Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I have not heard of this problem , having read every VR scrap on this forum for the last couple of years . Certainly , he is running an unusual GPU configuration , and I can't help but wonder if that is the issue . If he has been in fact running the Rift successfully in other applications for the past year , and if he has Not added any additional loads to his USB buss coincident with downloading DCS , I would consider disabling/removing the monitor graphics card altogether .

If he did get HOTAS for DCS , and has a bunch of other stuff connected to the USB buss , maybe not enough USB power for the sensors/Rift leds .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have not heard of this problem , having read every VR scrap on this forum for the last couple of years . Certainly , he is running an unusual GPU configuration , and I can't help but wonder if that is the issue . If he has been in fact running the Rift successfully in other applications for the past year , and if he has Not added any additional loads to his USB buss coincident with downloading DCS , I would consider disabling/removing the monitor graphics card altogether .

If he did get HOTAS for DCS , and has a bunch of other stuff connected to the USB buss , maybe not enough USB power for the sensors/Rift leds .

yep, that would be next plan, test with just 1 video card.

This would point to, 1. DCS incompatibility with hardware setup, 2. driver issue, which is about the same problem, 3. DCS/VR rendering problem, which last would lead to a. repair/uninstall/reinstall Oculus software b. how I optimize FPS is easing the work VR has to do,

so in NVidia driver setup, 'texture quality'<> "performance",

MSAA OFF,

FXAA OFF,

VIRTUAL REALITY pre-renderframes "4" (<<< !),

Optimization OFF

Antialias <> Application

Anisotropic <> Application

in DCS

MSAA OFF OR TRY lowest 2x (Sometimes OFF makes things worse)

SSAA OFF

in DCS VR Tab

Pixel density "1"

Custom IPD nope

etc

and see of stutters are gone, the picture will look washed out horrible but if no stutters you can then dial things back in

Oh and try

Oculus Tray Tool

which runs parallel to Oculus software and sets Supersampling AA and "ASW" per game title, and is another pain in the neck to figure out, just to smoothen the Rift output

I for instance dial in Texture filtering quality for DCS to "performance" which is an idiot choice and then dial

Oculus Tray Tool

Supersampling to max 2.5, which is an insane choice

VIRTUAL REALITY pre-renderframes "4" which is weird

DCS VR

Pixel density to 1.6, which is weird because this should be the same as Oculus Tray Tool SS,

but this works, reasonable sharpness, smooth.

What happens is with 'Texture filtering quality' to "performance", this more than halves the texture size and thus rendering work,

and then these smaller textures I then Max out with supersampling of he Tray Tool and then DCS. How weird is that.

Oculus updates on their software are also sometimes quite drastic and keep up with that, my Sensors work a lot better since the last update for instance, this VR stuff is just all too new.

With other VR titles then again, everything standard works fine.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

WOW this could cause a person to start drinking..... all we have managed to do is make it worse.

his oculus now is blacking out. im sure I could use C-4 on it and it WILL fix it! Still working the issue.

306th TFS Home of the "WILDHARE's" :pilotfly::gun_sniper: A10,F-14, F-15, F16, F18, AV88, UH1,KA 50, Oculus Rift ,Hotas Warthog, Stable & Beta, VRK :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight Core 3.2 ghz, RAM- 32 GB, GeForce GTX 1070

WOW this could cause a person to start drinking..... all we have managed to do is make it worse.

his oculus now is blacking out. im sure I could use C-4 on it and it WILL fix it! Still working the issue.

return and replace ?

The Rift connection cable also plugs into the goggles side.

Find a YT that shows how to unclick the foam holder from the Rift, unplug the cable from the goggles (clean with air or alcohol, maybe), re-plug in, test.

?

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

processor- intel® core i7-4790k CPU @ 4.0 Ghz

installed RAM- 16 GB

Win 10 version 1830 os build 17134.590

Graphic card - GTX 980 --Dual cards-- Top card is for Oculus only bottom card has three monitors attached. no change to the Jittering with only one monitor in.

Have you tried disconnecting the SLI bridge? Have you guys tried to swap your Rift/cable? At least you can isolate it before RMA'ing it.

But I would first disconnect the second card completely as step one. I don't mean just the monitors, I mean the whole card.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

We have disconnected the SLI bridge. At this point we have a computer nerd coming to test and configure to his hearts content. I am holding off with the c4 but may sneak a MK 82 with tail fuze only.

306th TFS Home of the "WILDHARE's" :pilotfly::gun_sniper: A10,F-14, F-15, F16, F18, AV88, UH1,KA 50, Oculus Rift ,Hotas Warthog, Stable & Beta, VRK :: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight Core 3.2 ghz, RAM- 32 GB, GeForce GTX 1070

Hi, people!

Can somebody explain is it possible to adjust head turning speed or sensivity, like with TrackIr? I mean, that it is really difficult to turn my head at 180 degrees during dogfights, my neck is under pressure...

Pimax 8K • Intel Core i9-9900K • MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio • MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON • 32 MB Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz • SSD Samsung 860 EVO 2TB • 49" Samsung CHG90 C49HG90DMI • VKBsim MCG PRO

Hi, people!

Can somebody explain is it possible to adjust head turning speed or sensivity, like with TrackIr? I mean, that it is really difficult to turn my head at 180 degrees during dogfights, my neck is under pressure...

No.

VR is 1:1 tracking, and can't imagine how it would feel otherwise - I could imagine getting pretty sea sick if it accelerated like a TIR does.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No.

VR is 1:1 tracking, and can't imagine how it would feel otherwise - I could imagine getting pretty sea sick if it accelerated like a TIR does.

Thank you.

So sad, it will be better to make such adjustment anyway...

Pimax 8K • Intel Core i9-9900K • MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio • MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON • 32 MB Corsair DDR4 3000 MHz • SSD Samsung 860 EVO 2TB • 49" Samsung CHG90 C49HG90DMI • VKBsim MCG PRO

Thank you.

You stand up from you chair

Thank you.

I think what you really want is a TrackIR along with some regular video goggles, like what the RC guys use when flying FPV. I'm not quite sure how many people would buy such an immersion-providing device to use it for non-immersive purposes.

Alternatively, you can start daily neck muscle stretching routines :) Also, try using your torso in conjunction with your neck. If you throw your shoulders into it a little bit, you can easily check your 6.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Or buy a headset with a decent FOV. Rift is in the lower range.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Hi, people!

That's a bad thing? That's the way it would be in a real dog fight, and the ultimate goal of a flight sim is to mimic real life as closely as possible. You have to lean and twist your body in VR to look behind you, just like you would in the real thing...minus the G forces of course. :D

Besides, like Don said, going outside of 1:1 tracking when you have no other visual references will definitely raise the upchuck factor.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

That's a bad thing? That's the way it would be in a real dog fight, and the ultimate goal of a flight sim is to mimic real life as closely as possible.

Rift FOV is bad, it has nothing to do with realism. It's much easier to check your six in other headsets, or in real life.

Now checking your six in a high-g turn is another thing.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Rift FOV is bad, it has nothing to do with realism. It's much easier to check your six in other headsets, or in real life.

Now checking your six in a high-g turn is another thing.

The only current consumer headset I am aware of with a larger FOV than the Rift is the new Pimax units. And folks are having to really work with it to try and get an acceptable performance. The tech is just not there yet to be able to run that kind of high FOV with today's hardware.

The new units coming next from HTC and Oculus should hopefully have a little larger FOV.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi, people!

It would make people puke due to a mismatch between visual and propioceptive (neck position) input.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hi, people!

You're in a VR cockpit now with all the physical restrictions that comes with it. Can't you just deal with it like real pilots do?

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

You're in a VR cockpit now with all the physical restrictions that comes with it. Can't you just deal with it like real pilots do?

Not forgetting real pilots are also strapped in tightly and under G. Both of which restrict movement further, balanced against being provided with grab handles to pull themselves around.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Not forgetting real pilots are also strapped in tightly and under G. Both of which restrict movement further, balanced against being provided with grab handles to pull themselves around.

So true. When I fly on my gliding club's humble Ask13, the straps are so tight that looking back is virtually impossible.

Greetings, looking for some advice, I have i7-4790K not OC'd. Would any of these cards work decently (keep 45 FPS) with the Rift: Vega 56, Vega 64 (nitro+) or RTX 2070? With high settings (but not very high or ultra), low shadows and reduced trees. I'm looking for guestimates or if you happen to have the same combo...

I can maintain 45fps with shadows off, vis range medium. Currently running PD 1.2 and msaa2. Gotta undervolt which is easy with latest crimson driver.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hi, people!

As others have said. No.

But what you can do is intelligent use of the recenter button if it is that much of an issue for you.

Look to 3 o’clock. Recenter. Looks to 9 o’clock. Congratulations - you’re now looking behind you.

Look forwards. Recenter.

Looking at my 6 on VR is very hard for me too, but I like it.

The problem is when you have a dogfight with someone using TrackIr :pilotfly:

They are just sitting at a remote drone operating station though. Everything out of VR is just simlite, in my opinion.

Looking at my 6 on VR is very hard for me too, but I like it.

The problem is when you have a dogfight with someone using TrackIr :pilotfly:

For me, having a bandit in close whether they were on my 6 or about to merge... VR gave me the most tactical awareness possible. I was able to swing my head around, glance at SA page, flip my head around. I think what helps is that you know that natural position of where that aircraft will be since VR is a 1:1 scale. Problem was, target identity. I was chasing a blurry pixel. It just didn't look good and that broke immersion for me. Or, mid fight i needed to feel around for a button that I could not see.

With TrackIR I think it is easier to lose exactly where that bandit is in relation to your head movements.Since you're making small movements vs real. Obviously, having used TIR now for over a decade I've gotten pretty good at it, but it can still be a challenge. Also, I dont need to feel around for a control, I can glance in my Simpit and switch a radio in SRS pretty easily and things just look a whole lot better; but its a screen, which breaks that immersion, too.

Both offer advantages - but I think VR wins in a in-close dog fight.