Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

As of today, would I be advised to by Oculist rift merely to fly in this game and are my specs sufficient? Intel ® core CPU 3.50GHz (4CPUs) Mem 8192MB DirectX 12, Gforce GTX 960

I would say no also. I doubt you will get high enough framerates.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

What CPU are you actually running? Which generation? Depending on the chip there could be potential for OC (as it would be if it's a I5 6600k).

Not saying you will be able to run the rift with the GTX 960, but CPU OC and a GPU Swap could bring you closer to the rift.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

As of today, would I be advised to by Oculist rift merely to fly in this game and are my specs sufficient? Intel ® core CPU 3.50GHz (4CPUs) Mem 8192MB DirectX 12, Gforce GTX 960

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

Oculus provides a "Compatibility Tool" that will test your system to see if it meets Oculus Standards.

My Rig is over 4 yrs Old and did not pass the test,but with a Healthy overclock and a G-Force 1080 I'm able to enjoy DCS in VR until I'm ready to upgrade.

Intel i7 3790x @4.7GHz Asus 1080 Graphics 16 gig RAM

Edited by Phantom88
spelling

Patrick

mini.gif

I couldn't fly with out VR. It's so much better than TrackIr. It does have its issues though but it'll only get better as time goes by.

I am with you there, tried flying again on my 2d monitor not long ago, and it was terrible to me.

My Track IR is officially retired now...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You would get way more fps from an I7 6700k overclocked to say 4.6 than moving up to a 1080ti. Way more. DCS is very much liking the high clock and ddr4.

Not so sure about that - I run my 6700K at the standard 4.2Ghz and it barely even starts breathing heavy in VR, whereas my 1080ti Strix OC does max out.

See screen shot of F-5E instant-action Takeoff mission.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=161457&d=1493414956

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not so sure about that - I run my 6700K at the standard 4.2Ghz and it barely even starts breathing heavy in VR, whereas my 1080ti Strix OC does max out.

See screen shot of F-5E instant-action Takeoff mission.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=161457&d=1493414956

I could be wrong but relative to where he is and depending on his setting I think s cpu would give him more. Although DCS 2 is uses more GPU than DCS 1.5 it is still vastly more cpu than gpu dependent. This study is a little dated and only done on 1.5 but it is quite obvious this isn't your normal VR title. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374

This and the mention by some (in this thread)who have moved from a GTX 980 to 1080 or more, saying they thought they would get a bigger boost leads me to my conclusion. The thread is quite informative at any rate.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I fly with the A10C on the Nevada map but to me the scale seems off. What I mean by that is the A10C seems much bigger compared to the landscape. I know in Flyinside you can adjust the planes size, but you can't do that in DCS. Does anyone else get this where the scale seems off?

Guys please help! I was runnind amd card and to be able to push things in multiplayer i pressed alt+enter for fullscreen. Now I got GTX1070 and as soon as i press alt+enter i get black screen in RIFT:( How to solve this thing?

Just one thing I can think of, do you have the fullscreen box checked in the options menu. Also in power settings make sure you disable USB suspend.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html

Does the Sim run ok when you don't go alt enter?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to everyone....i am wondering to get into vr and buying an or, but before spending 700 euros i would like to know if my system will be ok with it...i have an msi laptop and i have very good performance with dcs world 1.5.6 using an external 3440x1440 monitor (60fps with most settings high)...the notebook is done for gaming and vr (msi gt73vr 7re titan) and has this specs:

I7-7820hk which i overclock at 4.2 when playing dcs

Gtx 1070 overclocked as well using the msi software

32 gb ram

1 nvm2 ssd for so

1 sata ssd for the games

17.3 full hd monitor at 120hz (but i use external 34" 21:9 monitor as said before)

Eventually in the future i could use an external gpu via thunderbolt 3 connector, but for now i am satisfied with the graphical performances.

My question is, how i could do a realistic testing to see the vr performances with dcs?both steam and oculus tests say my computer is ok...but i don't know with dcs, can someone advice me?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I would imagine getting very good results in VR with that specification. It would be best for you to travel to visit a friend with a rift to try if at all possible. Having a laptop certainly makes it easier than taking a tower with you. Also if you buy from Amazon they have a good return policy. A friend bought one and decided he disliked it and got a full refund :)

Hope this helps you get one, you won't regret it:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would imagine getting very good results in VR with that specification. It would be best for you to travel to visit a friend with a rift to try if at all possible. Having a laptop certainly makes it easier than taking a tower with you. Also if you buy from Amazon they have a good return policy. A friend bought one and decided he disliked it and got a full refund :)

Hope this helps you get one, you won't regret it:thumbup:

Unfortunately no friend of mine is involved in flight sims (no near one anyway).

Anyway i found an offer at 550 euros...but not on amazon :p

Is there a scenario or a settings in dcs which i can use to simulate vr and see the fps?

Thanks again

Ps in the picture you can see my notebook stats while playing dcs world enemy within campaign in 1.5.6 at 3440x1440 (settings below) and never down 60fps (neither up because i use vsync)

a6fefbace3b6800c64b59cb5bdf81374.png

c2b0c9b4aa4f3d1772dca02d4aa496c8.jpg

Edited by VirusAM
  • Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I pulled the trigger:gun_sniper: on Friday and got a Cv1 and I don't mean the USS Langley:megalol: and Cibit Brother you are right on the money:cheer3nc::cheer3nc: :thumbup: I don't think i'll ever go back to monitor setup to :pilotfly: ever again. Thx again..

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

I pulled the trigger:gun_sniper: on Friday and got a Cv1 and I don't mean the USS Langley:megalol: and Cibit Brother you are right on the money:cheer3nc::cheer3nc: :thumbup: I don't think i'll ever go back to monitor setup to :pilotfly: ever again. Thx again..

Hey man that's the style. I had mine rma'd due to a fault and tried once with track ir. Then played company of heroes for 2 weeks :thumbup:

P.S. welcome to the club :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unfortunately no friend of mine is involved in flight sims (no near one anyway).

Anyway i found an offer at 550 euros...but not on amazon :p

Is there a scenario or a settings in dcs which i can use to simulate vr and see the fps?

Thanks again

Ps in the picture you can see my notebook stats while playing dcs world enemy within campaign in 1.5.6 at 3440x1440 (settings below) and never down 60fps (neither up because i use vsync)

a6fefbace3b6800c64b59cb5bdf81374.png

c2b0c9b4aa4f3d1772dca02d4aa496c8.jpg

I think your system will perform just fine with the Rift.

What is the current state of ASW? I know several months ago you had to do a registry edit and use the keyboard to turn it off and on. Has that changed? Is the edit still necessary, and is it still turned off and on manually?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

What is the current state of ASW? I know several months ago you had to do a registry edit and use the keyboard to turn it off and on. Has that changed? Is the edit still necessary, and is it still turned off and on manually?

It is on by default now. No need to edit the registry any more. You can control its state like this:

• Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.
  • Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.
  • Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.
  • Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW automatically turns on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This is the default runtime rendering mode.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Thanks!

It is on by default now. No need to edit the registry any more. You can control its state like this:

• Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.
  • Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.
  • Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.
  • Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW automatically turns on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This is the default runtime rendering mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind