BoxxMann's Tips - Adjust Seat/Eyepoint with VR

DerekSpeare

Greetings friends,

Sec 1: Since a lot of new people to VR might not know this, there exists some useful functions in DCS to make getting your seat/eyepoint position properly configured when using a VR HMD. It's simple and here are the key commands:

• RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

Sec 2: There may be those who do not know you can activate your frame rate counter as well. I find activating the frame rate counter really helps me in fine turning my graphical settings in order to keep frames high:

• RCTRL + Pause/Break = Activates your frame counter; doing it again gives more detailed information

Sec 3: And if you want to "trap" your mouse pointer to keep from deactivating DCS as the primary application running on your Windows desktop, the following key combination is what you want:

• ALT+ENTER = Maximizes the DCS mirror on your desktop to keep the mouse from clicking outside of it
  • Options => VR Tab => Check "Confine Mouse to Game Window"

Sec 4: Force VR on and OFF - thank you Alex O'Keefe:

• dcs.exe --force_enable_VR
  • dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

You'd use those commands in two separate DCS shortcuts on your desktop.

Sec 5: Turn on and off the tooltip flyouts when hovering your mouse cursor over a cockpit control element (TYVM Skatezilla):

• Options => Gameplay Tab => Tool Tips => Uncheck

Sec 6: Enable RECENTERING and ZOOM for VR and bind it to a button/HOTAS:

• Options => Controls Tab => Left Dropdown (planes) => UI Layer => Recenter VR/ZOOM VR (bind to a button)

Sec 7: Using Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) for Oculus Rift (CV1 users only):

• CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW and USE ATW
  • CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW
  • CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW
  • CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automagically

NB: It appears as if ASW is set to "Automatic" mode by default.

NB2: Windows Mixed Reality headset users will go into Steam VR and activate their Reprojection settings directly within Steam VR; additional WMR settings linked at Sec 11 below.

Sec 8: Make your Tooltip Text larger and more readable (thanks to jimiC for this one!)

• Edit the file vrtooltip.DLG in the dcsworld\scripts\ui folder - Use Notepad++ to edit this file.
  • Change the text size at line 71 to 20 or so. I personally use 30, and that makes the text size pretty big for easy reading - note that the same setting may be found on Line 36.

Sec 9: How to enable mirrors without a huge FPS hit (thanks to Knock-Knock for this one!):

Sec 10: I wrote up a post summarizing the basics of pixel density, so if you're interested in that topic, see my thread here:

Sec 11: How to enable Motion Reprojection within Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR:

Commentary:  What's particularly useful about doing this is that the WMR for Steam VR app has a very cool frame rate performance icon represented as a green square when you're getting full 90fps.  There are three other squares that can appear, those being a light blue, dark blue and red.  Light blue means reporjection is on and the CPU is bottlenecking; dark blue means the GPU is bottlenecking,  Both blue squares may appear simultaneously.  If you get the red square then the PC is running below the reporjection frame rates; you should take that to mean you have some adjusting to do.  I recommend that you take a look at this topic to see more about it.  The reporjection setting might be redundant now that it can be controlled in Steam VR directly, but the frame rate icon/square is useful since it runs in real time on your VR display in the top left corner of your view. 

Happy VR Flying!

:pilotfly:

Edited by DerekSpeare
Added secs 10 & 11
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 1 month later...

Pushing up for those who need it :)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

thanks.. how much long till you get your rift!!!

Another month :music_whistling:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I'm waiting for ASUS or Zotac's non-founders editions before selecting something. The 980 in my sig will do fine until then.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the helpful commands. I knew the framerate counter but the others were new to me:)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Thanks for the helpful commands. I knew the framerate counter but the others were new to me:)

You're welcome!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I apologize for dumb question, but what is KP4,2,6,8 (still waiting mine)

Tell me and i will forget, show me and i will remember, involve me and i will understand. Benjamin Franklin

Скажите мне и я забуду, покажите мне и я запомню, дайте мне сделать и я пойму. Бэнджамин Франклин

Никому не нужные цифры обладание разным сочетанием которых почему-то делает нашу жизнь в разы лучше: PG348HOTAS6700K980TiSTRIXSProFCRP

KP = keypad (number block on your keyboard)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I apologize for dumb question, but what is KP4,2,6,8 (still waiting mine)

I think in this case it's confusing for anyone who speaks Russian or uses the Cyrillic alphabet. "KP" in English would be different in Russian. I'd suppose we'd use клавиатура. I'm not entirely sure of what "numeric pad" would be called in Russian...my Russian is very rusty after years of disuse...maybe "номерные клавиатуры" would work or "HK"?

KP = keypad (number block on your keyboard)

:thumbup:

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

So does the framerate counter give the FPS per eye or the overall render? I had to scale back my setting from a monitor setup & I'm getting about 45 fps in DCS 2.0 (not over Vegas). '

With a new computer build underway & hopefully some upcoming improvements to VR by ED this could be a very fun summer!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Added "ALT+Enter" to op.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

• 3 weeks later...

Force VR on and OFF - thank you Alex O'Keefe:

dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

Those are command lines to go in your shortcut parameters.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

Added to OP:

Turn on and off the tooltip flyouts when hovering your mouse cursor over a cockpit control element (TYVM Skatezilla):

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

I am sure it was mentioned somewhere and I overlooked it, but I discovered that if TIR was running, it messes with where the 'front' view is.

The first time I started DCS, the menu was perpendicular to my POV.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So, this is going to make me sound dumb.... I did not realize until recently that np5 will center your view while looking at the main menu prior to launching any mission. Makes alignment in the cockpit that much closer to being good with only minor adjustments. Posting just in case someone else is as dumb as me. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

So, this is going to make me sound dumb.... I did not realize until recently that np5 will center your view while looking at the main menu prior to launching any mission. Makes alignment in the cockpit that much closer to being good with only minor adjustments. Posting just in case someone else is as dumb as me. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it should be part of the brand name. "DCS World: numpad 5 centers view". :D

Or a warning notice in the first execution in VR mode saying: "I understand that numpad 5 centers view. Check this in orders to continue"

• Like 1

Turn on and off the tooltip flyouts when hovering your mouse cursor over a cockpit control element (TYVM Skatezilla):

Is there a way to increase the time until the tooltips pops up? Generally, I like the tips but they appear way too fast.

Edited by funkyfranky
typo

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Is there a way to increase the time until the tooltips pops up? Generally, I like the tips but they appear way too fast.

It would be good to be able to set the time it takes for the TT to appear and then vanish. Another way would be to use a second mouse button to open and close the TT to give active control over it if the user wanted. I doubt we'd get either, however.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare