What's this Plane?

One of our Squad (159th GAR) was on Google Earth recently, and was looking at Krasnodar AB.

He ID'd plenty of Russian AC there, but thought one type was probably a C-130.

Some of us thought that this was unlikely being a US AC (though not impossible), and other types were put forth.

An-12 was dismissed as the wing doesn't look right, as was P3 orion (same reason as C-130) but a few went for the Il 18/20/38 series planes. Looks like a low wing type, to me.

Mysteryac.jpg

What does the panel think?:book:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

Looks like an Il-18 to me ... the tail stinger is too short for a 38, and it lacks the side-mounted boxes that the 20 sports.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Guest IguanaKing

Well...I was going to say An-12 also, but that aircraft is definitely mid-wing, single tail, and it doesn't have a rear-ward sweep to its leading edges. I think GG nailed it. :D

Guest IguanaKing

The #1 engine, you can just barely make out the shadows of the nacelle all the way to the trailing edge. :) Wow...it really DOES look a lot like a Lockheed Electra (P-3), doesn't it?

Guest IguanaKing

Cool! I used to watch SR-71s on their downwind leg to Plant 42. I saw the first flight of the B-2 there also. Also, a brand spankin' new B-1B about every three weeks. Yikes!!! Talk about airplane noise. :D

I used to see B-1s all the time in both Dyess and in Las Vegas, whenever I would just take trips. I cant remember how many air force bases Ive been on...March, Hill, Dyess, Carswell, JRB, Randolph, dont know if Balboa counts as one but it was an air museum, as well as San Diego bay. Ive done too much traveling lately.