Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

207 members have voted

1. 1. Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

• $10 at least !
    • $5 at least !
    • not sure.
    • no

Textures for 15$? Really?! That is very-very bad news. I'm not going to pay for this. Graphical updates MUST be free. Or 1-2$ MAX.

What next? "You can run game once only for 1.99$"?

Edited by Bl00dWolf

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
The only thing holding me back is whether this will be used on the new map or will be useless after the merger.

I am pretty sure they will be fine after the merge, but if you give me some time I will make sure.

edit.

Spoken to wags he said it may need a small tweak but there is no reason why it should not work when the merge happens

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Textures for 15$? Really?! That is very-very bad news. I'm not going to pay for this. Graphical updates MUST be free. Or 1-2$ MAX.

?? No. And no?

There is absolutely no basis to the assertion ("Graphical updates MUST be free") nor any logic whatsoever to the question? "What??! They are doing <xxxx>??!! What's next? Setting babies on fire??!!"

Have a nice day.

This is one of the most childish communities ever. spending 1000s of $ for PC and Hardware and is raging about a cosmetic extra option für 15$...

Sorry guys, better start acting like a grown up or gtfo. dont't like it? Don't buy it!

Starway: nice work!

It would be important to remember everyone's situation is different and conditions change from day to day. 2 years ago I paid taxes on a little over 120k for the year. On the job injury and forced retirement means this year I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I may well have $1000 in computer hardware from that time...but personally, if given the choice of a cosmetic upgrade for 15.00 or saving up for a module I can fly...I'm gonna skip the cosmetic upgrade.

There's nothing childish about it. It's called being an adult and making choices.

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

?? No. And no?

There is absolutely no basis to the assertion ("Graphical updates MUST be free") nor any logic whatsoever to the question? "What??! They are doing <xxxx>??!! What's next? Setting babies on fire??!!"

Have a nice day.

Kuznetsov DLC - you must pay

Texture update - you must pay.

Really? In jet-sim I have to pay for textures and ground models?

I'm really disappointed.

Edited by Bl00dWolf
  • Like 1

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

• ED Team

No one is making you pay, it is your choice

Lets not derail this thread, it is for starways texture DLC if you want to discuss pricing strategy please do it in another thread.

Off topic posts will get moved or deleted

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm really disappointed.

You don't HAVE to pay.

If you don't want it or or don't like it cannot afford it, DON'T pay.

Nobody is cheating you out of anything.

You can still play the game fine. Just not with this particular set of textures or those ground models. Just like you cannot fly the Mig-21 without paying for it.

Will buy, when it's on sale or when I get some virtual ED moneys from buying other stuff to offset the price. 15 doritos for a retexture mod is waaaaay too much. Cut that to 9.99999999 cabbage money at most and you'll get more customers.

Not because people can't afford it and are cheap, but because such a price is far less cringe-worthy. That amount of money can buy a crapload of games on Humble Bundle, which to any sane mind will seem like a better deal than pimping out the map everyone is bored to death with. Ok, maybe except John.

• Like 1

I usually don't comment on threads like these but this is just ridiculous to see every time a new type of DLC comes out. Just to clarify, I'm not a fanboy and in fact I will not be buying this because money is tight right now. It looks like excellent work though so congrats to you Starway.

But somebody said he would have to work for an hour and a half to pay for this. Do you really believe that you could sit down in one and a half hours and create this? If you made only a dollar an hour could you create this in 15 hours? That's what trade is all about. Whether the value is there for you are not.

The price isn't unreasonable just don't buy it if you can't afford it or if you don't want it.

Also a free mod for textures could have the same problems as payed for in multiplayer as not everybody will like the same textures or will be using the same so that can't be used against DLC textures either.

If we keep going this way of complaining every time something comes out who will want to create content for us? I'm not talking against genuine critiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• ED Team
It would be important to remember everyone's situation is different and conditions change from day to day. 2 years ago I paid taxes on a little over 120k for the year. On the job injury and forced retirement means this year I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I may well have $1000 in computer hardware from that time...but personally, if given the choice of a cosmetic upgrade for 15.00 or saving up for a module I can fly...I'm gonna skip the cosmetic upgrade.

There's nothing childish about it. It's called being an adult and making choices.

And that's fine, and expected, some cant afford, some wont want it... all of these are fine, but nobody should come here and make Starway feel bad because he was afforded an opportunity to add to DCS through paid DLC.

I am going to stress once again, mature constructive feedback. I am really dissapointed with some of the messages I have seen deleted over night. Try and be better than that guys. When this community is good, its great, when you guys get mean, you guys get ugly... be better than that.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I'm really disappointed.

Well there are plenty ground texture mods available and no one is forcing the purchase upon us. We are consumers and have choices. I choose to buy the DLC when I can afford it as I will get the gazelle too. Whatever when flying the same map for 10 years or so a change is very welcome:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can't remeber the 1.5 EDGE update pricetag, can you?

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

I think, as per the forum usual modus operandi, arguments from both sides are getting emotional and not thought with reason. At this rate, we may soon have a nice locked thread, which will be followed by people asserting censorship of criticism :).

Take a deep breath shall we?

There have been many cases where community have indeed acted a bit immaturely at times, but I do think it is good voicing opinions is good and important, and indeed the very point of a community most of the time.

Personaly I do find concerns over prolifiration of DLCs for every little thing, and pricing of DLCs to be, at least partially valid. Paying a grand or even a few grands once for hardware is one thing. More or less continously needing to keep paying for keeping things enjoyable is another. I would like to echo what Sierra said above, some of us may have to plan their purchases as economic well being can be a transient thing. With carriers and texture updates becoming payware DLC, I can't help but wonder (and be concerned) will this become a potential slippery slope.

However, expecting every hardworked update to be free, even demanding that they should be free, is another thing, that I do not agree and find somewhat not well though out. I can appreciate labour that goes into such things. I am a programmer myself, and also have been a part time photographer too, aaand briefly took a dabble at game development as a creative director. Be it programming, or art assets, these things can be DREARY work to accomplish, that takes lots of time, energy, effort, and as such, cost man hours. I appreciate the idea of people who can add to the sim getting compensated for that, and make $ off their efforts. This will only improve our experience and variety of enhancements we will get. However, I also find 15 $ to be a choice more than I consider good for an alternate texture pack for a free map. People should be able to voice this, there is nothing childish in that. It is not like I can't affort it either, rather I choose not to at this price choice. But this is not to say "it should be free", no, it does not have to be free, and there is nothing wrong for charging for an optional enhancement. I only believe it should be cheaper.

Since ED has clarified that modding will not be impeded, and map itself will get a free update further down the road, there really is not much further to say than disagreeing the price itself.

Flight sims, especially the hardcore, relentlessly hardcore flight sims, is a VERY niche market, that costs A LOT to develop properly. ED, as the developer and maintainer of DCS franchise, the ones that even makes possible for 3rd part modules to be possible to exist, takes the brunt of development effort and cost in my view. Therefore, I appreciate the need to be able to get additional income opportunities besides modules from the franchise. Campaigns for example. I am just worried if this will become a slippery slope, and how far, how deep will this expand. A map texture pack is entirely optional, but for example will people who do not buy carrier modules be able to at least takeoff, land, rearm and repair on carriers for example ? These are things I and people in community probably wonder.

Anyway, sorry I am drifting off topic, I've just meant to say people in both sides, lets try to look at this more level headed, and less emotional :). For the issue itself, I also think it is priced more than I am willing to pay for it, but it certainly should not be free, or certainly not 2-3 $ only either. But, seeing as it is optional, and sim is perfectly enjoyable without it, it is completely OK to just opt out if you don't agree the price.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Please Starway answer. Airports will not have textures in HD? Depending on that answer to purchase your mod. Thank you! Very beautiful textures.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Selling updated textures is over the top let alone for that price. Appreciate the effort and all but no, bad practice and bad reflection on the company and business model.

Now if this was a map overhaul, new airbases, New building models, better terrain then yeah sure at that point you are offering something that might warrant a price tag.

No hate intended, just some feedback from a potential customer.

As a general rule, expand the consumer base, make the pot larger to push larger products, But this double and triple dipping into the ever shrinking pot is simply bad for the long term. Warthunder is doing it and they are eroding their customer base. And i hope i dont see that stuff here.

Edited by sirscorpion

I'm really disappointed.

Nope - no one is saying you have to pay for textures and ground models. ED provides one for free (with the free core of their game, I might add).

You want an high quality optional upgrade? Then yeah, apparently that will set you back $15. Don't like the price tag? Don't buy - and you still have a set of models and textures, so you don't lose anything.

I suggest you check out FSX where setting up a region of ORB-X scenery can easily set you back HUNDREDS of dollars if you want to upgrade the stock mesh with a much more high-density mesh, upgrade to photo-realistic textures, and start slotting in high quality realistic reproductions of specific civil airports, etc.

And then you can start in on the highly realistic weather engines (which can actually map real life, real time, meteorological conditions into the sim), and you're down another rabbit hole for $100s

I''m not sure this DLC is something I'll get, myself - but I'm not going to demand the author provide their time and work to me for free.

Edited by Vedexent

Please Starway answer. Airports will not have textures in HD? Depending on that answer to purchase your mod. Thank you! Very beautiful textures.

That has been answered a couple of times in this thread already. In short: No

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But somebody said he would have to work for an hour and a half to pay for this. Do you really believe that you could sit down in one and a half hours and create this? If you made only a dollar an hour could you create this in 15 hours? That's what trade is all about. Whether the value is there for you are not.

This is a false argument: ED doesn't sell ownership of the modules, but a license to use the software on 1 PC.

The price isn't unreasonable just don't buy it if you can't afford it or if you don't want it.

This is a hostile and defensive argument which doesn't take away customer concerns, I'm always amazed by the use of it on the forum. Each person that thinks of buying a good or service thinks about the value that the product will represent in their life. Your opinion is that the price is reasonable; other opinions are that the price is unreasonable.

Both opinions have the same weight, and the great thing is that opinions can't be right or wrong, as long as they are properly argumented :)

If we keep going this way of complaining every time something comes out who will want to create content for us? I'm not talking against genuine critiques.
They are not complaints, they are valid points of critique against the DLC. In my personal life, I'm not interested in blowing smoke up myself; I only care about the negatives in my work and what can be improved. And so should every organization think IMHO.

EDIT:

Again, I think the terrain is very high quality and Starway did a great job at it, but the whole pricing reminds me of the "Horse Armor" episode for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, when DLC was in its infantcy

Edited by Vincent90

Guys, its been pointed out a few times, this is an OPTIONAL DLC for the terrain textures, you don't have to buy it if you don't like it or you think its not worth it or you can't afford it. No one is making you have to buy it. Please don't complain about this, its what Starway wanted to do (to get some value for his hard work instead of doing all the work and everyone getting it for free) so please respect that. Once more, you don't have to buy if you don't want... so nothing to complain about here.

No longer active in DCS...

WoW ! The reworked ground and building textures are looking very good, too bad airport are not included.

But I think I'll rather keep my money to buy a completely new map or a new module than this for now.

The price tag for such an optional cosmetic modification is a bit too high for my liking, but that is just my opinion.

I am eagerly waiting for the merge and see how Eagle Dynamic will improve the Caucasus map, first.

Edited by Teldja
Grammar, syntac

This is a false argument: ED doesn't sell ownership of the modules, but a license to use the software on 1 PC.

This is a hostile and defensive argument which doesn't take away customer concerns, I'm always amazed by the use of it on the forum. Each person that thinks of buying a good or service thinks about the value that the product will represent in their life. Your opinion is that the price is reasonable; other opinions are that the price is unreasonable.

Both opinions have the same weight, and the great thing is that opinions can't be right or wrong, as long as they are properly argumented :)

They are not complaints, they are valid points of critique against the DLC. In my personal life, I'm not interested in blowing smoke up myself; I only care about the negatives in my work and what can be improved. And so should every organization think IMHO.

EDIT:

Again, I think the terrain is very high quality and Starway did a great job at it, but the whole pricing reminds me of the "Horse Armor" episode for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, when DLC was in its infantcy

My comment wasn't meant to be hostile or defensive. It is true that price fairness is relative and of opinion. It is the pool of opinions that will dictate what is fair in the free market. However there are ways of doing it without trivializing all the hard work that was put into something.

I used to play a sim that was subscriber based for 15$ a month. Some months you would get updates and others you wouldn't. I wasn't only paying for the updates but the experience while I played as it was a mmog. So I don't only look at how long it would take me to create that for myself if I could , but also how much enjoyment it will bring me overtime. Everybody has to make that decision for themselves.