Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

2 hours ago, SilentGun said:

Had a quick question about the Rift S. Is it possible to reduce the amount of "jiggling" when looking around? I hardly notice it until I put on a HMD in an aircraft and it becomes very apparent. I'm curious if this is just a Rift S thing or its across all VR platforms.

Yeah, I googled jiggling and certainly am not seeing thingies on my VR, but if you mean the constant tiny movements that's your head doing it (it's real nad normal, people just don't notice it IRL) and DCS does not smoothen it out. Get used to it - more bearable the higher the res, higher fps and more AA.

@szore upload your %userprofile%\saved games\dcs\logs\dcs.log file

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 4/4/2022 at 2:49 AM, draconus said:

Yeah, I googled jiggling and certainly am not seeing thingies on my VR, but if you mean the constant tiny movements that's your head doing it (it's real nad normal, people just don't notice it IRL) and DCS does not smoothen it out. Get used to it - more bearable the higher the res, higher fps and more AA.

@szore upload your %userprofile%\saved games\dcs\logs\dcs.log file

dcs.log

I uploaded the log file, I appreciate your help...as far as my system, I have intel i7 - 8700K 3.7GHz, MPG Z390 Mobo, 16Gb memory, and a RTX 2070 super video card, and Occulus Rift.

34 minutes ago, szore said:

I uploaded the log file, I appreciate your help...as far as my system, I have intel i7 - 8700K 3.7GHz, MPG Z390 Mobo, 16Gb memory, and a RTX 2070 super video card, and Occulus Rift.

Looks fine, but is it the log just after the crash? Are you overclocking your CPU or GPU? Do you have problems with any other game or system instability?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yes, it is after crash. Not overclocking anything...oh, boy. Maybe I need to do a clean instal of my operating system... I was having trouble with  virtual desktop yesterday, trying to play Alyx...couldnt get it running where 2 days ago i was playing it for a few hours....something is wonky in my system.....

On 4/3/2022 at 9:05 PM, SilentGun said:

Had a quick question about the Rift S. Is it possible to reduce the amount of "jiggling" when looking around? I hardly notice it until I put on a HMD in an aircraft and it becomes very apparent. I'm curious if this is just a Rift S thing or its across all VR platforms.

That is referred to as "Jitter". Do a search for that and see if it helps.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

No go with this, game only worked that 1 time in VR...it always runs to the screen of the parked F18 for a second then closes to Oculus menu...very frustrating...here is the log file again if someone could take another look at it I would appreciate it...

dcs.log

12 minutes ago, szore said:

No go with this, game only worked that 1 time in VR...it always runs to the screen of the parked F18 for a second then closes to Oculus menu...very frustrating...here is the log file again if someone could take another look at it I would appreciate it...

Log does not show anything unusual... beside exiting for no reason.

Ask for help here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

or here:

https://forum.dcs.world/forum/482-game-crash/

more info here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/startup/

try also this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gang,

Just wanted to see what the current best practice for oculus Rift is in DCS? Running a 3070TI with high end PC that has absolutely no issues with any other software. I'm finding variable results in DCS, sometimes with ah64 getting down to single digit frames. I started using OTT and following some guides but its all pretty frustrating.

I also see OpenXR talked about but have no idea if this even helps with the Rift?

Any tips would be appreciated.

cheers

I guess that if you don't use SteamVR, Oculus is already set as OpenXR runtime.
But i could be wrong and the message below means something else.

image.png

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Is this a topic for Quest 2 as well ? Then maybe the title should be changed?

What I wonder for DCS, I use ASW with it. Now, do you use 72Hz or 90Hz and why? I am in 72hz for now as maybe it will improve fps? Not sure though.

Also, do you use airlink or link? Will I get more fps with link instead of airlink?

btw do you know where I can find a guide for DCS settings in VR that will suit well a Q2 headset with an RTX 3080 and an i7 10700k cpu?

Thanks

Edited by harf4ng

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

27 minutes ago, harf4ng said:

Hi,

Is this a topic for Quest 2 as wall ? Then maybe the title should be changed?

What I wonder for DCS, I use ASW with it. Now, do you use 72Hz or 90Hz and why? I am in 72hz for now as maybe it will improve fps? Not sure though.

Also, do you use airlink or link? Will I get more fps with link instead of airlink?

btw do you know where I can find a guide for DCS settings in VR that will suit well a Q2 headset with an RTX 3080 and an i7 10700k cpu?

Thanks

Hi, I think many posts about the Q2 are relevant here now that the rift is quite old. 

I use Q2 with ASW at 80Hrz. Lower will be easier to for your computer to run. I personally find 72 uncomfortable on my eyes so I go with 80. 

To me airlink and link perform the same. Airlink success depends on your home network set-up. I use link for extended battery life (I have Internal battery only)

For settings you should find some in the thread. I very much doubt any two will be the same.

Keep your PC background tasks and applications to the bare minimum.

53 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I use Q2 with ASW at 80Hrz. Lower will be easier to for your computer to run. I personally find 72 uncomfortable on my eyes so I go with 80. 

I noticed also that when you increase refresh rate, the default 1.0 rendering resolution below lowers down...

Also the app recommands the 72hz with my computer specs but dunno why, with an i7 10700k, 64 Gb RAM and an RTX 3080, what do you need to have 90 hz as recommanded? 🙂

Edited by harf4ng

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

7 minutes ago, harf4ng said:

I noticed also that when you increase refresh rate, the default 1.0 rendering resolution below lowers down...

Also the app recommands the 72hz with my computer specs but dunno why, with an i7 10700k, 64 Gb RAM and an RTX 3080, what do you need to have 90 hz as recommanded? 🙂

I think it always recommends 72, I guess that will always been the best performance. It does on my system 3090+9900ks

I set that slider to max. I can run it but any more would be too much. Ignore the 1.X values they are meaningless and have nothing to do with the resolutions. Set this manually, working your way up. At 72hr I would expect you could max it, and tweak performance in the game settings.

14 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

At 72hr I would expect you could max it, and tweak performance in the game settings.

I will also try 90 hz.

btw in oculus tray tool, for ASW settings, we have auto, and also adaptative (unsure what it is) and then 45/30/18. But ok for 90 hz, then half that is 45, but then 30 means 60hz and 18 means 36hz, those are strange values.

About the resolution below I have set it up to auto. Think I should remove auto and select it myself?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, harf4ng said:

I will also try 90 hz.

btw in oculus tray tool, for ASW settings, we have auto, and also adaptative (unsure what it is) and then 45/30/18. But ok for 90 hz, then half that is 45, but then 30 means 60hz and 18 means 36hz, those are strange values.

About the resolution below I have set it up to auto. Think I should remove auto and select it myself?

Thanks

I don't use OTT anymore. Adaptive ASW means it will switch this on and off when you need it. It will nearly always be on.

The 45/30/18 really means ASW for half, one third and one quarter frame rate. The actual numbers are only relevant for 90hz. As I don't use OTT I never set these. I just leave it on auto and let it do what it wants. Oculus doesn't need too much under the bonnet tweaking these days.

You will probably get better visuals setting resolution yourself as you will go higher, but it will cost a bit of performance. On your hardware I would expect you to be able to go higher than default. Default values are low so that nearly anyone can plug it in and it will be smooth from the get go. 

Edited by Hoirtel

34 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I don't use OTT anymore. Adaptive ASW means it will switch this on and off when you need it. It will nearly always be on.

The 45/30/18 really means ASW for half, one third and one quarter frame rate. The actual numbers are only relevant for 90hz. As I don't use OTT I never set these. I just leave it on auto and let it do what it wants. Oculus doesn't need too much under the bonnet tweaking these days.

You will probably get better visuals setting resolution yourself as you will go higher, but it will cost a bit of performance. On your hardware I would expect you to be able to go higher than default. Default values are low so that nearly anyone can plug it in and it will be smooth from the get go. 

Except that DCS is not well optimized and therefore take a huge of ressources. Especially in multiplayer 🙂

I like OTT especially to have different settings for different games as some games take more ressources than others. Without OTT you setup things directly into ODT?

I guess I will have to do some tweakings ^^ Yesterday I tried the first mission of the UH1H argo campaign and I had lag, too many boats on the sea. And DCS crashed. Depends on the mission. DCS is really not well optimized ^^

btw this 1.0 and more, on the oculus app settings under refresh rate, isn't it the same as setting the super sampling for the game?

Edited by harf4ng

2 hours ago, battlegear2099 said:

For Oculus rift/Quest2 only

Anybody using openxr toolkit+ compositor with skatezilla steamvr so not set oculus?.   

testing history info: so I am currently using the older oculus openxr  runtime + compositor runtime switcher set to default runtime openxr with skatezilla set to oculus, works fine for rift and quest 2 still need to test but the fps is less than what I can get with the new version of  toolkit + latest compositor openxr dll version.    now I am looking to get the new dll working with the headset overlay menu. The issue is I am getting a smaller headset view point, head in a bubble/fishbowl  and there is a broken very large zoomed blue + cursor in cockpit, outside the aircraft normal size  not functional in its zoomed size.  so no mods installed durning these tests  and if direct launch dcs no openxr headset menu shows up not using the new dll , its defaulting to using oculus runtime with out skatezilla and ignoring compositor runtime switcher.   just curous if anyone is using this  combination or the fishbowl view with large zoomed + cursor in cockpit.   scratching my head on this one.  I expect its the new dll, as old ones dont do it, but there old out of date no longer updated, no overlay menu with extra setting for better fps etc.  reason for doing all this,   better fps gained with new dll, I use a stream deck and a leap motion hand tracking in dcs before openxr toolkit got updated.  

289853748_10160935977564252_5232735143586325332_n.jpg

Is there a comparison between all of this modding and just running it normally. I'm still not convinced the oculus needs to be modded like WMR headsets. 

It depends on your PC  specs and gfx card and how new. I been playing in VR since 2013. I have very old system and it Oculus vr was fine in early days DCs 2.5. I still need to use mods. but since moving to 2.7. frames have dropped in half and VR is not playable without mods, on my system, I am in  mid to high 30's fps  and made it to spiked to 40 once lol.  This just DCs only,all my other VR games , flight sims don't require mods. So yes it's does make definitely a increase in fps combined with lowering DCs settings for my system. I have since added a Quest2. And other. And new demanding DCs like FA18, AH64 etc , and Related VR hardware. So i need to get as many frames as possible now to play the ah64 frame hog.  The costs to replace my old mb core/ gfx card system would be allot. It's not upgradeable anymore. Ya my system is past it's prime, should be in the bone yard.  🙂

Edited by battlegear2099

38 minutes ago, battlegear2099 said:

It depends on your PC  specs and gfx card and how new. I been playing in VR since 2013. I have very old system and it Oculus vr was fine in early days DCs 2.5. I still need to use mods. but since moving to 2.7. frames have dropped in half and VR is not playable without mods, on my system, I am in  mid to high 30's fps  and made it to spiked to 40 once lol.  This just DCs only,all my other VR games , flight sims don't require mods. So yes it's does make definitely a increase in fps combined with lowering DCs settings for my system. I have since added a Quest2. And other. And new demanding DCs like FA18, AH64 etc , and Related VR hardware. So i need to get as many frames as possible now to play the ah64 frame hog.  The costs to replace my old mb core/ gfx card system would be allot. It's not upgradeable anymore. Ya my system is past it's prime, should be in the bone yard. But I am running windows 11 and its super optimized to the max. and  I am computer guy, I have been on them for over 40 close to 50 years soon. I have fixed pc's all my life, so is what I do, I am good at it. Not pack it in, untill I have to or my magic runs out. Not there yet. 🙂

Fair enough. I guess you gotta do whatever it takes. I've yet to switch to win 11. I had read oculus didn't like it much, however the latest v41 has a note about increased win11 support. You think it's better than 10 for oculus DCS?

On 7/1/2022 at 9:05 AM, Hoirtel said:

Fair enough. I guess you gotta do whatever it takes. I've yet to switch to win 11. I had read oculus didn't like it much, however the latest v41 has a note about increased win11 support. You think it's better than 10 for oculus DCS?

Well Oculus on Windows 10 DCs 2.5 was pretty good for me ,that DCs was way faster back then still is, so not a beta, 2.7 depends on your hardware more now than back then. it's requires such new  gfx card ,faster PC to use it.   I think my 10 was faster than 11 were it counts for  2018, but only a little.  you obviously still need to optimize your 11 same as 10.  system to it's Max for DCs, large page file based on ram , limit background processing, use nivida light none of the exta experience stuff just slows down gfx by obviously running more process and virtual containers. You can use similar software like razor core boost to toggle off services and your default running apps when. In DCs.  Besides  Max your ram slots, use ssd for system drive and large page,keep system storage up  above  80%drive. Tweaks like that.  I made the jump to windows 11 on all my computers on network, accept linux machines. I am running DCs dedicated server on Windows 11/linux. machine. There all running at there max limit. Also other software like Oculus is an improvement as well supporting new openxr are in the beta channel.  the quest 2 you've got your links wired and wireless.   Again all of this runs on Windows 11. I have not tested that on 10 so can really say. Switching over to Windows 11 isn't really of any significant benefits on older system that are running good.  unless you need to for new hardware or want to try it. it's the latest and  ohh and big issue old computer systems are not supported. the mb needs to support tpm security layer in bios, so that a big hurdle. If does not it not easy to install 11, you need file/registry  hacks, not impossible.  but not just a upgrade or install from USB key. unless your computer guy or girl not easy to keep it running, windows updates could brick it. Kinda needs to keep update service disabled by default,only enable for other updates back disabled as updates are frequently. To risky to screw up the system.  So yes for staying up to date/ support/ new mb hardware and no old systems unless you upgrading to new mb hardware/ performance boost is minimum over 10🙂, hope that answers your question, little long explanation.  

Edited by battlegear2099

ok tested  my rift / Quest2 in steamvr as openxr and oculus openxr runtimes with ott and also openxr toolkit toggle and compositor switcher for both.  So steam vr openxr works with the stream deck and leap motion hand tracking,  but my pc is too slow to pull it off 😉 so new pc in my near future🙂

image.png

Edited by battlegear2099

• 4 weeks later...

My Quest 2 runs DCS World very solid with Virtual Desktop wireless. 45fps locked for normal ops and drops to 30 (but a solid 30) when there is lots of action or AI. It's very playable at those framerates and gives a good experience. Virtual Desktop wireless connection speed is 866Mbps.

The only module that kills it is the Apache - where it drops to a slideshow, even sat in a cold and dark cockpit.

Haven't had the need for OTT since a couple of years now, so my settings tend to be standard - though I do tweak a little using Sidequest - texture size, for eggs. Don't know if that has any bearing on DCS, and as all was well except up to the Apache, I've never checked.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

22 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

My Quest 2 runs DCS World very solid with Virtual Desktop wireless. 45fps locked for normal ops and drops to 30 (but a solid 30) when there is lots of action or AI. It's very playable at those framerates and gives a good experience. Virtual Desktop wireless connection speed is 866Mbps.

The only module that kills it is the Apache - where it drops to a slideshow, even sat in a cold and dark cockpit.

Haven't had the need for OTT since a couple of years now, so my settings tend to be standard - though I do tweak a little using Sidequest - texture size, for eggs. Don't know if that has any bearing on DCS, and as all was well except up to the Apache, I've never checked.

Apache it´s a mess on VRAM usage, more than the Hind so unless you have a 24gb VRAM GPU you should lower the texture detail to medium.

To me OTT just mess something, i prefer to use Oculus Debug Tool and, if i need some especific option for DCS, i made a .bat to change what i want (like FOV, as example)

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier