dynamic color which is best on full [Nvidia resolution tab].

• Like 1

I'm not sure VR is for me fellas. I had a DK2, I only used it a handful of times, disappointing resolution, and worst of all it made me queezy.

I just had to get my hands on a CV1 and try it out. Found one for well below market value and snatched it up. Resolution is way better than the DK2, I can mostly read the cockpit gauges and HUD now, it's to the point where it's good enough for what I wanted to do. But the FOV is noticeably narrow for me, it feels like I'm looking through a tube (maybe having 3 monitors has spoiled me). The nose gap seems almost non-existent on my face, makes using my panels that I spent so much time building pretty difficult. It still feels pretty heavy and noticeable to wear. And again, it's making me queezy, even at 90fps. I never get motion sick IRL, something about VR isn't jiving with me.

I keep falling in love with the idea of VR but I'm not sure if it's ever going to work out for me. I know a lot of guys say they're never going back to a monitor but VR just isn't sucking me in like I though it would. I think instead I'm just going to end up with a large 4k screen.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Deezle: It comes down to how much the 3D/VR means to you. For me I don't think I could go back to a 3 monitor set-up. It's like real world v. arcade. I know we all struggle with the graphics some more some less. When I first got started with Rift I knew I needed to do some serious tweaking and investigate how to do more tweaking which is exactly what I did and brought my graphics up to a more than acceptable level. Now combined with the VR...there's no going back for me!

I had a bit of queasiness the first few days but then it stopped.

I plugged my monitor into the same hdmi video port where the rift goes and then went into Nvidia settings. My hdmi port color setting was setup for program control so I changed to "Use Nvidia Setting". I then adjusted color vibrance the hue I left alone and then replugged in Oculus to that port. Then when you went and plugged your monitor back into its original port you should go back and select 'application controlled'.

As for the resolution, you can adjust through the Nvidia control panel or right click on the desktop and choose display settings.

Also I changed dynamic color which is best on full [Nvidia resolution tab].

:thumbup: Thank You for sharing this info,I realized my monitor was sill using the Old screw pin type cable but both my monitor and graphics card where HDMI compatible,Got the cable,Changed Dynamic Color to "Full Range".Changed Vibrancy to 70.Gave it a go and...Wow!! Very,very nice:thumbup: I'm still experimenting with my settings but It seems to lesson the screen door effect for me.

Patrick

mini.gif

Deezle: It comes down to how much the 3D/VR means to you. For me I don't think I could go back to a 3 monitor set-up. It's like real world v. arcade. I know we all struggle with the graphics some more some less. When I first got started with Rift I knew I needed to do some serious tweaking and investigate how to do more tweaking which is exactly what I did and brought my graphics up to a more than acceptable level. Now combined with the VR...there's no going back for me!

I had a bit of queasiness the first few days but then it stopped.

Don't get me wrong, I love all the 3d details that pop out that you never notice with a monitor, and the resolution is what I'd call adequate for helo work, I'm just not sure it's for me with the narrow FOV and making most of my pit unusable. The depth perception was always the biggest thing I've wanted out of VR but I've gotten to the point where I can set a helo down anywhere I need it without VR (and even a little better with VR of course), so it isn't really a need at this point. I'll probably enjoy the novelty for a bit more and then sell it off, shouldn't lose much if any for what I paid.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Don't get me wrong, I love all the 3d details that pop out that you never notice with a monitor, and the resolution is what I'd call adequate for helo work, I'm just not sure it's for me with the narrow FOV and making most of my pit unusable. The depth perception was always the biggest thing I've wanted out of VR but I've gotten to the point where I can set a helo down anywhere I need it without VR (and even a little better with VR of course), so it isn't really a need at this point. I'll probably enjoy the novelty for a bit more and then sell it off, shouldn't lose much if any for what I paid.

It's not for everyone. But I noticed you're using 970. Are you also in Win7? with 970, you may not have enough horsepower and it's causing timewarp to kick in. And if you don't have W10, space warp can't even kick in.

The latency caused by missing frames causes the motion sickness. I remember getting sick with DK2 and non-optimized DCS. These days, I don't have any issues. Finally, try some ginger. It works amazing well for motion sickness. Every bit as good as Dramamine w/o having to take, well, Dramamine.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I wouldn't wait too long if you have plans to sell it...the price in Canada dropped by $200.00 a couple of weeks ago and I think by $100.00 in the U.S..

:thumbup: Thank You for sharing this info,I realized my monitor was sill using the Old screw pin type cable but both my monitor and graphics card where HDMI compatible,Got the cable,Changed Dynamic Color to "Full Range".Changed Vibrancy to 70.Gave it a go and...Wow!! Very,very nice:thumbup: I'm still experimenting with my settings but It seems to lesson the screen door effect for me.

Please post back here if you find any other settings that will work through this procedure.

I received an email back from the support team at Oculus, in response to my question about not having full graphics card integration:

We're going to take some time to look into this so please be patient with us as we do that.

Regards,

Peter

Oculus Support

Please post back here if you find any other settings that will work through this procedure.

I received an email back from the support team at Oculus, in response to my question about not having full graphics card integration:

We're going to take some time to look into this so please be patient with us as we do that.

Regards,

Peter

Oculus Support

Hi fitness I am glad it worked out for you.

Also have you used the stand alone calibration Tool helps with latency and lag plus tilt problems due to temperature issues.

Which ends up people feeling a little sickly.

Hi fitness I am glad it worked out for you.

Also have you used the stand alone calibration Tool helps with latency and lag plus tilt problems due to temperature issues.

Which ends up people feeling a little sickly.

No never heard of it but fortunately I don't have any of those issues.

See the post regarding video card tweaking, it helps.

I have been back to playing it flat-screen and I tried DCS 2 with the VR last night. MAN, I still love the depth of the cockpits, and as far as A2A, I can deal with it.

Imma try that video card deal to see what that gets me.