Can't see russian radar contacts

Looking for all F-15 veterans out there. On the first mission where you fly cap for incoming US flights, i was practicing with my radar to kill time. Problem was, those russian flights never showed up on my radar, even tho i had it set to the correct altitude and range.

They were around 50 miles away from me flying at angels 25, but with my radar set to 80 miles and my elevation at 0-41000 I did not see them.

Dis I do something wrong or forget something?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

They flew underneath your radar cone. They appear about 5 to 10 miles east of the FEBA at 2000ft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Think of the radar coming out of your nose as a cone - the tip of the cone is at your nose and the widest part of the cone is the furthest from you. In your case, at 80 miles from your plane, the radar cone scans 0-41,000 ft. As you get closer to your plane, the scan narrows. It is probable that at whatever range they were flying from you, they were just under the radar cone. Try flying it again and move the radar down to see if they show up. Hope that helps!

Can't see russian radar contacts

Ah I understand, stupid that I didn't think of that. Thanks for the explanation! Ill try it again tonight.

I've also found that I am able to see the 2 cap flights at 50nm when scanning in hi prf setting. They dont show up in med-hi since they are flying head on at fairly long distance. Just this one mission taught me more about radar operation than the entire manual did haha.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk