Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

No, the system works at 90 fps. Anything less and you start experiencing stuttering. However, Oculus implemented ASW (Asynchronous Spacewarp) which is on by default. When a game can't maintain 90 FPS by itself, Oculus forces it to run at half of that (45 fps) and interpolates the frames inbetween. It's almost as smooth as 90 fps, but you get some slight visual artifacts.

Ctrl+Numpad 1 turns off ASW, Ctrl+Numpad 4 turns it back.

Ah, that explains what I meant! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

System performance

These are my specs:

1. CPU: i7 4770K at 4.3GHz

2. MEM: 32GB PC3-12800 at 1600MHz

3. SSD: DCS on Samsung SSD 960 Pro M.2 512GB MZ-V6P512BW

OS on SSD Kingston V300 240GB

4. Graphics: GTX 1080 8GB at 1700MHz

I believe this is top of the line PC config, maybe memory could be faster and CPU could be a bit newer generation but generally I think this is a monster config.

What kind of performance should I expect in Rift CV1? In both 1.5 and 2.0 I never get 90FPS. At times it is even around 25FPS in 1.5 around large cities. 2.0 is generally better and almost always stays at 45FPS. I get minor, unnoticeable, improvements when I scale down graphics settings. So I generally set everything at max except flat shadows. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong or it's just the outdated engine of the DCS?

Outta missiles, outta bullets, down to harsh language...

These are my specs:

I believe this is top of the line PC config, maybe memory could be faster and CPU could be a bit newer generation but generally I think this is a monster config.

What kind of performance should I expect in Rift CV1? In both 1.5 and 2.0 I never get 90FPS. At times it is even around 25FPS in 1.5 around large cities. 2.0 is generally better and almost always stays at 45FPS. I get minor, unnoticeable, improvements when I scale down graphics settings. So I generally set everything at max except flat shadows. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong or it's just the outdated engine of the DCS?

turn water to low

shadows to low

vis range high

cockpit res to 512 (no difference)

civ traffic to med

hdr off

depth of field off

lense effect off

MSAA off

Anisotropic filtering to 4

trees and grass - turn down to middle..

I have almost the same setup as you and get 45fps all the time.

or turn everything to low except terrain and terrain texture and slowly increase bit by bit until you get it right.

it's a pain but the best way of getting where you want to be.

hope this helps

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

These are my specs:

Also take a look at what pixel density you set.

It seems that going above 1.7 can impact fps, although I don't notice any visual improvement.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

Please, please help me! :)

This is my first time using rift :pilotfly: and I'm already astonished by simply arriving in dcs interface "hangar" and I see a HUGE plane. But!

For some reason dcs interface (where one chooses mission etc.) is behind me. More than that - when I enter the mission/plane I'm facing the tail insteed of looking forward :)

Question - how do I set a proper pilot position?

Thanks and sorry for my broken English (with Russian accent :))

Thanks

Ted

PS: When I entered the cockpit... even facing backwards... This is unreal! It'a like really being there!

What can I say.... Simply amasing! This is ...I'm out of words.

One thing - never again I use DCS with monitor. VR is the only way... With all it's little teething problems it's still astonishing - the sensation of actual flight... Superb!

One thing - don't have sound in the Rift... Have to use separate headphones pluged in PC. It's not that much of a problem anyway.

One thing - never again I use DCS with monitor. VR is the only way... With all it's little teething problems it's still astonishing - the sensation of actual flight... Superb!

One thing - don't have sound in the Rift... Have to use separate headphones pluged in PC. It's not that much of a problem anyway.

Welcome to the club FedorMS. It is amazing and you will find never stops being so. Also, try other stuff too. Some neat ones out.

As for no sound in Rift. Try going to 'playback devices' in your sounds control panel and select 'Rift headphones' as default device, then it will work fine, just switch back to speakers or whatever after.

Try that.

r-click little speaker in tray by clock and l-click playback devices.

r-click Rift headphones in list, select set as default device. click OK to close window. Should then work.

Welcome to the club FedorMS. It is amazing and you will find never stops being so. Also, try other stuff too. Some neat ones out.

As for no sound in Rift. Try going to 'playback devices' in your sounds control panel and select 'Rift headphones' as default device, then it will work fine, just switch back to speakers or whatever after.

Try that.

r-click little speaker in tray by clock and l-click playback devices.

r-click Rift headphones in list, select set as default device. click OK to close window. Should then work.

Many thanks for prompt and ditailed advice - this community rocks. This VR technology is already great and makes me feel sorry that not every virtual pilot has it at his disposal. Putin should do something about it :smilewink:

Many thanks for prompt and ditailed advice - this community rocks. This VR technology is already great and makes me feel sorry that not every virtual pilot has it at his disposal. Putin should do something about it :smilewink:

No prob. I hope it worked as expected for you. I have multiple devices in my setup so I have a 'pre-VR use' checklist. Switching to Rift headphones is part of it. As well as switching back to my main playback device(speakers) after VR sessions. A few clicks, no big deal.

Yeah one of the things I like reading most is new user 1st flight/use posts. Even better when it comes from a former almost anti-vr hardliner. Few of those and it is cool hearing the shedding of doubt and just being amazed by it in even it's 1st gen iteration. Only will get better. But damn good now.

Perhaps Putin can apply his unique brand of 'influence' to VR adoption. Perhaps he backs an app that allows you to ride VR horses shirtless with him through meadow. Stop and wrestle bear, then drink vodka with it to help it overcome it's sadness from it's crushing defeat. Something like that. Like $8.99 in Stream store. :smilewink:

Edited by Torso

No prob. I hope it worked as expected for you. I have multiple devices in my setup so I have a 'pre-VR use' checklist. Switching to Rift headphones is part of it. As well as switching back to my main playback device(speakers) after VR sessions. A few clicks, no big deal.

Yeah one of the things I like reading most is new user 1st flight/use posts. Even better when it comes from a former almost anti-vr hardliner. Few of those and it is cool hearing the shedding of doubt and just being amazed by it in even it's 1st gen iteration. Only will get better. But damn good now.

Perhaps Putin can apply his unique brand of 'influence' to VR adoption. Perhaps he backs an app that allows you to ride VR horses shirtless with him through meadow. Stop and wrestle bear, then drink vodka with it to help it overcome it's sadness from it's crushing defeat. Something like that. Like $8.99 in Stream store. :smilewink:

Shirtless horse riding and bear wrestling/vodka drinking app sounds great. $8.99 even more so :)

History shows that technology once created and if adopted by mass production (demand is required) becomes much less expensive. Cutting edge tech. will be expensive (4k plus gloves in 2018 :smilewink:) but current level (CV1, Vive) would become more affordable and wide spread.

Currently I'm having a bit of a problem operating keyboard buttons during flight. Will need some more remapping to saitek. But radio communications in SP missions (I'm total novice to sim flying) is particular pain in terms that it requires taking the headset off to look for keyboard buttons. May be I should take of that foam as people suggested here? May be it will allow for "better sneaking" though that "window" in the knose area?

Currently I'm having a bit of a problem operating keyboard buttons during flight. Will need some more remapping to saitek. But radio communications in SP missions (I'm total novice to sim flying) is particular pain in terms that it requires taking the headset off to look for keyboard buttons. May be I should take of that foam as people suggested here? May be it will allow for "better sneaking" though that "window" in the knose area?

You might look into Voice Attack, I plan to get it here in the very near future.

You can also check out this thread for Vaicom by Hollwood_315. He has several profiles for individual modules to use with Voice Attack.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You might look into Voice Attack, I plan to get it here in the very near future.

You can also check out this thread for Vaicom by Hollwood_315. He has several profiles for individual modules to use with Voice Attack.

Thanks a lot! I will definately give it a try. Again - this community rocks! As well as DCS with VR :)

You really dont need to take off your Rift to operate the radio. Now the radio menu can be selected simply by mouse , All you have to do is assign the radio menu button (/) to any unused button in your hotas then you can use the mouse to chose any radio order or menu etc ..

Yes I just got my Rift today and am also at a loss for words.

Boy do you ever improve your flying quickly or else get dizzy!

Keep in mind they recommend the Innatek card as the "low end" solution. You can only plug a maximum of 2 sensors into it because its just 1 USB hub that shares its bandwidth across the USB ports.

If you plant to use 3+ sensors or want to run everything (or everything but the HMD) off 1 card to leave your motherboard ports open for HOTAS / accessories, then they recommend the PEXUSB3S44V which almost everyone that uses has never had an issue with (compared to lots of innatek issues).

The only con to the PEXUSB3S44V is that its nearly 4x more expensive and uses a PCIe x4 slot, but its one of those things where if you plan to run a lot of sensors you can do it once and do it right, making sure every sensor has a dedicated full USB 3.0 bandwidth port available. You can run all sensors and the HMD on usb 3.0 and not use any USB 2.0 slots on your motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZEA2S

unfortunately it's only bullshit from oculus.

i alreday read a blog where the guy had to plug EVERYTHING to get his headset and the touchs correctly in USB2.0

i even saw testimonies of people having problem with this innatek card.

Oculus talk about USB3 just because they want to be sure taht they have enough available bandwith on the controler.

but depending on the generation of your chipset and how your usb controller is connected (how many PCIE lines are used etc) you may have different expreiences.

On my side i have the 2 sensors on USB2 adn the headset on an USB3 which seems to be as media.

the oculus software cmplains about it but it works perfectly.

i just have to find how to raise the FPS on DCS as this is the only game where i do not have 90FPS (more 15-20 which is awfull). and i have anb I7 2600k and a gtx1080

I5-8600k @4.2 (for now), GTX2080 Aorus watercooled , 32 GB DDR4, MSI Z370 Pro Carbon, SSD 500GB + 960GB + 480GB +nvme, Oculus Rift S + Hp reverb pro, warthog + TRFP

Full home made wall PC Case Dark Side Of The Wall

:pilotfly:

:thumbup:

Yes I just got my Rift today and am also at a loss for words.

Boy do you ever improve your flying quickly or else get dizzy!

Congrats and have fun!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

unfortunately it's only bullshit from oculus.

i alreday read a blog where the guy had to plug EVERYTHING to get his headset and the touchs correctly in USB2.0

i even saw testimonies of people having problem with this innatek card.

I was fortunate I guess, I got the Innatek card first thing before installing the Rift, and my 2 sensor setup has been running flawless for the most part for me. I have the sensors along with the cable from the Rift plugged into the card.

Don B

HI

i have a dk2, i have not used for a long while. a few days ago i took it out, upgraded to the latest runtime, and DCS world 1.5. now when i move my head forward, i should see the cockpit front panels come close that does not happen. how that oculus does not support it. any help i would appreciate it?

I remember reading but can't find it now about someone who turned off by mistake 6dof and that when they moved over to look out the cockpit the cockpit moved away. Actually the focus of the field moves with the pilot...how do you get 6dof back?

I remember reading but can't find it now about someone who turned off by mistake 6dof and that when they moved over to look out the cockpit the cockpit moved away. Actually the focus of the field moves with the pilot...how do you get 6dof back?

yes that is what is exactly is happening.