BoxxMann's Tips - Adjust Seat/Eyepoint with VR

DerekSpeare

So while messing around in the settings, I changed the VR Pixel Density to 2.5, but now DCS still acts like it is in VR mode, I can see the mirror view tracking and what not, but nothing displays in the Rift :(

Anyone had this happen? Know how to fix it?

Also, how does the "VR Zoom" work? I mean I see the option to toggle it, but how does it actually work? If you turn it on how do you actually zoom?

Zooms kind of like the normal zoom. In when you push the stick, out when you let go. Wish it would be more of a snap view and be at instant zoom when you click it. It can be a bit strange since the FOV gets changed and you get a big FOV mismatch. Everything moves around when you move your head.

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

So while messing around in the settings, I changed the VR Pixel Density to 2.5, but now DCS still acts like it is in VR mode, I can see the mirror view tracking and what not, but nothing displays in the Rift :(

Anyone had this happen? Know how to fix it?

Also, how does the "VR Zoom" work? I mean I see the option to toggle it, but how does it actually work? If you turn it on how do you actually zoom?

Open file explorer, go to this pc, C: drive, user, your name, saved games, DCS whatever, config, open opsions.lua, with notepad ++, when open under vr you can change the pixel density to 1, and save. Or change the enable option to false and save, next time you run DCS it will start in monitor mode, then change the pixel density to a lower setting. Or you can just delete the opsions,lua file, next time you run DCS it will create a new file with default settings

or start it with dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

from the command line. Or use SkateZilla's GUI front end to do it (just google for it or use search here).

You assign the zoom function on controller setup and assign it to a hotas button or keyboard. When you press the assigned he, he slowly zooms up.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Greetings friends,

Sec 6: Enable RECENTERING and ZOOM for VR and bind it to a button/HOTAS:

• Options => Controls Tab => Left Dropdown (planes) => UI Layer => Recenter VR/ZOOM VR (bind to a button)

:pilotfly:

I am unable to assign anything to these commands. I double click with the mouse as usual but nothing happens. Any idea why this might be?

Thanks for all the info, btw, very helpful.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I am unable to assign anything to these commands. I double click with the mouse as usual but nothing happens. Any idea why this might be?

That is odd, are you in true full screen ( alt+enter)?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had that problem with previous update. I haven't tried it with the latest update yet.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

Does this actually work for VR? It always worked for me previously but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me now?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yup, I used it like a week ago. In A10 and the Spitfire.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Yup, I used it like a week ago. In A10 and the Spitfire.

Got it to work last night...the F15 HUD is still way too but with my head all the way back, but that's ED's problem and nothing I can do about it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Sec 4: Force VR on and OFF - thank you Alex O'Keefe:

dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

dcs.exe --force_disable_VR

You'd use those commands in two separate DCS shortcuts on your desktop.

:pilotfly:

I tried appending the above --force_enable_VR and --force_disable_VR to the target in my shortcuts. When I hit apply, I got a message rejecting them. I typed them in exactly as presented using the space between exe and --, and the capitalization. I'm unsure why it didn't work. I did notice that my shortcut was to dcsupdater.exe (it didn't work when appended to that) and that the executable in my DCS open alpha folder was run.exe, not DCS.exe.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I tried appending the above --force_enable_VR and --force_disable_VR to the target in my shortcuts. When I hit apply, I got a message rejecting them. I typed them in exactly as presented using the space between exe and --, and the capitalization. I'm unsure why it didn't work. I did notice that my shortcut was to dcsupdater.exe (it didn't work when appended to that) and that the executable in my DCS open alpha folder was run.exe, not DCS.exe.

Any thoughts?

The executable is in the bin folder - DCS.exe. It does not have a standard icon so does not stand out.

Alternatively you can use SkateZilla's excellent GUI utility to launch DCS with VR off as well, along with some other things.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The executable is in the bin folder - DCS.exe. It does not have a standard icon so does not stand out.

Alternatively you can use SkateZilla's excellent GUI utility to launch DCS with VR off as well, along with some other things.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Changed it to the DCS.exe and added the trigger. Still no joy.

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Changed it to the DCS.exe and added the trigger. Still no joy.

This works ok for me. Sorry to state the obvious but you do have the full path to the exe? I have (I expect your path will be different, and the quotes ARE required):

Target: "D:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

Start in: "D:\DCS World\bin"

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

This works ok for me. Sorry to state the obvious but you do have the full path to the exe? I have (I expect your path will be different, and the quotes ARE required):

Target: "D:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

Start in: "D:\DCS World\bin"

So the --force_disable_VR needs to be AFTER the quotation marks?

Sec 2: There may be those who do not know you can activate your frame rate counter as well. I find activating the frame rate counter really helps me in fine turning my graphical settings in order to keep frames high:

• RCTRL + Pause/Break = Activates your frame counter; doing it again gives more detailed information

This functions seems like it doesn`t work for me. I tried to change the key combo in settings as well but nothing happenes when i press the keys. Do I something wrong? Do I have to activate some kind of console first? Or is there any other way to check the FPS with oculus?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

This functions seems like it doesn`t work for me. I tried to change the key combo in settings as well but nothing happenes when i press the keys. Do I something wrong? Do I have to activate some kind of console first? Or is there any other way to check the FPS with oculus?

Working fine for me in the Rift. Except I normally do left control plus pause/break. Not sure it matters which ctrl key one uses.

Don B

Working fine for me in the Rift. Except I normally do left control plus pause/break. Not sure it matters which ctrl key one uses.

Ditto. Left CTRL+Pause. I use it every time I fly.

I think it matters, which CTRL you use.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

So the --force_disable_VR needs to be AFTER the quotation marks?

yes

Hmmm, RCTRL works for me w/o any issues. Maybe you remapped the pause key?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Hmmm, RCTRL works for me w/o any issues. Maybe you remapped the pause key?

I have a compact keyboard where the pause key can be activeted only together with an additional function key, so I remapped the fps function in DCS settings to an other key combination (I have tried a few of them) but it does not work for some reason (in 1.5.7)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

DCS 1.5.7 has a bug that won't let you assign a key or button by double-clicking in the cell. You have to left click on the cell, and then click on the ADD button at the bottom of the window. Perhaps it has other bugs as well. I do know that you can map the function to a controller button in the UI Layer of the Controls tab of the Options at the main screen. I have done that for "recenter VR," "VR Zoom," and "as escape" in the UI Layer controls.

Edited by Balzarog