Need help choosing the right DCS Module

Pelican

After 300+ hours on the Mig- 21Bis I am looking forward to fly a subsonic jet aircraft with a full fidelity cockpit. Which module should I go for among the ones that fit the description such as the L-39, C-101, Hawk, Mig-15, A-10C etc?

I am also looking forward to buy a rotor-craft module and I will be glad if anyone could help me choose between the Ka-50, Mi-8 or the Huey.

I am also willing to wait till mid June if you are aware of any modules that might be released by then.

What matters to me most is detailed simulation realism, particularly the effect of aerodynamic forces on the aircraft.

Edited by Pelican
Just wanted to add the "?" icon

------------------Pelican------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

an important question would be what do you want to get out of the aircraft. Do you want mostly thottle and stick flying, like the MiG-21? Or would you not mind something a bit more technological advanced? It's important because aircraft like the A-10 and Ka-50 are heavily computerized.

Check my F-15C guide

Thanks for getting back to me :) I am a bit more oriented towards the traditional throttle and stick flying as compared to the heavily computerized aircrafts such as the A-10C.

Although I only have flown the A-10 in LOMAC-2, it felt like the controls were being assisted (especially the pitch and roll movements) by a fly by wire system.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What matters to me most is detailed simulation realism, particularly the effect of aerodynamic forces on the aircraft.

That together with throttle&stick mandates that you buy the Huey right now! :)

You'll be trimming your arse off, and you'll almost feel aerodynamic forces.

On the other hand, the Mi-8 isn't much different, and has a bit more complex systems (and a very very basic auto-pilot, which can be useful at times).

Complex is maybe not the right word... lots of knobs, switches and rotaries, but still very basic tech. ;-)

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

Thanks for getting back to me :) I am a bit more oriented towards the traditional throttle and stick flying as compared to the heavily computerized aircrafts such as the A-10C.

Although I only have flown the A-10 in LOMAC-2, it felt like the controls were being assisted (especially the pitch and roll movements) by a fly by wire system.

That's true. It has a SAS system. A stability augmentation system. I'll guess we'll drop out the hog and the Ka-50 for now. The Ka-50 has autopilot channels that does similair things.

I totally agree with the Huey statement. It's a lot of throttle, stick and pedal work to fly! Very cool and rewarding though. There's zero assistance, the only thing you can do is ask the AI co-pilot to take the stick so you can gun your enemies down :) The ai can only fly level or in circles depending on what you ask him to do. the AI's can also work the guns ofcourse.

The correct term for the Mi-8 hip is "switchology". Like in the Fishbed there's a lot of things to press.

I'd find it hard to recommend an non-afterburning jet to you. I would recommend the afterburning mirage but that's not what you're after, and while totally not the same, the mirage resembles the fishbed playstyle the most (not to mention that the mirage 2000 has an FBW computer). From the Korean era jets I own the F86. It's a brilliantly modelled aircraft. It has some radar/gyro controlled gunsight wich is very cool. But there are not many missions, no campaign (there's an upcoming paycampaign) and not that much MP action. Only the MiG-15 and Tu-95 are historically accurate targets in DCS. I also have the hawk t.1a, good stuff but it's going through some big updating right now with new flight model and everything and you might want to wait out how it all ends up being. The last thing I had in mind was the Su-25A. I don't know if you own FC3. And I know you wanted a fully clickable pit but the flightmodel has received a lot of love since FC2. It's faster and more agile than the computerized Su-25T. It still has some precision munitions wich are fun to use as you must steer the laser rangefinder/designator yourself. For "throttle&stick" mud moving the Su-25A is my go-to plane for sheer flying fun.

In the near future. hopefully well before the mid of June, we'll have the SA342M Gazelle anti-tank helicopter. From the video's and streams it's looking to mount up to be a sweet module. Here's a link to one of the streams ( starting just before combat but you can restart it and watch from the beginning to see how to start it etc)

Check my F-15C guide

I totally love the Ka-50 and the A-10C, but from what you describe, I'd also recommend the Huey for the pure sensation of seat-of-the-pants flying. Going from keeping the chopper roughly within a postal code and not upside down, to hovering over an area just large enough to touch down, that takes a lot pf practice and muscle memory, but is incredibly rewarding.

The same could be said about the Mi-8, but I just can't pull myself away from the Huey, a great module indeed. :thumbup:

For subsonic jets, I think F-86 is a good one to have. Fun yet somewhat quirky to fly, and allows a pretty decent ground attack armament too.

Hawk is getting there too. Hopefuly very soon it will be as complete as any.

C-101 I would not recommend for now.

L-39 and MiG-15 look good but can't comment as I don't have them.

As for the helos, all 3 are nice but Kamov's autopilot modes somehow make it less fun to fly for me. Huey and Hip are both very fun to fly. Soon to arrive Gazelle may also be nice for you.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

For sure that would be the L-39 and Mi-8 for heli's, I have all modules and these are the best. The L-39 have the BEST external+pilot+cockpit textures. Also very realistic flying and you can have another dude in the backseat online or when you flying in formation someone in the backseat can record a vid. The Mig-15 is awesome too but you already got the Mig-21. The Mi-8 it's the closest flying module to reality very realistic flying. Good luck ;)

As for the helos, all 3 are nice but Kamov's autopilot modes somehow make it less fun to fly for me.
I hear this a lot but I kind of disagree. Mastering the 4 trim channels so they work in harmony is a challenge in itself. Not like just clicking a switch and the thing flies itself.

Thank you all for your responses my fellow aviators :) It has certainly helped me narrow down my choices. If I may ask a little more of you fine people........could you please advice me on choosing an affordable flying stick, preferably that costs below $100.

I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for the past 5 years and it has been an absolute delight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

The L-39 or MiG-15 will both make you happy. It's hard to say which is better. For choppers, the Huey or the Mi-8. Either one will please you.

A new stick? Under a hundred, I have had very good luck with the Thrustmaster T.Flight joystick (not the T.Flight HOTAS) which I use with a CH throttle quadrant and pedals. It works fine with the CH gear and it's cheap. I've had mine for years and it still works great.

For just over a hundred it's hard to beat the CH Fighterstick. They're tough as nails, last forever, and work very well. If you add them to the CH throttle quadrant and CH pedals, you can program the whole package as one controller through the CH software and everything works great.

Amazon has all that stuff.

Oubaas :thumbup: