Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Hey folks, does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Had problems with Vaicom and decided to reset and clean up DCS.

At that point I got this. All drivers were already up to date, VR works fine as usual through Oculus software. The only thing I have not tried is a fresh install, which atm is very tempting!

Oh tried repairing oculus software too.

I'd try with clean profile first meaning rename your /saved games/dcs/ folder and try.

Have you set anything other out of default like in nvcpl or oculus tool?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

12 minutes ago, draconus said:

I'd try with clean profile first meaning rename your /saved games/dcs/ folder and try.

Good thinking that... Will give it a go. There is no oculus tool so to speak, not sure what nvcpl is?

22 minutes ago, draconus said:

Yep, seems to have sorted that thank you. I made the mistake in thinking things couldn't go wrong graphics-wise here... How wrong I was!

8 minutes ago, ollk22 said:

Good thinking that... Will give it a go. There is no oculus tool so to speak, not sure what nvcpl is?

Sorry for the geek talk. Nvidia control panel I meant. And some use Oculus tray tool or debug tool.

Great to see you fixed it 🙂

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 5 weeks later...

I have some questions:

A friend of mine recently got an Occulus Quest 2 to play DCS. I myself use a Valve Index. A few days ago I found the enhancement tools by fholger (upsampling + reshade) here in the forum and it made such a huge difference (performance + visual) for me that we tried it on my friends system yesterday. However, to work properly, steamvr is requiered. But dcs turns into a jittering nightmare when he is using steamvr (even without the mentioned mods). Interestingly, the frame rate is solid. From what we found out in the internet this has nothing to do with DCS and we will try some suggested fixes later. I also know that fholger has at least an upsampling tool that also works for occulus. But that helps mostly with performance.

So my questions are:

1. Did some of you experienced the same jitter problems when running DCS via SteamVR? If yes, how did you get it fixed other than not using SteamVR?

2. Are there any other DCS enhancement tools that are popular in the Occulus community so that he might get similar visual quality enhancements?

12 минут назад, Wychmaster сказал:

I have some questions:

A friend of mine recently got an Occulus Quest 2 to play DCS. I myself use a Valve Index. A few days ago I found the enhancement tools by fholger (upsampling + reshade) here in the forum and it made such a huge difference (performance + visual) for me that we tried it on my friends system yesterday. However, to work properly, steamvr is requiered. But dcs turns into a jittering nightmare when he is using steamvr (even without the mentioned mods). Interestingly, the frame rate is solid. From what we found out in the internet this has nothing to do with DCS and we will try some suggested fixes later. I also know that fholger has at least an upsampling tool that also works for occulus. But that helps mostly with performance.

So my questions are:

1. Did some of you experienced the same jitter problems when running DCS via SteamVR? If yes, how did you get it fixed other than not using SteamVR?

2. Are there any other DCS enhancement tools that are popular in the Occulus community so that he might get similar visual quality enhancements?

Use fhogler's Vrperfkit for Oculus, it doesn't need SteamVR. If you need color correction then use 3dmigoto, on top of that it has separate sharpening options for the world/MFDs/cockpit as well as some other useful fixes. Honestly sharpening there is not bad, you may not need vrperfkit after all.

But the best trick is to run 2.5.6 with original Kegetys' VRshaders and Mustang's flat shadow fix. It will literally give you twice better performance than the best tweak combo available for 2.7.10. I fly 2.5.6 most of the time, only if I need a Viper I go for 2.7.10, clouds and effects improvement can't justify such a severe performance hit for me.

• Thanks 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Fiztex:

Use fhogler's Vrperfkit for Oculus, it doesn't need SteamVR. If you need color correction then use 3dmigoto, on top of that it has separate sharpening options for the world/MFDs/cockpit as well as some other useful fixes. Honestly sharpening there is not bad, you may not need vrperfkit after all.

But the best trick is to run 2.5.6 with original Kegetys' VRshaders and Mustang's flat shadow fix. It will literally give you twice better performance than the best tweak combo available for 2.7.10. I fly 2.5.6 most of the time, only if I need a Viper I go for 2.7.10, clouds and effects improvement can't justify such a severe performance hit for me.

Vperfkit was the other tool I meant. We will try that. Going back to previous DCS versions isn't an option but I will have a look into 3dmigoto.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased a Oculus Quest 2 for DCS, and now it is messed up. My Oculus Quest 2 graphics now stretch (black bars), flicker up/down/left to right. Damaged right after DCS connecting. Looked like I had it, then it crashed to desktop. Many times I have reset the Oculus Quest 2 to default, turned off, and on. And no prevail. Does the same. Before the damage, I have looked at videos how to set up DCS, Oculus. Downloaded oculus software, and oculus tray tool, and followed some advice from Youtube videos. No two is the same. Everyone has different ways of setting up Oculus to the PC for DCS. Come in here, and not a perfect setup either. One states do this, and other stats do that. Confusing, that EVGA 1080ti ftw3 is, VR ready (most video cards), but you have to plug in USB-C able to motherboard. Download oculus software, but no drivers. So in all, I found out their is no perfect setup from youtube videos, and forums. Like from opening box, to what cables, what software you need and how. Some say Airlink does the job and really did not. Reason most get Oculus is due to price. Spending over $500+ is a bit extreme. Bad enough the costs for a video card and then a VR headset. I (and prob others) do not have $500, but I did have $320 on a VR headset, and now burnt it trying to connecting DSC (PC), using Oculus Tray tool software to the VR headset. Dunno what to say, or look for anymore. Just lost $$ for a sim.

29 minutes ago, GuardDog said:

Purchased a Oculus Quest 2 for DCS, and now it is messed up. My Oculus Quest 2 graphics now stretch (black bars), flicker up/down/left to right. Damaged right after DCS connecting. Looked like I had it, then it crashed to desktop. Many times I have reset the Oculus Quest 2 to default, turned off, and on. And no prevail. Does the same. Before the damage, I have looked at videos how to set up DCS, Oculus. Downloaded oculus software, and oculus tray tool, and followed some advice from Youtube videos. No two is the same. Everyone has different ways of setting up Oculus to the PC for DCS. Come in here, and not a perfect setup either. One states do this, and other stats do that. Confusing, that EVGA 1080ti ftw3 is, VR ready (most video cards), but you have to plug in USB-C able to motherboard. Download oculus software, but no drivers. So in all, I found out their is no perfect setup from youtube videos, and forums. Like from opening box, to what cables, what software you need and how. Some say Airlink does the job and really did not. Reason most get Oculus is due to price. Spending over $500+ is a bit extreme. Bad enough the costs for a video card and then a VR headset. I (and prob others) do not have $500, but I did have $320 on a VR headset, and now burnt it trying to connecting DSC (PC), using Oculus Tray tool software to the VR headset. Dunno what to say, or look for anymore. Just lost $$ for a sim.

I think all you can do is follow a logic fault finding process. Try to isolate as many different parts as you can and check they all work seperately before trying things together. To establish a working baseline, reset all settings to default everywhere. That will be fine to check it actually runs then you can go through vids and guides to adjust settings. Basics first, tune later. As there are so many hardware combinations it's unlikely you will find some to copy exactly. Airlink success for example is dependent on your router specs and how/where you have your home network set up. I'm sure you will get everything working! 

• Like 1

Was able to fix Oculus Airlink, specially after sending a report to Oculus (or "Meta" that is now the name of the company. Expect logo change in a update) due to the issue. Uninstalled Oculus Tray tool (please do not use), and used "Oculus debug tool" that is in the oculus software folder. Was able to reset all to its defaults and fixed. All I can do now is just wait for a better 3.0 (or 3.2) type-C cable. The one that comes with Oculus is a 2.0 (something like that), type-C and only 3 feet long. Made for charging the VR headset and not PC connection. When I get this fixed, done I will do step by step from scratch video. Oculus doesn't have windows drivers. Just shows on taskbar "MTP", click to eject. Helps on problems. But Oculus is a device on it's own, and truly amazing. New to this world. But to PC sim, not so easy.  

25 minutes ago, GuardDog said:

Was able to fix Oculus Airlink, specially after sending a report to Oculus (or "Meta" that is now the name of the company. Expect logo change in a update) due to the issue. Uninstalled Oculus Tray tool (please do not use), and used "Oculus debug tool" that is in the oculus software folder. Was able to reset all to its defaults and fixed. All I can do now is just wait for a better 3.0 (or 3.2) type-C cable. The one that comes with Oculus is a 2.0 (something like that), type-C and only 3 feet long. Made for charging the VR headset and not PC connection. When I get this fixed, done I will do step by step from scratch video. Oculus doesn't have windows drivers. Just shows on taskbar "MTP", click to eject. Helps on problems. But Oculus is a device on it's own, and truly amazing. New to this world. But to PC sim, not so easy.  

Sounds like the troubleshooting is working. Don't think you need to worry about the drivers. Oculus/meta have that all locked down via the software, as with most devices these days. I find it pretty to robust. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TZeer said:

Heads up. ASW is crap on AMD cards.

For some reason I get more artifacts with my new AMD card than my old nvidia card. For me, ASW is useless on AMD.

Guess AMD is not VR ready. Although Nvidia has VR Ready in the Specs. I find it confusing, when you do not plug the VR to the video card. Uses a Type-C cable, and plug into Motherboard. Has to be 3.0 etc. Do not know how that works from Type-C to motherboard and the video card states VR ready. Not VR friendly though. 

*Note*

Told to watch out, be careful when buying a Link Cable. Lots of knock offs. Copy cats using Oculus logo. The best is Kiwi. Although they can be expensive, but it pays off. 

Edited by GuardDog

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my 3.2 USB cable. Just a cheap $40 for now. Hooked it up, and I did have to play around. Only have to turn on "Unknown Source" in generals tab. You have to load it from your desktop and not from the oculus. And it will take it from there. Did a little flight, and WOW! I never encountered a simulator so kewl. It feels like I am actually in the aircraft. Will have to play with graphic setting in DCS later, also adjust the Hotas. Oh man, I can not express enough of the immersion. Good Job DCS!

• Like 2

I never get tired of reading these 🙂

4 minutes ago, GuardDog said:

Finally got my 3.2 USB cable. Just a cheap $40 for now. Hooked it up, and I did have to play around. Only have to turn on "Unknown Source" in generals tab. You have to load it from your desktop and not from the oculus. And it will take it from there. Did a little flight, and WOW! I never encountered a simulator so kewl. It feels like I am actually in the aircraft. Will have to play with graphic setting in DCS later, also adjust the Hotas. Oh man, I can not express enough of the immersion. Good Job DCS!

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

44 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

I never get tired of reading these 🙂

Yeah me either, pure awesomeness! 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 2/13/2022 at 4:39 AM, GuardDog said:

Uninstalled Oculus Tray tool (please do not use)

Why not, whats wrong with it?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

16 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

Why not, whats wrong with it?

For a lot of reasons.

1.) I was new to the Oculus. Watched videos, how to set up.

2.) Wrecked my Oculus. Images ended up stretched, pixels making lines. Flickering, black bars. Was able to fix with "Oculus Debug Tool", that "Tray Tool" doesn't have the features. Was scared. Because I just purchased this.

3.) Oculus has its own called "Oculus debug tool" in the Oculus folder, in which they constant update, and with new/Added/fixed features.

4.) Oculus Tray tool. They do not update (who ever makes it). They may update, but not much. 

5.) As you more experienced using the Oculus, understanding it, and with PC. You may consider Oculus Tray Tool. (I wouldn't. But that is my opinion).

6.) I do have a 1080ti, and their is one pull down menu "1080ti/2070". I did use that. And it helped mess up my Oculus, with other changes. Thank goodness for "Oculus debug tool." I was able to put all back, to default. 

7.) Just plug a USB 3.2 type-C into motherboard. Only changes you need is in DCS options as a newbee.

**************************************************************************************************

The Way I run DSC using Oculus.

8.) First time using the Oculus to PC in running DCS. You have to load it up, go to options. Select VR (enable), enable this that (Not in DCS atm). Exit DCS.

9.) On PC, load up "Oculus" Software. Turn on "Unknown Sources"

10.) Turn on you Oculus (hooked up to PC using 3.2 type-Cable).

12.) When all done. Load up DCS from the PC. Not Oculus. 

13.) Have fun! See the beauty. May adjust settings to your liking. 🙂

Edited by GuardDog
  • Like 1

I do not use OTT either. I tried on 2 different laptops, the frame rate ends up worse than not using OTT, well not as extreme as above. End of story.

Edited by VFGiPJP
  • Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, GuardDog said:

For a lot of reasons.

1.) I was new to the Oculus. Watched videos, how to set up.

2.) Wrecked my Oculus. Images ended up stretched, pixels making lines. Flickering, black bars. Was able to fix with "Oculus Debug Tool", that "Tray Tool" doesn't have the features. Was scared. Because I just purchased this.

3.) Oculus has its own called "Oculus debug tool" in the Oculus folder, in which they constant update, and with new/Added/fixed features.

4.) Oculus Tray tool. They do not update (who ever makes it). They may update, but not much. 

5.) As you more experienced using the Oculus, understanding it, and with PC. You may consider Oculus Tray Tool. (I wouldn't. But that is my opinion).

6.) I do have a 1080ti, and their is one pull down menu "1080ti/2070". I did use that. And it helped mess up my Oculus, with other changes. Thank goodness for "Oculus debug tool." I was able to put all back, to default. 

7.) Just plug a USB 3.2 type-C into motherboard. Only changes you need is in DCS options as a newbee.

**************************************************************************************************

The Way I run DSC using Oculus.

8.) First time using the Oculus to PC in running DCS. You have to load it up, go to options. Select VR (enable), enable this that (Not in DCS atm). Exit DCS.

9.) On PC, load up "Oculus" Software. Turn on "Unknown Sources"

10.) Turn on you Oculus (hooked up to PC using 3.2 type-Cable).

12.) When all done. Load up DCS from the PC. Not Oculus. 

13.) Have fun! See the beauty. May adjust settings to your liking. 🙂

OTT is just a third party interface for ODT, I don't use it either as it seems a disconnected and likely flawed way of doing the same thing. Only advantage was that settings were saved and they mostly do not in ODT, doesn't bother me though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I hope you can help me out a little bit. I have been using my Q2 now for over a year and have never managed to get ASW to look "good" with my AMD 6900XT. Forcing me to turn it off and run at 72 fps to get a smooth and nice ride. This is getting harder and harder since i started flying helicopters especially the hind and apache (jets are not the problem most of the time).

I have tried 72, 80 and 90Hz and using ASW but i get artifacts/jelly especially on the side and around buildings. I have been reading and some are saying it is AMD but i hope there is a solution out there? If not i only have two expensive options which is to buy a new graphics card or a new headset... 😕

Thanks and english is my second language so the grammar might be a bit off.

//Fox

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks. I have DCS and F/18 and Occulus Rift...when I start F18 i see the jet on the runway for a second them the game crashes (just stops). One time it worked and I was able to sit in the parked jet. But just once, what is going on, any ideas?

My car won't start . Any ideas ? That's pretty much what you're asking . No one can help you if you don't supply basic info like specs , settings and preferably , crash logs .

Edited by Svsmokey
  • Like 1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Had a quick question about the Rift S. Is it possible to reduce the amount of "jiggling" when looking around? I hardly notice it until I put on a HMD in an aircraft and it becomes very apparent. I'm curious if this is just a Rift S thing or its across all VR platforms.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)