Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

Got mine yesterday. Went to the bed with a motion sickness, almost fell from my chair twice - will get the belts. So, Rift is a party breaker. I can't go back to my TIR setup, but I'm not 100% happy with the clarity either. Broken state. My button boxes, two large monitors all became a waste. By the way, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. Also, I could not see enough of a difference in sharpness between 1.6 and 2.5. Why is that? It gets slow for sure and gets a bit sharper, but small gauge letters are still blurry.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I personally find anything above around 1.8 PD is very much diminishing returns. I am running 1.3 in DCS 2.1 mainly due to the performance of it currently.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Also, what I've noticed is that some letters on around gauges and switches are hard to read not due to their size, but rather due to their size+contrast. For example, I had no problems in reading the tiny pitch trim indicator in F-5E, but can't see numbers on a bigger HSI because they are kinda grayish. So, cockpits could be improved in respect to VR by adding extra contrast to all letters.

Got mine yesterday. Went to the bed with a motion sickness, almost fell from my chair twice - will get the belts. So, Rift is a party breaker. I can't go back to my TIR setup, but I'm not 100% happy with the clarity either. Broken state. My button boxes, two large monitors all became a waste. By the way, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance. Also, I could not see enough of a difference in sharpness between 1.6 and 2.5. Why is that? It gets slow for sure and gets a bit sharper, but small gauge letters are still blurry.
I use a lot of button boxes with the rift, even the keyboard some times. It is actually great. Just use the nose gap to peak and in no time you will reach them by muscle memory.

I used to eat ginger for the motion sickness but after some time you build your VR legs and now I can use it all day with no sickness at all.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... My button boxes, two large monitors all became a waste. ...

I wouldn't bin the button boxes just yet! I have a DSD box mounted to one side of my wheel base at the front of my rig that is now compulsory equipment...with another one for the other side coming soon!

Put them within easy reach and it doesn't take long to know exactly where they are by muscle memory and feel. Making slight changes to the tactile feel of a few buttons makes locating the right botton/switch even faster.

In RL aircraft you soon learn to just reach out and locate the correct switch without looking, even on a packed overhead panel...you are expected to make a quick visual confirmation however before selections...but that's just because bad things could happen in RL aircraft. Sim a/c no problems just hit it lol...(yes I have accidentally hit the Open Canopy switch on the F-15 in flight haha - better put that one on one of the guarded switches I think. Does improve the view thou..)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Motion sickness is an acclimatisation thing. Keep your sessions short to begin with, and you'll build up resistance over a few sessions. As soon as you start to feel hot, or queasy, just take a break. It is best to take it slowly to begin with, and then it'll start to affect you less and less.

The problem is the disconnect between visual movement, and lack of a co-ordinated feedback from your inner ear. The brain can be trained easily to accept the disconnect.

Hi everyone.

I'm a new a-10c player, I play on standalone 1.5.7 stable and in VR with oculus rift.

I have a question: since I prefer using mouse instead of head movements for the cursor, I've enabled "use mouse" on VR settings. But now I can control the cursor BOTH with mouse and head. I'd like to move the cursor ONLY with the mouse, in order to move the cursor indipendently from my point of view. Is it possible?

Edited by nessuno0505

I wouldn't bin the button boxes just yet! I have a DSD box mounted to one side of my wheel base at the front of my rig that is now compulsory equipment...with another one for the other side coming soon!

Yeah, the second night of flying with VR, and the 'see through the nose gap' technique is adapted.

Edited by sea2sky

Motion sickness is an acclimatisation thing. Keep your sessions short to begin with, and you'll build up resistance over a few sessions. As soon as you start to feel hot, or queasy, just take a break. It is best to take it slowly to begin with, and then it'll start to affect you less and less.

The problem is the disconnect between visual movement, and lack of a co-ordinated feedback from your inner ear. The brain can be trained easily to accept the disconnect.

Personally I've had more motion sickness with flying and driving in real life than I have with the rift, which I'm pleased about, but if the real thing makes you barf then we ought not to be surprised if its simulated equivalent does too. As you say Neil, it's a question of acclimatisation.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Had my first flight in Normandy map today after a lay-off since May. Having followed forum in that time I decided to approach 2.1 with a clean install. I also expected it to be quite bad in the pit. But I must say I was really impressed. Set same settings as I had with 1.5, shadows off, PD 1.3, AF x4, MSAA x2 terrain & water low.

Had a really smooth flight with a constant FPS of 45 from getting in the pit, taxi & takeoff, a whizz around the isle of white and beat up the other 3 south coast airfields, rtb and land.

The only technicals were the mirror not working, and the game paused twice in the 40 minutes or so I was in the pit.

Really impressed.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Wow your doing way better than me on Normandy.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes, copy that. Having seen the posts from you guys I was going to leave it until Autumn when I will be looking at a new rig. But I couldn't stay away and the funds for the rig keep slipping back, might be Christmas at this rate.

After I posted I went back and set VR defaults, it was awful, 2 frames a second ish. Reset to previous settings but left trees, grass etc where they were. Back to 45 FPS. So put shadows to flat and got between 33 & 45 FPS which will do me for a long time as I need to learn takeoffs, circuits and landing. Then navigation, combat manoeuvres, gunnery etc. All part of converting from the Falcon F16 to a Spitfire. By the time I have mastered all of that I should have an I7-7700k PC and ED will have rolled out more fixes and updates.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Had my first flight in Normandy map today after a lay-off since May. Having followed forum in that time I decided to approach 2.1 with a clean install. I also expected it to be quite bad in the pit. But I must say I was really impressed. Set same settings as I had with 1.5, shadows off, PD 1.3, AF x4, MSAA x2 terrain & water low.

Had a really smooth flight with a constant FPS of 45 from getting in the pit, taxi & takeoff, a whizz around the isle of white and beat up the other 3 south coast airfields, rtb and land.

The only technicals were the mirror not working, and the game paused twice in the 40 minutes or so I was in the pit.

Really impressed.

I think I might revert to a PD of 1.3 for the time being and see if I can get smooth gameplay. I recently reset everthing to start from scratch with the latest update and every time I think I have it just right I get a freeze or stutters.:doh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think I might revert to a PD of 1.3 for the time being and see if I can get smooth gameplay. I recently reset everthing to start from scratch with the latest update and every time I think I have it just right I get a freeze or stutters.:doh:

That is what I am running now ( 1.3 ) but it still really struggles in Normandy big time.

Going to try lowering my textures to medium next and see if that will help.

But no MSAA and lower pixel density it starts getting kind of rough.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for some optimizations to be forthcoming. After all Nevada is running fairly decent.

Don B

Well I find PD of 1.1 to be fine for a bit of basic pixel averaging, I can live with some level of moire and for the most part it's just fine.

This allows me to have MSAA @ 2 and AF @ 4 and still mostly avoid the stutters in Normandy flying Gazelle VR. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

A little off topic but just bought some Oculucs Touch controllers not sure what to try out I will be away this weekend but will be waiting for me on Monday :D

After installation of Touch, you will have some free games available to you from Oculus.

Get Robo Recall, which is one of the free ones, and prepare to be blown away. But go through the initial Touch tutorial with the robot first, it is pretty cool as well and helps you get used to how to use them.

Flight sims are still my first love and where I spend the bulk of my VR gaming, but I so enjoy some of those Touch supported title in between as well. Really opened up a new world of gaming for me.

Don B

Well I find PD of 1.1 to be fine for a bit of basic pixel averaging, I can live with some level of moire and for the most part it's just fine.

This allows me to have MSAA @ 2 and AF @ 4 and still mostly avoid the stutters in Normandy flying Gazelle VR. :thumbup:

I lowered textures to Medium, and Visibility Range to Medium. All shadows off.

This allowed me to run 2x MSAA and 8x AF on Normandy and maintain reasonable frame rates with no stutter, and it looks very decent. And really with the resolution in VR, don't know that I see much difference with textures on medium.

Don B

After installation of Touch, you will have some free games available to you from Oculus.

Get Robo Recall, which is one of the free ones, and prepare to be blown away. But go through the initial Touch tutorial with the robot first, it is pretty cool as well and helps you get used to how to use them.

Flight sims are still my first love and where I spend the bulk of my VR gaming, but I so enjoy some of those Touch supported title in between as well. Really opened up a new world of gaming for me.

Thanks I bought my rift for DCS but have the itch for some other stuff after reading about the touch controllers.

This allowed me to run 2x MSAA and 8x AF on Normandy and maintain reasonable frame rates with no stutter, and it looks very decent. And really with the resolution in VR, don't know that I see much difference with textures on medium.

I settled on medium graphics. vr 1.4 no aa, no af. Man this Normandy map is gorgeous.

Edited by dogbite

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I have a question about the visibility/clarity of the current gen VR & DCS. Whats the cause of shimmering and lack of clarity? For example, not clearly seeing an aircraft parked 3 spots away. You see it but its just not clear. Is it the lack of optimization of DCS or the current tech of the oculus rift? The resolution per eye is pretty high to me so I feel/hope that a good optimized DCS would provide similar eyecandy as 2d monitors. Or would we have to wait for the next-gen rifts?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Can you confirm the fps hit that happened with any MSAA or AF enabled has been fixed then ? 8x MSAA dragged me down to single digits before the last patch but 1:huh:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been lurking a while, and finally decided to dip into DCS simming properly. I'm am thinking of going all in with budget for building a new PC to play on Nevada. But I got a question I want to ask, will any sort of system setup be able to play comfortably on Nevada with VR? I am willing to go as far as SLI dual Geforce 1080Ti provided that it actually works. But I hear that SLI isn't fully supported and doesn't provide much performance increase, in that case might as well keep the money in my pocket and built something more modest.

Oculus Rift CV1, i7-7700k, Dual Gefore GTX1080Ti SLI, 2x8GB RAM 2133MHz, Windows 10 64bit.

Don't spend the money for SLI for VR, will not do anything for you at least currently.

Definitely do though get a 1080 Ti. And with a new rig, you will be able to run Nevada ok.

• Like 2

Don B