Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Program files>Oculus>diagnostics>oculus debug tool in file explorer . I had to leave it running , as it would not save the "off" setting .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I've noticed lots of weird melting/ghosting for a long time but had basically gotten used to it. Especially during loading screens it would geg all wacky. Recently though I stopped setting pixel density in game and now leave it at 1.0 in game and use the debug tool to set it to 1.3 amd disable asw. In the process I also started changing a setting for "adaptive gpu performace scale" to off. No idea why but it completely gets rid of all the ghosting melting for me in dcs even in the loading screens. I also always launch dcs via the "file/launch app" drop down in the debug tool as it seems the most consistant way to ensure my oculus options apply properly 100% of the time.

Wow, I think you found something with disabling the "Adaptive GPU Performance Scale". My ghosting issues with fly-bys and the wings morphing when banking is eliminated. The side views aren't completely smooth, but they are better. My fps does go up when do a fly-by for example, but in cockpit(Tomcat w/ mirrors on) it stays around 45. Thanks for the tip. normally stuff like this doesn't work for me. :)

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Program files>Oculus>diagnostics>oculus debug tool in file explorer . I had to leave it running , as it would not save the "off" setting .

I've read in some places they say to turn it off or it can cause stutters but I haven't had that problem. I always open oculus, open debug, set my settings then launch DCS from the debug tool and then leave it open. It's worked perfect every time.

Hello guys, just picked up an Oculus rift myself and new to the VR party.

So far, I have delted the Metashaders folder and FXO to try force new ones. Graphics wise I have changed game resolution down to 1080p from 1440p and picked the VR preset in graphics as I though it would be low enough to get a benchmark to tweak.

Joined friends server with little AI in not too much, but the game just keeps crashing before the startup has even finished

Specs are

AMD 2600X

16GB 2666MHz

GTX980Ti

Is DCS that bad for VR? I seem to get good performance on ACC with decent graphics too

Any help would be massively appreciated

Not a lot of people are flying a 980ti in VR so it may be hard to benchmark. On paper it should work. Try the following settings:

Textures high

Terrain textures low

PD=1.2

MSAA off

Shadows off

Vis range med

Trees 60%

Civ traffic, grass, clutter, smoke off

Monitor resolution only affects your monitor, and doesn't affect VR performance. Set this, and everything else, as desired.

As for crashing in MP, think about memory problems. Update your MOBO bios, check your memory timings. Think about buying an SSD and migrate DCS to that to reduce your load times. If all else fails there's a setting in regedit that you can use to increase the timeout value but I'll leave that for somebody who knows what they are doing (I did it, and it worked, but can't find the reference now)

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Not a lot of people are flying a 980ti in VR so it may be hard to benchmark. On paper it should work. Try the following settings:

Textures high

Terrain textures low

PD=1.2

MSAA off

Shadows off

Vis range med

Trees 60%

Civ traffic, grass, clutter, smoke off

Monitor resolution only affects your monitor, and doesn't affect VR performance. Set this, and everything else, as desired.

As for crashing in MP, think about memory problems. Update your MOBO bios, check your memory timings. Think about buying an SSD and migrate DCS to that to reduce your load times. If all else fails there's a setting in regedit that you can use to increase the timeout value but I'll leave that for somebody who knows what they are doing (I did it, and it worked, but can't find the reference now)

I have DCS on it’s own SSD, and setup a cache too on an ssd just to ease the load if required as DCS seems to crash without that even before VR. Everything is upto date bios etc. Maybe for DCS at least better CPU/GPU or combo is required. Trying to decide if 2060 will be enough or just wait longer until I can get a 2080 - or wait to see what the 2060 super will be like. Maybe adding another 16GB may help too? Seem to be pretty smooth overall as said can do racing games on High detail levels with ASW and no jitters.

There's a theory that dcs wants as many texture mapping units as you can throw at it. Consider a Vegas 56 if you want to go cheap. Or a 1080.

Doesn't sound very glamorous but upgrading to a b450 Mobo with decent ram helped me a lot. I'll probably gen one of the new ryzen CPUs when they come out.

Only so much you can do with Oculus. Don't spend a fortune on your GPU, just get one that'll work in dcs

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

My 1070 does very well with the Rift . My graphics priorities are shadows ( low cockpit , flat terrain) , civil traffic (low) , water (high) and msaax2 . Trees are at 62% . I'm getting a very fluid experience solo very low over the Caucasus with it and these settings . (I'm a mud-mover in the Hornet) I don't think I'm benefiting from the VR optimisation at this point so there is room for improvement yet ...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I’ve noticed an improvement in the efficiency of DCS now and can move many settings higher than previous. I must say, however small the feature may seem, the shadow of your head now moving inside the cockpit is amazing! Follows the movement of your head in real life while bearing the headset and adds a very deep and additional layer of immersion. Cheers for that

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

My 1070 does very well with the Rift . My graphics priorities are shadows ( low cockpit , flat terrain) , civil traffic (low) , water (high) and msaax2 . Trees are at 62% . I'm getting a very fluid experience solo very low over the Caucasus with it and these settings . (I'm a mud-mover in the Hornet) I don't think I'm benefiting from the VR optimisation at this point so there is room for improvement yet ...

...Aand todays Oculus update set me back again . Zucked again !

...Aand todays Oculus update set me back again . Zucked again !
Oculus updated, so,

tried DCS, switched shadows back on after muliplayer missions Off,

smooth @ steady 45 fps

I was researching VR goggles update "S" / Reverb, now this bought me some time.

Somehow AAR is a lot smoother too?

YMMV

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

There's a theory that dcs wants as many texture mapping units as you can throw at it. Consider a Vegas 56 if you want to go cheap. Or a 1080.

Doesn't sound very glamorous but upgrading to a b450 Mobo with decent ram helped me a lot. I'll probably gen one of the new ryzen CPUs when they come out.

Only so much you can do with Oculus. Don't spend a fortune on your GPU, just get one that'll work in dcs

Hmmm this is very interesting, so I have seen some Vega 64's on ebay 2nd hand of course for similar prices to the RTX2060, so you would say the Vega is better buy of the two? I have even seen a liquid cooled one at £359, don't quite have the money yet though!

I am getting the black screen with sound still going with my CV1 now. I have to close DCS and then the screen comes back on in Oculus home. Anyone else experiencing this with their CV1?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

I am getting the black screen with sound still going with my CV1 now. I have to close DCS and then the screen comes back on in Oculus home. Anyone else experiencing this with their CV1?

I had it yesterday (once) after the Oculus update . There are many ways to launch DCS in VR , and another worked . Rebooting may have helped as well . I had to resolve sound problems too , so i can't be more specific about the solutions as there were several reboots , DCS launches and sound settings involved .

Still working my way thru problems caused by that update , which i neither needed or wanted , nor had the option to revert . Think my Oculus days are about over .

I had it yesterday (once) after the Oculus update . There are many ways to launch DCS in VR , and another worked . Rebooting may have helped as well . I had to resolve sound problems too , so i can't be more specific about the solutions as there were several reboots , DCS launches and sound settings involved .

Still working my way thru problems caused by that update , which i neither needed or wanted , nor had the option to revert . Think my Oculus days are about over .

I feel your pain. I just had another update required message.

Replug the plug underneath the mask? (Find YT to remove the mask)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

To follow up on the texture mapping unit thing, I surveyed my team yesterday. We are all either on Rift or Rift S.

1060 (80 TMU): player is dissatisfied but he is competitive, plans to upgrade soon

1070ti (152 TMU): player is satisfied and very competitive

Most of our players are on 1080's (160 TMU) and I find myself using basically the same settings, getting the same performance with my Vega 56 (224 TMU). We can run high terrain texture, cockpit res 1040, medium shadows (depending on the server), med vis range, and either MSAAx2 or PD 1.2.

For comparison, I would submit the two best cards for DCS are probably the 1080ti (224) and the 2080ti (272). There's a marginal improvement here, you should be able to run MSAA and PD 1.2-ish at the same time, which I personally feel looks great. Wish I could do it, not sure I want to spend the $$$$ tho.

People are eager to see how the Radeon VII with its 240 TMU's fares in DCS (we will see if the theory holds).

Benchmarks in other games don't quite equal DCS.

I think there are some bargains out there, personally I'd drop $300 on a Vega or a 1080 before I'd spend $800 on a 2080.

But also some false economies, the 1060 might be one. And remember the action is always at the margins. Which I take it is the main gripe about the 2080ti, in DCS at least you get a marginal improvement over the 1080ti, at a really high cost.

None of this applies to HMD's with higher pixel counts than the Oculus, I imagine that's a whole nuther ball game

Edited by DeltaMike

To follow up on the texture mapping unit thing, I surveyed my team yesterday. We are all either on Rift or Rift S.

1060 (80 TMU): player is dissatisfied but he is competitive, plans to upgrade soon

Most of our players are on 1080's (160 TMU) and I find myself using basically the same settings, getting the same performance with my Vega 56 (224 TMU). We can run high terrain texture, cockpit res 1040, medium shadows (depending on the server), med vis range, and either MSAAx2 or PD 1.2.

For comparison, I would submit the two best cards for DCS are probably the 1080ti (224) and the 2080ti (272). There's a marginal improvement here, you should be able to run MSAA and PD 1.2-ish at the same time, which I personally feel looks great. Wish I could do it, not sure I want to spend the $$$$ tho.

People are eager to see how the Radeon VII with its 240 TMU's fares in DCS (we will see if the theory holds).

I think there are some bargains out there, personally I'd drop $300 on a Vega or a 1080 before I'd spend $800 on a 2080.

But also some false economies, the 1060 might be one. And remember the action is always at the margins. Which I take it is the main gripe about the 2080ti, in DCS at least you get a marginal improvement over the 1080ti, at a really high cost.

None of this applies to HMD's with higher pixel counts than the Oculus, I imagine that's a whole nuther ball game

Interesting...thank you !

Totally agree. I upgraded my Zotac AMP Extreme 1080Ti for the RoG Strix 2080Ti and on Heaven benchmark the difference in minimum FPS (which is really all that matters) is 3 FPS. I did one comparison simply swapping out the Video cards in my new system which is in my sig. I did a separate comparison with my previous rig which is: i7 7700K @ 4.5GHz, 32GB 3200 memory, Zotac 1080Ti with stock core boost clock of 1.9GHz and Samsung 256GB Evo 960 M.2, against my new rig (again it's in my sig) and got the same results. The only performance increase was in max FPS which was around 100 FPS more for the 2080Ti. The max FPS doesn't mean anything because you're not hitting that frame count all the time but every once in a while. The minimum FPS tells exactly how far below 45 FPS you'll go which causes stuttering.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

1080 lots of tinkering, smooth 45 fps multiplayer with all shadows Off (still looks great)

Tested recently with shadows high in a massive MP, 16 FPS but still smooth.

Stuttering you can prevent by finding the right (illogical) setting.

Looking at everything I think money and performance wise. I’ll get a vega 56 and eventually drop an EK waterblock on it so can undervolt and clock better close to 64 or better performance

AMD has taken the fun out of it, undervolting is a one-click operation in crimson. unclear that overclocking does much, i'd try it first before investing in the water cooling. The reason why the vega56 is the el cheapo king is because it's... well, cheap...

AMD has taken the fun out of it, undervolting is a one-click operation in crimson. unclear that overclocking does much, i'd try it first before investing in the water cooling. The reason why the vega56 is the el cheapo king is because it's... well, cheap...

Cheers Mike, been a big help. Looking to get one this weekend. Seen a few different ones. Most people seem to recommend the pulse one as best all rounder. Although I have seen both a Strix and red dragon variant about £20 cheaper, although I am very local to overclockers. Or do I spend a little more and get the power color vega 64 at £320 albeit a blower design - as mentioned I already have a water cooled cpu loop, so won’t take much to get an EK block for the 64 and add it to the loop.

Edited by Kirkey_badgers

Cheers Mike, been a big help. Looking to get one this weekend. Seen a few different ones. Most people seem to recommend the pulse one as best all rounder. Although I have seen both a Strix and red dragon variant about £20 cheaper, although I am very local to overclockers. Or do I spend a little more and get the power color vega 64 at £320 albeit a blower design - as mentioned I already have a water cooled cpu loop, so won’t take much to get an EK block for the 64 and add it to the loop.

All my prior experience with GPU's was in mining. We looked at the Vega64 as a dog, very prone to throttling, much easier to keep a 56 cool. We would undervolt and actually underclock the core, we were pushing the memclock. You got 90% of the performance with the 56, with better reliability and less money up front. With water cooling, and knowing the memclock doesn't do squat for DCS, for the same money I might lean toward the 64 to get a couple more TMU's.

I tended to hate cheap GPU's but powercolor did OK with mining, my MSI seems to be doing OK with DCS to my astonishment. Maybe they are all reference cards, I dunno. Like I said, I'm not sure I'd sink a lot of money into it, and I think you're right on it, gotta keep that little pig cool, that's the key to the whole thing.

All my prior experience with GPU's was in mining. We looked at the Vega64 as a dog, very prone to throttling, much easier to keep a 56 cool. We would undervolt and actually underclock the core, we were pushing the memclock. You got 90% of the performance with the 56, with better reliability and less money up front. With water cooling, and knowing the memclock doesn't do squat for DCS, for the same money I might lean toward the 64 to get a couple more TMU's.

I tended to hate cheap GPU's but powercolor did OK with mining, my MSI seems to be doing OK with DCS to my astonishment. Maybe they are all reference cards, I dunno. Like I said, I'm not sure I'd sink a lot of money into it, and I think you're right on it, gotta keep that little pig cool, that's the key to the whole thing.

To make the choice even more interesting, OCUK have a deal on this week so the 56's are now around the 270 mark or an ASrock one at £250. That one 64 is now £300 on the dot. Not sure which one go for, as you said performance is that close between the two.