Setting up a multiplayer server

Mike Busutil

Ok so there are 459,097,126,566 threads and links about this topic already BUT, I have not found one that has helped me...

I want to open a new multiplayer server online but have been unsuccessful.

So far I have went into my firewall settings on my computer and set a new port rule for the inbound rules. I did so for both TCP and UDP.

The specific ports I set was 10308 (Per DCS) and selected "Allow the connection".

I then went into my router (192.168.0.1) and found virtual server / port forwarding where I set it as follows.

msTgErl.png

Doing an "IPCONFIG" check with the CMD prompt shows my IPV4 address as 192.168.0.8

And I also setup the port trigger for 10308.

yxvFp3h.png

​From what I understand that is all that is required but I am still seeing closed ports when I check online or try to run an online server.

Do you see any steps I missed? Does it matter if it's setup using LAN or WiFi?

When I start a server it shows my public IP as 24.30.177.18:10308

I am also using Kaspersky antivirus and have tried turing off it's firewall and my default computer firewall but still no luck.

Thanks for any help. :book:

What I did to get this working on 2.02 this week was exactly what you did only i did a router reboot from the router software and restarted my pc, i noticed that i indeed did have a new ip address so all i did was change the last number and it works fine.

Thanks.

When I disable the dynamic IP and set it as static it will not allow me to connect online and asks me to correct it.

A reboot of the router and PC did not change anything for me.

Not sure why this has to be so hard.

Thanks.

When I disable the dynamic IP and set it as static it will not allow me to connect online and asks me to correct it.

A reboot of the router and PC did not change anything for me.

Not sure why this has to be so hard.

When you set your static IP you're also setting a default gateway? Which would normally be the IP address of your router; 192.168.0.1 or something close to that.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Just a general note. The static ipadress is for your pc adapter (in your pc) not your router, so if you forward from your router it consitently finds 192.168.0.8 as your server pc. The default gateway and dns of the pc adapter can be your router adress.

Some question that matter. Is the arris a modem-router? or do you have another router behind your modem-router? do you have some network managing software on your pc?

To debug you temporarily could set your local ipadress in the DMZ of the modem to see if it works(maybe the router behind it or the software on your pc blocks data)

?

Ok so there are 459,097,126,566 threads and links about this topic already BUT, I have not found one that has helped me...

I want to open a new multiplayer server online but have been unsuccessful.

So far I have went into my firewall settings on my computer and set a new port rule for the inbound rules. I did so for both TCP and UDP.

The specific ports I set was 10308 (Per DCS) and selected "Allow the connection".

I then went into my router (192.168.0.1) and found virtual server / port forwarding where I set it as follows.

Doing an "IPCONFIG" check with the CMD prompt shows my IPV4 address as 192.168.0.8

And I also setup the port trigger for 10308.

​From what I understand that is all that is required but I am still seeing closed ports when I check online or try to run an online server.

Do you see any steps I missed? Does it matter if it's setup using LAN or WiFi?

When I start a server it shows my public IP as 24.30.177.18:10308

I am also using Kaspersky antivirus and have tried turing off it's firewall and my default computer firewall but still no luck.

Thanks for any help. :book:

Really looks like you have done all the right things so far.

I have used the following website before to get port forwarding information, and their port check is excellent.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Arris/

I have never had a problem with the server not working with at least 3 different modem routers since blackshark 1 to DCS 1.5x using only the 10308 port on UCP/TCP.

I have never found it necessary to use port triggering either.

I would be suspecting your anti-virus / firewall, In the past I have seen third party firewalls block ports even when supposedly turned off / disabled. So either uninstall the Kaspersky firewall or enable it and put in the correct allow port statements for DCS.

Previously on this topic

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2272049&postcount=13

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

More of a brain dump of what works for me:

I find when running our GHOST servers I have to use the local ip address of the server not my public ip when i want to join the game.

Also you need to use port forwarding in conjunction with opening the firewall port 10308, this tells the router when I receive traffic on port 1038 forward this to local machine on port x.

If you want to have static or consistent ip's do it from the router. When/if you wipe the machine it's another thing to think of, check the DNS section of your router.

If your still having problems let me know.

Win10 | Intel Core i7 5820K | Asus X99-A | 32Gb Ram @ 2666MHz | 6GB EVGA GTX 980Ti | 256Gb M2 drive | 1TB Sata | X52 Pro | 50" Samsung@4k

I called my internet provider and asked them if it's possible they are blocking my port 10308. We went through my router settings and confirmed port forwarding was setup properly.

They told me they were able to see port 10308 is open.

But when I check online here http://www.canyouseeme.org/ I get an error saying it does not see my open port.

As far as I can tell when I start an online server no one else can see it...

I disabled my microsoft firewall and Kaspersky all together but still nothing.

Does it make a difference if I am connected via wifi or ethernet connection?

Thanks again for any help.

Edited by Mike Busutil

Does it make a difference if I am connected via wifi or ethernet connection?

Yes, it does. I never connect via Wifi, its very unreliable for any type of multiplayer except Clash of Clans maybe :lol:

Edited by Kunz

Try adding your computer to the routers DMZ and see if it works.

If it works it will narrow down your troubleshooting.

Also, is your Router part of the ISP's Modem or does your ISP's Modem connect to your Router?

Edited by Kayos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, it does. I never connect via Wifi, its very unreliable for any type of multiplayer except Clash of Clans maybe :lol:

Thanks.

I first tried WiFi but also connected to a Cat6 Ethernet cable which changed my IP from (192.168.0.8 to 192.168.0.7) Still no good...

Edited by Mike Busutil

Try adding your computer to the routers DMZ and see if it works.

If it works it will narrow down your troubleshooting.

Tried this, no change. lol

Also, is your Router part of the ISP's Modem or does your ISP's Modem connect to your Router?

It's one unit so I believe it's a 16 channel Modem/Router.

Double check your internal IP (192.168.x.y) the last digit could change frequently especially if more then one terminal is using the same router then portforward that very IP on both TCP and UDP.

Don't worry about your external IP in this case only internal IP matters for portforwarding.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Double check your internal IP (192.168.x.y) the last digit could change frequently especially if more then one terminal is using the same router then portforward that very IP on both TCP and UDP.

Don't worry about your external IP in this case only internal IP matters for portforwarding.

Thank you,

I did notice it changed when I connected to the CAT6 Ethernet. I went back into my router and made the correction to the new IP but still no luck.

Something is going on, I feel like it may be my Kaspersky antivirus...

some routers require you to make changes in the firewall setting itself.. just try to turn the firewall off on the router...

If u think that you still have some program blocking the connection you could try to paping/nmap from another pc.

[100☭] holimoli #13, 100-й КИАП

What model router is it?

Do you have your Windows Firewall turned on?

Try disabling your Windows Firewall and your Antivirus software.

Arris tg1672g.

Yes I do.

I have turned them both off with no change.

Ok,

Delete the Port Triggering, you shouldn't need that. Make sure the routers firewall is turned on.

Make sure your Windows Firewall and antivirus is turned off.

The port forwarding looks good. (make sure you change it to your current IP)

Add a dhcp reservation for you computer so it always gets the same IP address.

It should be under LAN Setup, Client List on your router.

You will see a list of clients. Click add under Reserved IP Client List and add your computer.

You can get the IP and mac address from the attached client list below the add button.

Start DCS and create a Server. (You HAVE to have the game server running at the same time.) (just tested)

Then try canyouseeme again. Make sure you are using your external IP address and port 10308.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

or

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Also you may as well verify your external IP address here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Edited by Kayos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Delete the Port Triggering, you shouldn't need that.

Complete.

GTGbaQK.png

Make sure the routers firewall is turned on.

Complete.

aIAZmr7.png

Make sure your Windows Firewall and antivirus is turned off.

Complete

O5J0s37.png

bYcm3Nm.png

The port forwarding looks good. (make sure you change it to your current IP)

Complete, Since connecting to the Cat6 Ethernet the IP changed. I removed the old one and updated it to the current.

9Lop6Rb.png

Add a dhcp reservation for you computer so it always gets the same IP address.

Complete

YkoTQy7.png

Start DCS and create a Server. (You HAVE to have the game server running at the same time.) (just tested)

Complete (and good to know!) From here I started the server and went into the game.

nm44b2P.png

Then try canyouseeme again. Make sure you are using your external IP address and port 10308.

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

or

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Complete. still failing on both sites...

wHdXp5F.png

XiGClkO.png

Also you may as well verify your external IP address here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Complete.

TibGPxH.png

Edited by Mike Busutil

Maybe try disabling Kaperesky completely when you run the test.

I have tried previously but I'll try again.

It looks like you are getting an IP v6 address.

Can you turn off IP v6?

I am not 100% sure how to but I'll take a look.

Thank you for the help so far :thumbup: