Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

13 minutes ago, Enduro14 said:

quest 2 working perfectly fine in dcs via link right now...  oh and if the Facebook platform forever disappeared miraculously due to this I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

That is fine however there undoubtedly are many Quest users that it probably does affect for their Oculus games.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 10/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, Cowboy10uk said:

Same here.      Not used VR for a bit, as was struggling to stop stutters while over towns.   So gave up and decided to go 2D and physical controls. 

however after reading how much V33 improves things figured I would give it a go yesterday.   Wow smooth, clear and no stutters.  Very very impressed.      

so now I need to make a choice, 2D or VR and cancel the MFD order I still have outstanding. 

BUT whatever I decide, blooming impressed at the improvements that have been made here

In my opinion get those MFDS,  I use mine in VR........I modified mine with little rubber buttons (from an old remote control) glued to the middle OSB on each of the four sides. It becomes very easy to reach out towards the MFD in VR and run your finger across the buttons until it stops at the little bump, you then just move one or two buttons left or right, up or down to press the correct OSB. Works great in the A10c or the AV 8b. 

Hi,

For those using DCS world standalone, with virtual Desktop... do you use it with the steam API? Or the oculus API? And so, the reasons to choose one or the other?

And btw for the Oculus API we have to feed virtual desktop with the DCS exe isn't it? There is no other way I think.

Also is there a website somewhere to optimize the DCS configuration for VR and recent graphic cards such as the RTX 3080?

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

13 minutes ago, harf4ng said:

Hi,

For those using DCS world standalone, with virtual Desktop... do you use it with the steam API? Or the oculus API? And so, the reasons to choose one or the other?

And btw for the Oculus API we have to feed virtual desktop with the DCS exe isn't it? There is no other way I think.

Also is there a website somewhere to optimize the DCS configuration for VR and recent graphic cards such as the RTX 3080?

Thanks

have you tried airlink?

32 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

have you tried airlink?

Yes. I used it months ago then it stopped working. Now when I launch airlink I have like 1 fps even on the link desktop. Like a slideshow. It is so slow it is even hard to close it 🙂 So I dropped it and went back on virtual desktop which always works fine.

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

3 minutes ago, harf4ng said:

Yes. I used it months ago then it stopped working. Now when I launch airlink I have like 1 fps even on the link desktop. Like a slideshow. It is so slow it is even hard to close it 🙂 So I dropped it and went back on virtual desktop which always works fine.

Ah ok, I've not tried VD so not much help. Just if it helps airlink seems to do that if you have a bitrate set at anything other than 0 (default). Might not be your issue though.

• 1 month later...

What are the best refresh settings for O2?

Also, can someone please tell me why stupid steam VR tries to launch when I start DCSW in VR mode?

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Because SteamVR thinks it's needed for everything VR wise which it is not.
Never found a solution to block SteamVR from poppin' up.
I was so annoyed by it that i uninstalled Steam totally. I didn't had any Steam provided game anyway but installed it because Steam has almost the monopoly on race games (besides Assetto Corsa which is a subscribtion payed game and Live For Speed) and i wanted to try some VR racing. I ended up with Live For Speed.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

5 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

What are the best refresh settings for O2?

Also, can someone please tell me why stupid steam VR tries to launch when I start DCSW in VR mode?

I've found if you launch oculus first and the headset is switched on then steam VR doesn't open for me.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, 5ephir0th said:

Is called Passthrough on Quest, there’s an option to double tap on the HMD side to enable, double tap again to disable

This no worky for me, and it is enabled in settings.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Yes

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Does the oculus tray tool override settings in the oculus software, specifically the refresh rate?

Oculus tray tool works the oculus debug tool for you. So yes it controls main oculus settings and saves them which the ODT doesn't.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, Steel Jaw said:

Does the oculus tray tool override settings in the oculus software, specifically the refresh rate?

No. Use the Oculus PC app for that.

OTT can control SS, FOV multiplier, ASW, adaptive GPU scaling, encoder resolution, sharpness, link bitrate.

If your CPU/GPU combo has the power, there are big improvements in image quality to be had by adjusting the refresh rate setting & encoder resolution:

Adjust Oculus PC app rendering resolution all the way to the right (i.e. native resolution. Don't worry about the 1.x number the app shows - this is just an Oculus thing  - its not super sampling)

If using 72Hz refresh rate, the max encoder resolution (directly proportional to displayed pixels) is 3648.
If using 80Hz refresh rate or higher, the max encoder resolution (directly proportional to displayed pixels) is 4064.
To get the higher encoder resolution use the OTT Quest Link tab and type in 4064 (it doesn't appear as one of the drop down choices).

WARNING: 4064 encoder resolution WILL NOT work with 72Hz refresh rate. Switch to the higher refresh rate first before increasing the encoder resolution.
If you wish to go back to 72Hz, ensure the encoder resolution is 3648 or lower before you switch the refresh rate to 72Hz. If you don't do this, it will appear as though your Oculus app is bricked if you revert to 72Hz before you reduce the encoder resolution.
Very frustrating if you didn't know all you had to do was reduce the encoder resolution...(I've been there).

Adjust SS, ASW, bitrate, sharpness etc as required.

image.png image.png image.png

My R5 5600X, 6800XT, 32GB DDR4 system runs my Quest 2 very fluidly in single player, YMMV in multiplayer...

Edited by ppokit
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ppokit said:

No. Use the Oculus PC app for that.

OTT can control SS, FOV multiplier, ASW, adaptive GPU scaling, encoder resolution, sharpness, link bitrate.

If your CPU/GPU combo has the power, there are big improvements in image quality to be had by adjusting the refresh rate setting & encoder resolution:

Adjust Oculus PC app rendering resolution all the way to the right (i.e. native resolution. Don't worry about the 1.x number the app shows - this is just an Oculus thing  - its not super sampling)

If using 72Hz refresh rate, the max encoder resolution (directly proportional to displayed pixels) is 3648.
If using 80Hz refresh rate or higher, the max encoder resolution (directly proportional to displayed pixels) is 4064.
To get the higher encoder resolution use the OTT Quest Link tab and type in 4064 (it doesn't appear as one of the drop down choices).

WARNING: 4064 encoder resolution WILL NOT work with 72Kz refresh rate. Switch to the higher refresh rate first before increasing the encoder resolution.
If you wish to go back to 72Hz, ensure the encoder resolution is 3648 or lower before you switch the refresh rate to 72Hz. If you don't do this, it will appear as though your Oculus app is bricked if you revert to 72Hz before you reduce the encoder resolution.
Very frustrating if you didn't know all you had to do was reduce the encoder resolution...(I've been there).

Adjust SS, ASW, bitrate, sharpness etc as required.

image.png image.png image.png

My R5 5600X, 6800XT, 32GB DDR4 system runs my Quest 2 very fluidly in single player, YMMV in multiplayer...

Thanks for sharing this. When I first started with the Q2 about a year ago I used to use high encoder values with high bitrates however I have read that for the last few months it has been advisible to leave both these on default (0 in ODT) and let oculus scale it for you which it will do down to hardware. I have high end hardware and have had great results with these at default. I wondered if you have had different experience. I also read that for a very long time oculus would set the width for you based on bitrate value.

Other than this I run nearly the same settings as you, although my preference is not to super sample and only limit FOV to 0.9 in both directions. Just preference really. 

I will restest my setup with these resolutions and bitrates (I didn't know width would go that high!) And see if I get anything different now I have been running on default for months. 

I'm now the proud owner of an Oculus Quest 2. There's a ton of resources - this thread included - but the tech seems to be moving so fast that a lot of what was posted is pretty out of date. I don't know if linking YouTube videos is allowed, so I'll just say that I'm using the six month old settings from Tactical Pascale as my baseline. Even that video is out of date it seems, since OTT has options - like sharpening - that weren't present there. This leaves me just fiddling switches basically as one site says one thing and a second site another; DCS is the sole reason I bought the headset - so I figured I'd come to the source.

I don't expect anyone to do the setup for me, but if there are current DCS tips and settings that could be recommended to a complete VR newbie, I'd sure appreciate it. I know that "curbing your expectations" is a quote that comes up a lot, but right now it seems like having to pick the lesser of two evils. I can either get the game looking good, in which case I start to feel sick from the framerate or get the frame rate good, in which case I start to feel sick from how blurry the MFDs are. Thankfully I know the A10C well enough to fly from memory, but new modules like the F/A-18 or F-16C make me feel like Mr. Magoo.

I have an RTX 3080, 32 GB of RAM, Ryzen 5 3600, DCS is on an M2 SSD, and am running on the Oculus Link cable. 2D I just set everything to Ultra and call it good. I don't expect that from a headset, but it's hard "getting my VR legs" when I can't tell if I'm getting motion sick from the game, the frames, or the blurry displays. 

I'll try the one posted by ppokit on Saturday when I get home today. 

9 minutes ago, Dermax1 said:

I'm now the proud owner of an Oculus Quest 2. There's a ton of resources - this thread included - but the tech seems to be moving so fast that a lot of what was posted is pretty out of date. I don't know if linking YouTube videos is allowed, so I'll just say that I'm using the six month old settings from Tactical Pascale as my baseline. Even that video is out of date it seems, since OTT has options - like sharpening - that weren't present there. This leaves me just fiddling switches basically as one site says one thing and a second site another; DCS is the sole reason I bought the headset - so I figured I'd come to the source.

I don't expect anyone to do the setup for me, but if there are current DCS tips and settings that could be recommended to a complete VR newbie, I'd sure appreciate it. I know that "curbing your expectations" is a quote that comes up a lot, but right now it seems like having to pick the lesser of two evils. I can either get the game looking good, in which case I start to feel sick from the framerate or get the frame rate good, in which case I start to feel sick from how blurry the MFDs are. Thankfully I know the A10C well enough to fly from memory, but new modules like the F/A-18 or F-16C make me feel like Mr. Magoo.

I have an RTX 3080, 32 GB of RAM, Ryzen 5 3600, DCS is on an M2 SSD, and am running on the Oculus Link cable. 2D I just set everything to Ultra and call it good. I don't expect that from a headset, but it's hard "getting my VR legs" when I can't tell if I'm getting motion sick from the game, the frames, or the blurry displays. 

I'll try the one posted by ppokit on Saturday when I get home today. 

Mine isn't Oculus, but some settings that have a big impact on stuttering on my PC which is very similar to yours are shadows, AA, SSAO, and the resolution of cockpit displays. Try turning those down or off to see if they impact your experience.

• Thanks 1

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Yes on my system the bigger eater of frames (esp. in multiplayer) is MSAA.

Looks great with it on, but can turn into a messy slideshow. 

Currently training myself to not use MSAA and instead to use OTT supersampling to compensate. Looks ok in the air, but on the ramp waiting for fuel or taxying it looks awful. 

Jaggies & shimmers...yuck

Edited by ppokit

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kybinec said:

Hello everyone. Please tell me how you can roll back from version 35 to version 33 OculusClient

Oculus don't permit roll backs unfortunately. I remember trying once before. If you have opted into the beta you can opt out and it will revert but that's it. Whats wrong with v35? I assume you mean desktop app.

14 minutes ago, kybinec said:

Thanks for the answer. There are no particular problems with version 35. I wanted to compare the work of DCS in different versions of OculusClient

Oh ok thanks. Always nice to have a heads up if there are problems as I got caught out and couldn't revert once before. To be fair they are usually quite good and I don't think I've ever notice any negative performance changes on DCS. 

Oculus updates are mandatory and if they break something, you need to wait until it gets solved because there is no rollback to a previous version.
However, you can block the update: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Please-Stop-Forced-Updates/td-p/619257/page/2

(it's halfway through the second page, post by "parsecn".

After doing this, when Oculus comes with an update, you'll get a notification that an update started downloading but it will never get passed that.
This gives you time to go through the (messy) forums and see if they are big or common problems. If so, you can block the update until it gets fixed.
To unblock the updates, reverse the above process.