BoxxMann's Tips - Adjust Seat/Eyepoint with VR

DerekSpeare

Well... still no success here. It is very odd. I assigned a controller button for the fps counter to see if makes a different, but it still doesn`t work. I will go for a workaround, using the Rift`s SDK software to show the ingame fps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

• 2 months later...
Greetings friends,

Sec 6: [/b]Enable RECENTERING and ZOOM for VR and bind it to a button/HOTAS:

Happy VR Flying!

:pilotfly:

This is the only option I've tried with my Oculus Rift/ Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, and it DOES NOT WORK, like so many things in this shit game. Every time I try to assign axis for thruster module slider to be my zoom, the game get more derp than usual, and all options disappear from the screen. I've tried doing it manually with "use the button I'm currently actuating", and it still does nothing (like usual).

I appreciate that you tried to give good advice sir ;)7

...but

IIRC, it's not an axis assignment. It needs to be a button. So maybe it's not a shit game after all?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
bump. Can we make it sticky?

GREAT idea! :thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 3 months later...
Zooms kind of like the normal zoom. In when you push the stick, out when you let go. Wish it would be more of a snap view and be at instant zoom when you click it. It can be a bit strange since the FOV gets changed and you get a big FOV mismatch. Everything moves around when you move your head.

Assign the zoom function to a button in the HOTAS or warthog that has a sliding feature to be able to manually control the zoom. Anyone know why in training mode moving throttle to idle position during startup doesn’t move at all to manual control?

Assign the zoom function to a button in the HOTAS or warthog that has a sliding feature to be able to manually control the zoom. Anyone know why in training mode moving throttle to idle position during startup doesn’t move at all to manual control?

Unfortunately most throttles can't be key mapped for this, I think you need a split throttle.

"RAlt - Home" Throttle (Left) - IDLE Throttle Quadrant

"RAlt - End" Throttle (Left) - OFF Throttle Quadrant

"9" Throttle (Left) - OFF/IDLE Throttle Quadrant

"RShift - Home" Throttle (Right) - IDLE Throttle Quadrant

"RShift - End" Throttle (Right) - OFF Throttle Quadrant

"0" Throttle (Right) - OFF/IDLE Throttle Quadrant

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone else is having this problem I found a solution.

Every time I saved my head position the way I wanted it, it wouldn't stay after restarting DCS.

I found you need to have "user Snap-View Saving" ticket in Options, Misc tab for it to work. Since I ticketed that option it has worked every time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Right-Alt + Keypad 0 saves your current head position.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

• 4 months later...

Hi guys !

Thanks OP for this excellent thread, good idea to have it pinned.

I've got a question : while experimenting with Oculus and DCS (vanilla version, not Steam) I noticed that the LeftCTL+KP7 and LeftCTL+KP8 did something : the oculus image froze, there was a sound like a device was disconnected, and the image moved again as if nothing happened (also the FPS changed).

Are these new shortcuts added to Oculus to complement the CTL+KP1/2/3/4 ?

What did it do ?

• Like 1

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 2 weeks later...
Right-Alt + Keypad 0 saves your current head position.

Question Friend,

Does this save between program launches? Or just the time you're in the sim and you save it?

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Saved as the default position for the active and future sessions in that aircraft.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

there 's a "user snapviews save" option in the ... well, options panel ;)

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 1 month later...
Hi guys !

Thanks OP for this excellent thread, good idea to have it pinned.

I've got a question : while experimenting with Oculus and DCS (vanilla version, not Steam) I noticed that the LeftCTL+KP7 and LeftCTL+KP8 did something : the oculus image froze, there was a sound like a device was disconnected, and the image moved again as if nothing happened (also the FPS changed).

Are these new shortcuts added to Oculus to complement the CTL+KP1/2/3/4 ?

What did it do ?

Answering my own question : the CTL+KP7 key makes the Rift available as a display (monitor) in Windows, while the CTL-KP8 key does the exact opposite.

• 1 year later...

This thread is a lifesaver!

Does anybody have the names for all of these commands and which command menu they sit in so we can look them up and rebind them? My keyboard doesn't have a number pad (or right hand modified keys)

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

On 4/15/2016 at 11:59 AM, DerekSpeare said:

Sec 1: Since a lot of new people to VR might not know this, there exists some useful functions in DCS to make getting your seat/eyepoint position properly configured when using a VR HMD. It's simple and here are the key commands:

• RCTRL + RSHFT + KP4,2,6,8 = Moves your eyepoint L,D,R,U respectively
  • RCTRL + RSHFT + KP*, KPMinus = Moves your eyepoint fore and aft
  • RALT + KP0 = Saves your current eyepoint position
  • KP5 Recenters your view (Bind to a joystick or button box button with Joy2Key or other remapper to make centering simple)

Actually can anyone verify that these still work for them? I borrowed a full layout keyboard (with a numpad) and got myself in serious trouble.

I can adjust the view U,D,L,R,Fore,Aft no problem...
RALT + KP0 - doesn't seem to do anything

Even worse, when I hit KP5, my view jumped down so my nose is at the controlstick's base. Now *that* position is the new default for my cockpit in every jet I spawn!

Any ideas?

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

4 hours ago, nobuttons said:

Actually can anyone verify that these still work for them? I borrowed a full layout keyboard (with a numpad) and got myself in serious trouble.

I can adjust the view U,D,L,R,Fore,Aft no problem...
RALT + KP0 - doesn't seem to do anything

Even worse, when I hit KP5, my view jumped down so my nose is at the controlstick's base. Now *that* position is the new default for my cockpit in every jet I spawn!

Any ideas?

Been a bit since I tried, but I never had any luck with those.

So I just use my assigned VR-Recenter when I first get in the cockpit, and adjust my head position before hitting VR-Renter to get the outcome to be about where I want it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

The eyepoint control keys I indicate at Sec 1 are still functional if anyone is still wondering about them.   If you're in VR it's essential to have your eyepoint set properly in the cockpit so that the views are not all wonky and strange. 

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare