Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

unfortunately it's only bullshit from oculus.

i alreday read a blog where the guy had to plug EVERYTHING to get his headset and the touchs correctly in USB2.0

i even saw testimonies of people having problem with this innatek card.

Oculus talk about USB3 just because they want to be sure taht they have enough available bandwith on the controler.

but depending on the generation of your chipset and how your usb controller is connected (how many PCIE lines are used etc) you may have different expreiences.

On my side i have the 2 sensors on USB2 adn the headset on an USB3 which seems to be as media.

the oculus software cmplains about it but it works perfectly.

i just have to find how to raise the FPS on DCS as this is the only game where i do not have 90FPS (more 15-20 which is awfull). and i have anb I7 2600k and a gtx1080

First off Oculus (Vive as well) setting a minimum "recommended" spec to guide people to a pc build that will ensure a comfortable VR experience isn't bullshit. It is a fair guideline that allows developers to design to given expectation. Same with the usb 3 recommendation. Oculus ships a usb 2 cable with the camera, if you order one separately. This is a guideline for the same reason. Your I7 Sandy Bridge is below spec but it works. Oculus is quite aware of this and that some weakness in a build is not a deal breaker, but too many weak parts can be problematic.

Problems with usb are not as simple a one guy in one blog. Some people have problems because of Windows power mgmt. Some have problems because of different usb controllers running different ports, some have problems because of issues Oculus has confirmed with recent runtimes and multiple sensors. Some just don't know how to set up their sensors.

DCS is not a native VR app and being several years old it is unlikely you will ever see a sustained 90fps. Nobody does. DCS improves with newer procs and love higher clocks like 4.2 or higher. Also likes ddr4. Most here have lamented the lack of any meaningful improvement from a GTX 1080 upgrade in DCS. This is totally opposite of how most native VR titles perform with a gpu of this power. Hence guidelines for VR and why you get crappy a framerate in DCS

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Same problem here. Required reboot of the Oculus software to resolve every time. Is now being replaced under warranty.

"I remember reading but can't find it now about someone who turned off by mistake 6dof and that when they moved over to look out the cockpit the cockpit moved away. Actually the focus of the field moves with the pilot...how do you get 6dof back?"

yes that is what is exactly is happening.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Same problem here. Required reboot of the Oculus software to resolve every time. Is now being replaced under warranty.

"I remember reading but can't find it now about someone who turned off by mistake 6dof and that when they moved over to look out the cockpit the cockpit moved away. Actually the focus of the field moves with the pilot...how do you get 6dof back?"

There was a post I read about it here and I don't remember reading through it at the time. Does anyone know what they did to make it happen. I can't say because I press a lot of the keyboard buttons in the blind.

I'm now going to remap my HOTAS! With all the changes in commands with VR does anyone know if there is a revised commands sheet available?

I got a pair of touch controllers since the pricecut, tried them in DCS but I'm not quite sure how it's going to work. The actual touch controllers are too large to have one in each hand + have hands on HOTAS.

So either have the controller strapped to your wrist then take your hand off throttle/stick and grab the touch controller when you need to push something, or are the touch controllers going to replace the physical HOTAS we have? I think that could work. Be interesting to see what ED come up with.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

dburne, I am running Oculus Rift with sli paired GTX 780s. What improvements (if any) should I expect by replacing the 780s with a single 1080?

You are not getting anything from SLI in VR, so it really is probably like you are running a single 780.

You are talking two generations of vid card difference, which in VR I would imagine would be at least somewhat of a significant increase. Especially if you were to go with a 1080 card.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I got a pair of touch controllers since the pricecut, tried them in DCS but I'm not quite sure how it's going to work. The actual touch controllers are too large to have one in each hand + have hands on HOTAS.

So either have the controller strapped to your wrist then take your hand off throttle/stick and grab the touch controller when you need to push something, or are the touch controllers going to replace the physical HOTAS we have? I think that could work. Be interesting to see what ED come up with.

Well I guess ED put those gloves in there as kind of a teaser, who knows what they may or may not have planned for Touch. Like you, I find it hard to imagine being able to use Touch controllers whilst using a HOTAS setup. Maybe at some point they might look at making the stick and throttle controls virtual, ie be able to be gripped, moved, and buttons pressed with one's virtual hand. Just wild speculation there on my part.

Btw, there are some pretty good games available for Touch these days, namely shooters.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Should you disconnect Oculus Rift from the computer when not using it as I see an orange standby light on and the headset is warm?

Just close the Oculus app when you're not using the headset --no need to disconnect.

dburne, do you have a feel for which 1080 card manufacturer might be best configured for DCS?

I have been a big fan of EVGA cards myself, always had great success with them.

Their 1080 FTW2 ICX version would be an awesome card.

They have just announced a 1080 Ti FTW3 ICXwhich details should be coming out on in the next few days - should drop the 1080 FTW2 ICX price as well. Unless you want to splash the cash for the new 1080 Ti...

• Like 1

Don B

finally the reboot did work with me. now i will but a better video card and play with it till my hearts content. thinking of getting a nvidia 1070.

Glad it all worked out atomdude...just wish we knew what the heck caused it in the first place. I have a new rig with a GTX1080 so don't think it was because you had an older card that caused it to happened.

My "Opinion" on DCS and the Rift (CV1)

So I just figured I would post my honest opinion of DCS (only DCS)in VR using the Oculus Rift.

My system Basic Specs are as follows: ( I won't bore you with all the model numbers, but believe me, they are pretty stout)

I7-6700K

16gb RAM

2 x SSD (one on the MB and one on a cable)

MSI GTX1080

Ben Q 27" 144hz Monitor

Not sure how to put this.......... I like it (a lot) and I don't like it (a lot).

I wont get into the "feeling" you get when you fly in VR, that in itself is amazing. You really feel like you are in a cockpit. I mean, the thing that really got me was the 3 dimensional way the cockpit looked, you could "see" the gap between a hydraulic line and the roof of the cockpit. (in the KA-50) I felt like I was in a Disney Ride, nausea and all.

I will say you won't find yourself throwing the aircraft around anymore, why, because you will throw up all over your nice PC.

But the screen door effect. MAN, that sucks. If you want to fly for the sheer joy of it and do BVR missions then it is the thing for you. But I will say, even reading the Scope on the F-15C is kinda difficult (unless you line up with it and move your head forward, then sure, it's readable). Forget about "reading" the small text on the gauges and such.

Yes, my pixel density is at 2.0.

I have tried all different types of aircraft and helo's, and while you really can do it all (A to A and A2G),hell in my first time in the F-15C I shot down 2 planes, one with guns, so it isn't all that hard, it is just really hard to get past that pixelation, for me.

I am not sure how it is going to be going back to non-VR, but i'm sure it'll be fine.

This isn't meant to discourage anyone, I don't regret getting the Rift (picked it up for 400, not with the touch), but if you like Multiplayer and A2G, get a good monitor.

I was more impressed with switching from a 24" 1920x1200 60hz monitor the the BenQ 27" 144hz. The quality of the image between the two is quite noticeable.

Yep, basically my opinion too. You somewhat get used to it over time, but can't really fix it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

it's like sea sickness, some people never suffer from it, some people have mild symptoms and get over it, or an unlucky few never get over it. I'm lucky to be in the group that doesn't get any symptoms. I don't have any problems reading gauges in the aircraft and the feeling of flight actually improves my situational awareness

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

it's like sea sickness, some people never suffer from it, some people have mild symptoms and get over it, or an unlucky few never get over it. I'm lucky to be in the group that doesn't get any symptoms. I don't have any problems reading gauges in the aircraft and the feeling of flight actually improves my situational awareness

It's not the naseua. When I was in the Navy I got sick everytime when I first started flying, after a few flights, it was no issue.

That I can deal with, not the screen door I have to look through.

And to be honest, I don't want my eyes to "get used to it," Lord knows if they did, everything else would look blurry too. :)

I got over the motion sick after 2-3 weeks. The res and sde are very annoying but the immersion overweights them many times for me. Tried to go back to the 32 TV couple of times but could not stay with it even 5 mins, it is just far behind VR for me.

I have PD at 1.5(I see no difference above this number, only performance impact) I can read even the A10 mfcd's with some leaning to them, no issues at all. Had no problems with both A2G or A2A MP or SP. Had some action in blue flag with KA-50 (abris is absolutly readable) and M2000, and a lot of huey flying with 229th. My SA and overall flying are significantly better in VR, Flying formations, landings, AAR is much easier.

The only real issue caused by the SDE and the low res is identifying and object by eyeball, which is a problem for WWII birds, but for tgp, shkval or other systems it is not a problem. I am so used to it now that it doesn't even bother me.

Of course it is my pesonal opinion and it is probably different for different persons and configurations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not the naseua. When I was in the Navy I got sick everytime when I first started flying, after a few flights, it was no issue.

That I can deal with, not the screen door I have to look through.

And to be honest, I don't want my eyes to "get used to it," Lord knows if they did, everything else would look blurry too. :)

I agree wholeheartedly on the situation awareness, I just want to see the situation more clearly. Hopefully the CV2 will make that happen.

I got over the motion sick after 2-3 weeks. The res and sde are very annoying but the immersion overweights them many times for me. Tried to go back to the 32 TV couple of times but could not stay with it even 5 mins, it is just far behind VR for me.

I have PD at 1.5(I see no difference above this number, only performance impact) I can read even the A10 mfcd's with some leaning to them, no issues at all. Had no problems with both A2G or A2A MP or SP. Had some action in blue flag with KA-50 (abris is absolutly readable) and M2000, and a lot of huey flying with 229th. My SA and overall flying are significantly better in VR, Flying formations, landings, AAR is much easier.

The only real issue caused by the SDE and the low res is identifying and object by eyeball, which is a problem for WWII birds, but for tgp, shkval or other systems it is not a problem. I am so used to it now that it doesn't even bother me.

Of course it is my pesonal opinion and it is probably different for different persons and configurations.

I mean, maybe I have some graphics setting wrong, but the ABRIS is "readable", yes.

I just think "readable" may be the operative term.

True, when I go back to the 27" this evening, I may find the same thing, I doubt it, but who knows.

True, when I go back to the 27" this evening, I may find the same thing, I doubt it, but who knows.

Well it might depends how long you stayed with VR. Since I was doing more racing back then and the bad res and sde was no issue at all there but the pros was huge, i tried to go back to tv after 1-2 months in VR and I was already used to it. If you just gave it a shot you might be fine back to the screen :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]