Gazelle Versus BMP

Nerdwing

Hello :) How is the Gazelle faring versus BMP2 and 3's, namely their ATGM's? I imagine they're going to be one of the biggest threats in most missions I fly with friends in MP. Since I am waiting for the 1.53 release, I was wondering if anyone has gathered any experience yet against them.

Is their situational-awareness enough to get the first shot on your Gazelle routinely? Or does firing and displacing until their AI "resets" work?

I imagine the Tunguska etc will be above our pay-grade so to speak, so what other threats do you folks find are going to be a concern? Seems we can outrange the 14.5mm handily, and I imagine the 23mm Shilka if we play smart.

They like to miss, at least with average AI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

There's tactics for more powerfull enemies. Does the AI look through trees? If so, the Tunguska might be a problem. I think staying hidden is the key to survival in the Gazelle. It hasn't got that many flares either. In theory it is possible to shoot heli's with ATGM. But does the AI know that?

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Ok they actually do hit if you pop up too high above the tree line. I also managed to take out an SA-15 by hiding behind a ridgeline with trees on it. When it fired I simply broke lock by dropping below line of sight, for the kill I went into auto hover with the camera just above tree line and fired the missile in between two trees.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

In the campaign you'll see several examples of this, but essentially stay low, sneak up on target, and kill it. The one thing you have to watch out for is trees. They can do some damage to your chopper.

What I like to do is get into a hiding position and activate auto-hover. I turn off the collective mode © and do it myself. This way I can get really low so just the vividian system can see the target. Then I pop up...shoot...stay on target...kill it, and hide. Rinse and repeat.

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

In theory it is possible to shoot heli's with ATGM. But does the AI know that?

Yes, AI units will fire ATGM at helicopters. They usually miss, especially if you have a little bit of sideslip - not easy to guide against an airborne target.

Tanks used to fire their main guns at helicopters too, haven't observed it recently but may just not have had any units get close enough and not be maneuvering for long to get tagged.

Yesterday a T-55 destroyed my Gazelle with its main gun at about 4km. So it can still happen...

And in real life T-55 FCS is crap so i still find weird that Tank's and Apcs are more dangerous in dcs than sam's

Maybe some day AI will get more love for their aiming

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]