Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

I'm looking at this one for the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Express-Including-SuperSpeed-Connector/dp/B073NZZ6TG?s=computers

Still have to find out what type of controller it has.

Looks like it uses an ASMedia controller. :(

I too am looking to see if a different USB3 port will help with performance. I have an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo with the ASMedia controlled USB3.1.

I have I7-7700k and an RTX2070 which I recently upgraded from a GTX 1070.

I'm a bit disappointed with the performance so far. The benchmark I use for testing different settings is the first training mission for the F16. Whilst sitting in the jet I look right and watch the 2 jets flying across the airfield from right to left. There is noticeable stutter as they fly past.

I am using a Rift S and have tried different USB ports but none seem to make any difference. :(

WB.

I'm looking at this one for the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Express-Including-SuperSpeed-Connector/dp/B073NZZ6TG?s=computers

Still have to find out what type of controller it has.

Not a good idea... Asmedia controller. Not surprising it is USB 3.1gen2 ports...

As a hint, cards with USB type-C will have most of the time ASMEDIA controller.

Try this one, you are in Belgium so it is probably possible to obtain it:

https://www.exsys.ch/de/pcie-karten/usb-3.0/standard/pcie-usb-3.0-karte-2-ports-renesas1.html

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Looks like it uses an ASMedia controller. :(

The benchmark I use for testing different settings is the first training mission for the F16. Whilst sitting in the jet I look right and watch the 2 jets flying across the airfield from right to left. There is noticeable stutter as they fly past.

I am using a Rift S and have tried different USB ports but none seem to make any difference. :(

WB.

The F-16 has performance issue in VR. Don't use this plane to tune your settings. And being on ground is not a good idea because there are a lot of lack of optimisation. Try to totally disable all the shadows because on ground shadows kills the FPS... It is really annoying and I post yesterday in the wish list forum the suggestion to add a shadow (cockpit only) setting to improve the situation.

I suspect you are experiencing it :)

Looks like it uses an ASMedia controller. sad.gif

Not a good idea... Asmedia controller. Not surprising it is USB 3.1gen2 ports...

As a hint, cards with USB type-C will have most of the time ASMEDIA controller.

Now where you guys found out it's an asmedia controller? I even went to the Inateck website to look through the specs but no joy there.

Try this one, you are in Belgium so it is probably possible to obtain it:

https://www.exsys.ch/de/pcie-karten/usb-3.0/standard/pcie-usb-3.0-karte-2-ports-renesas1.html

Yeah but then i need again look for an old school type of powerplug (or adaptor cable) which i don't have lying around anymore and those that i have don't fit my Corsair power supply. I need something with a 15pin connector (like those on an SSD drive).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Now where you guys found out it's an asmedia controller? I even went to the Inateck website to look through the specs but no joy there.

If you look at the product specifications:

Product Specifications:

PCI Express specification: PCI Express x 4

Expanded Ports: 1*USB-A, 1*USB-C

Chip: ASM1142, ASM1543

Power supply: 15-pin SATA power connector

Dimensions: 121*82*18 mm

Weight: 44g

Material: PCBA main board + aluminum back plate

The chip shows as ASM.... which I believe is ASMedia.

WB.

The F-16 has performance issue in VR. Don't use this plane to tune your settings. And being on ground is not a good idea because there are a lot of lack of optimisation. Try to totally disable all the shadows because on ground shadows kills the FPS... It is really annoying and I post yesterday in the wish list forum the suggestion to add a shadow (cockpit only) setting to improve the situation.

I suspect you are experiencing it :)

Thanks for the info. Will try different aircraft as you say. Though my days of continually tweaking for performance are long behind me. I remember the Blackdeath track from IL2! :smilewink:

WB.

I have I7-7700k and an RTX2070 which I recently upgraded from a GTX 1070. I'm a bit disappointed with the performance so far.
Same here, i would have expected it not to be that low compared to 2D (on my system then).
Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@lange: for the connector you need a Sata to Molex converter. I know it would be better to have one with the good controller and already the SATA connector as you wish but you have now at least one solution

• 4 weeks later...

Not really but then i keep mine capped at 40, i don't like my FPS jumping around and up and down. Is never good for smoothness.

^I'd keep everything the same except anti-aliasing. You're CPU limited, somewhat, should be fine in single player but you can easily bonk up against the limit by pushing vis range and shadows; regardless of GPU you should be at vis range med, trees 60%, shadows off, terrain shadows flat. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest MSAA doesn't really add much in DCS, you accomplish much the same, with more granularity by seeing how high you can push PD. And save up for a Rift S or something.

I will say, Rift is nice at night, I'd be tempted to plug it back in for case III's but otherwise, if you actually want to see and all, there's only so much you can do with a Rift

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rift CV1, NVG and A-10C

I am looking for some help and connot find any so far.

here is my problem:

I have a Oculus Rift CV1.

On the a-10C if I turn on the NVG, everyting is "green" in the VR vision but it is correct on the monitor. Any clue? I just did an complete new install because i taught that someting was corrupted.

Thanks for your help

I am looking for some help and connot find any so far.

here is my problem:

I have a Oculus Rift CV1.

On the a-10C if I turn on the NVG, everyting is "green" in the VR vision but it is correct on the monitor. Any clue? I just did an complete new install because i taught that someting was corrupted.

Thanks for your help

Real NVG is green.

Hey all, thought I would try here for some advice. I am running 20 FPS on empty MP maps, 40 FPS in missions with my rift s and want to maximize my experience. Running 2070 super, i7 4770 OC to 4.5 ghz, 16 gb ram. My frames don't change at all when I max or min my settings. Any thoughts? PD set at 1.0 and everything in settings set to low off.

Hey all, thought I would try here for some advice. I am running 20 FPS on empty MP maps, 40 FPS in missions with my rift s and want to maximize my experience. Running 2070 super, i7 4770 OC to 4.5 ghz, 16 gb ram. My frames don't change at all when I max or min my settings. Any thoughts? PD set at 1.0 and everything in settings set to low off.

Clean install the latest graphics drivers and see what that does.

Clean install the latest graphics drivers and see what that does.

I would add:

Download latest drivers.

Uninstall current driver with Display Driver Uninstaller with PC disconnected from internet.

Reboot.

Install latest drivers choosing only driver, PhysX, and RTX stuff.

Do not install GeForce Experience.

Once installed reboot again.

Connect back to internet.

In Nvidia Control Panel, set DCS to " Prefer Maximum Performance".

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just found DCS a couple of weeks ago and have to say I am absolutely loving it. Picked up the F/A-18C module since it seemed the best for a beginner and I'm finding well worth the money. I'm running into a bit of an issue trying to record video using Oculus Mirror. Everything is smooth as butter in the headset during recording, but then when I watch it back, it stutters like crazy, I'm guessing because Mirror is rendering on the fly along with the Rift itself? I'm using right eye only, time warp off, and force 1920x1080 in the Mirror properties.

I tried turning ground clutter down to zero and trees to 50% and that helped. Reading up a bit on this thread, should I tweak my shadows and MSAA as well? I notice a difference between low altitude BFM and high altitude, so that seems to bear out the ground rendering causing stutter theory. Check it out below.

High altitude, fairly smooth

Low altitude, super choppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfweQUaNK4

Thanks!

EDIT

System specs

Mobo: Maximus XI Formula

CPU: i9 9900K OC to 5.0 GHz

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti OC to 2.1 GHz

RAM: 2x16 GB G.Skill Trident Royal running default XMP Profile for 3600 MHz

Running DCS and OBS/Oculus Mirror on SSD

Edited by Phoenix0787
Added system specs

• 1 month later...

I know the day will come when we won't need to use that lousy Oculus Rift client app anymore. Every time I put it on, or launch a VR game, Steam or what-not, the Oculus app launches itself up, uninvited.

Is it already possible to use Oculus Rift CV1 system with a different, lighter, perhaps open-source application? I would love to uninstall that piece of rubbish software as soon as possible.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Me too , if only to rid myself of forced updates . That will be a factor in my next headset selection .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 weeks later...

I have an issue with my rift cv1 occasional black screen. After like 10 minutes of playing the rift without issues the screen will turn off for about a second and it comes back on. When I play and do movement i get black screen and it back on if i change my rotation sometimes stays black. Has anyone run into the same problem?

I have an issue with my rift cv1 occasional black screen. After like 10 minutes of playing the rift without issues the screen will turn off for about a second and it comes back on. When I play and do movement i get black screen and it back on if i change my rotation sometimes stays black. Has anyone run into the same problem?

Check you’re cpu, and cpu activity. Might be over loaded.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Check you’re cpu, and cpu activity. Might be over loaded.

I just notice that my cable has twisted internally from regular use. My cable has a break but I tie-wrapped it with a loop in it at the break and it's keeping the signal on. I think i will upgrade to the Oculus Rift S cause Oculus no longer replacing CV1 cables. :(