BBJ Sim USB rotary button panel

I bought one of the USB rotary panels from BBJ Sim and I am very pleased with the result. It costs £70. It has 12 push buttons and 6 rotary dials. It installed immediately on plugging into my Windows 7 PC and DCS recognised it as a controller in the controls set up panel. I am using my mine as a radio controller, the dials can change frequency, buttons to load, switch functions and switch presets.

The only glitch I had was my plane spiralled out of control the first time I ran DCS with the panel attached and I discovered this was because DCS had automatically assigned various flight controls to the panel box by default including some axis. Once I deleted those the box works perfectly with my A10C. Very pleased.

Here is a photo of the panel box next to the Thustmaster throttle so you can see its relative size and how well it matches the Thrustmaster kit.

The BBJ Sim website is here:

http://bbjsimracing.com

IMG_6094.thumb.jpg.64e241a32d473e4ac92e2d42c1b1d930.jpg

Another small problem. The rotary dials can be depressed as another button click but CDS does not seem to recognise them. I consider it a minor problem, means 6 less button clicks but that still leaves 12 buttons and six rotaries all working.

The rotary dials can be depressed as another button click but CDS does not seem to recognise them.

How they are show in Game Controllers (joy.cpl)?

Because if are correct there the issue is with DCS and at least you can use then through a keymapper (Joy2Key, Xpadder, SVMapper....)

Edited by Sokol1_br

The push buttons on the rotaries probably aren't hooked up if they don't register in DCS.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

The panel appears as 'BU8036X' in the Windows devices control panel and in the DCS control options panel so I guess that answers the question about the hardware.

The click action on the rotary dials doesn't register in the Windows control panel and I remember in one of the BBJ Sim videos the maker saying he was having problems with the click action on the rotaries and was thinking of disabling them - so I guess he did.

Eveb with the click action on rotaries diabled this is still a really useful panel, especially for something like the radio stack that has a lot of dial in values. It feels well made, its not too pricey, the black version blends in with a home pit nicely, and its was super simple to set up. All in all I am very pleased and may buy one of the all button versions to compliment the one I have.

The core of this is a Leo Bodnar board, and I guess its configured for 12 buttons. (can be configured for 32, but they need additional circuitry.). If you wanted to mod it, you could get 2 additional rotary channels from it. The analogue channels are are nice with 4096 resolution.

I bought one of these boards to play with, if i had seen this link, i would have bought one of the BBJ boxes instead. Looking forward to additional products from their line up. Would be nice to see them doing stuff for the FS community

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

An awesome solution. I however find great joy in building my own button boxes. The price is not too bad. But I wonder, what kind of USB device do they use? Is it arduino? Or some BU8036X like board?

Hey JaVA,

I have one of the leo bodnar boards, and some components. Would be interested n picking your brain, on the box building, where to get boxes, switches and bread boards etc. ??

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

[sIGPIC]I13700k, RTX4090, 64gb ram @ 3600, superUltraWide 5120x1440, 2560x1440, 1920x1080, Warthog, Tusba TQS, Reverb VR1000, Pico 4, Wifi6 router, 360/36 internet[/sIGPIC]

You don't have to make your own boards. You can grab Leo Bodnar's boards, you can go with WP-GIZ40 boards for example. Then it's a matter of hooking them up to Dual Throw Single Pole (three positions) or Single Throw Single Pole (on/off) switches. As for the box, you can buy some acrylic and start making your own. Be careful though...it'll suck you in! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The core of this is a Leo Bodnar board, and I guess its configured for 12 buttons. (can be configured for 32, but they need additional circuitry.)

No additional circuitry is need for use these non used buttons of Bu0836X in this button box,

just wires and more push buttons or toggle switches.

From BU0836X total of 32 are used 24:

12 in push button switches and 12 in rotary encoder - each use 2 buttons position.

So can be wired more 8 buttons - an more 4 buttons in the positions reserved for HAT (just 4 switches) = 12.

And up to 8 analog axis.

All this "PnP", no configuration is need. ;)

I emailed the guy who makes the BBJ Sim panels and explained a little about the needs of flight simmers in relation to the future development his switch panels and got this interesting reply:

"Hi Tony,

I am pleased you are happy with your button box an I am always happy to receive exposure in relevant enthusiasts forums. To answer your questions in no particular order firstly I moved the push switches from the rotary encoders to individual switches because in racing situations it was to easy to press the switch while trying to adjust the encoder and vice-versa. I can see this would be less of an issue in a flight simulator and if I make a flight sim specific version of this box in the future I might well reincorporate them. The main issue I have in producing specific products for flight simulators is toggle switches, flight simulators need latching toggle switches and lots of them! My best solution so far is to make individual capacitor discharge circuits for each switch which work great but take around 20 minutes per switch to construct thus adding significantly to the cost compared to a similar box designed for racing where I can get away with using momentary toggles as on the whole car racers don't need the visual reference of the position of the switch relative to the sim. The alternative would be to use some sort of commercial pulse generator to give the required on/off signal but any I have found have been way too expensive to be viable. I am in the process of incorporating a couple of capacitor discharge switches into my new 'pro' range of car based boxes and if that goes well I will design the same into some flight sim specific products. Everything else I have sorted, encoders, potentiometers etc. So when I finally resolve the latching toggle issue I feel I am going to be able to produce some great products aimed at the flight sim community. In terms of time I guess we are looking at 3 to 6 months but I am not going to release anything until I get this right. Many other manufactures have the same issue and just ignore the fact that their toggles only work 1 way or if you flick them too fast don't work at all. Sorry for the long rambling email and I wish you all the best in your gaming/simming in the future.

Regards,

John."

Hi,

I spent 3 days building a modular arduino micro button box (with 4 23017 to expand I/O capabilities).

PHOTO

It works like a charm, toggle switch is very useful in module like Gazelle, 6 pots are atm more than I need (I use an x55 so I have another 4 pots) and leds on all switches helps to understand on/off state of controls.

I'm starting a collaboration with a 3D printing expert to design a nice looking box large enough to include 6 pots, 16 momentary, 16 toggle and 32 leds.

I hope to show you a prototype in a couple of months or at worst before the summer period.

Stay tuned :D

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

Do you guys think that these boards will eventually become obsolete as VR becomes more prevalent? I've considered buying a similar box, but it won't be of much use if I get a VR device.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Do you guys think that these boards will eventually become obsolete as VR becomes more prevalent? I've considered buying a similar box, but it won't be of much use if I get a VR device.

I can't use vr without something my fingers can recognize. :)

An Usb Box is easy to touch and easy to find with a visor.

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

No additional circuitry is need for use these non used buttons of Bu0836X in this button box,

just wires and more push buttons or toggle switches.

From BU0836X total of 32 are used 24:

12 in push button switches and 12 in rotary encoder - each use 2 buttons position.

So can be wired more 8 buttons - an more 4 buttons in the positions reserved for HAT (just 4 switches) = 12.

And up to 8 analog axis.

All this "PnP", no configuration is need. ;)

I believe that if you need to have several switches 'toggled on' at the same time, using the 32 digital inputs arrangement, you need to put diodes in series with the switches.

The 8 analog inputs are completely separate to the digital ones. And the board is tiny.

This configuration would do very nicely to create a UFC panel.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204

Edited by Fish

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

Fish,

Apple and oranges. :D

BU0836X use Shift Register mc to handle buttons - is the extra chips that you see in middle of their PCB.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/images/4BU0836X.jpg

So is just mater to plug wires in "snap in" connectors - no solder required in this side for connect up to 36 buttons (using HAT 4 positions).*

For convenience are 2 plugs for each button, but to save wire the GND can be shared with all connected buttons.

The (L.Bodnar) board that need diode matrix is BU0836A that dont have the Shift Register mc in PCB (is smaller).

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/images/2BU0836A.jpg

IMO - For DIY the BU0836X convenience - no use diodes - dont worth their almost double price, you spare solder in connector for board side, but as need do solder in buttons pins and diodes can be put there use then represent do one solder more.

* In HAT 4 position can be connected up 8 buttons, but there will be need use diodes for manage the diagonal positions - that is 2 buttons pressed at same time.

In most cases the complication dont worth the extra buttons.

So, if OP want use more or total functions of BU0836X inside this button box is a easy thing do do. :thumbup:

Edited by Sokol1_br

I emailed the guy who makes the BBJ Sim panels and explained a little about the needs of flight simmers in relation to the future development his switch panels and got this interesting reply:

"Hi Tony,

I am pleased you are happy with your button box an I am always happy to receive exposure in relevant enthusiasts forums. To answer your questions in no particular order firstly I moved the push switches from the rotary encoders to individual switches because in racing situations it was to easy to press the switch while trying to adjust the encoder and vice-versa. I can see this would be less of an issue in a flight simulator and if I make a flight sim specific version of this box in the future I might well reincorporate them. The main issue I have in producing specific products for flight simulators is toggle switches, flight simulators need latching toggle switches and lots of them! My best solution so far is to make individual capacitor discharge circuits for each switch which work great but take around 20 minutes per switch to construct thus adding significantly to the cost compared to a similar box designed for racing where I can get away with using momentary toggles as on the whole car racers don't need the visual reference of the position of the switch relative to the sim. The alternative would be to use some sort of commercial pulse generator to give the required on/off signal but any I have found have been way too expensive to be viable. I am in the process of incorporating a couple of capacitor discharge switches into my new 'pro' range of car based boxes and if that goes well I will design the same into some flight sim specific products. Everything else I have sorted, encoders, potentiometers etc. So when I finally resolve the latching toggle issue I feel I am going to be able to produce some great products aimed at the flight sim community. In terms of time I guess we are looking at 3 to 6 months but I am not going to release anything until I get this right. Many other manufactures have the same issue and just ignore the fact that their toggles only work 1 way or if you flick them too fast don't work at all. Sorry for the long rambling email and I wish you all the best in your gaming/simming in the future.

Regards,

John."

DCS uses momentaries, so he doesn't have to do all the work. Aircrafts like A10 can maintain state so there's no issues with physical switches getting out of sync with in-game switches.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The question is the hardware manufacturer need make board compatible with various "flight games" - although DCS can handle well the ON/OFF toggle switches, other will see command only in ON position.

Then if not used a hardware solution - capacitors, optocouplers... is need use keymapper.

DSD button box recommend use SVMapper, Joy2Key.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/2015-flight---flt1.html

Fish,

Apple and oranges. :D

BU0836X .......... BU0836A that dont have the Shift Register mc in PCB.................... :thumbup:

Thanks for that clarification. I thought only difference was the connectors. Clearly more. I got the board to play with, no real project yet. yeah to use diodes etc very messy. X was too much to spend on, but didn't see the difference in the product spec.

Fish's Flight Sim Videos

I hear you, but I don't care about those other games! :)

But yes, I admit to being myopic about this.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well, because this guy - that make the button box - don't make the firmware's, that in case of BU0836's is locked.

But as example with Arduino+MMJoy2 joystick firmware can be used "toggle switches!" in this case each position will press a different joystick button, similar to use DPDT switch, not the best solution.

As I said before this guys dont want make board specif for this or that game*, to avoid a lot of work with support they use the more simple and "PnP" solution, a device that use Windows HID drivers and don't require additional software/hardware. L.Bodnar say (~2008 ) that is the philosophy behind the BU0836's.

* Ex. Opencockpits boards - primarily for FSX.

Of course a coder can make "magic" with firmware, but generally they dont make and sold "button box". :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hey JaVA,

I have one of the leo bodnar boards, and some components. Would be interested n picking your brain, on the box building, where to get boxes, switches and bread boards etc. ??

Well... I made my buttong box look like the MiG-21 ASP gunsight and weapon control panel. :music_whistling:

P1010252_zpsjooiy9vn.jpg

The weapon selector is a 12 position switch. It doesn't turn 360 degrees, but it works like a charm and it looks nice!

20150423_141015_zpswa0hse2j.jpg

And I also made a radar control panel. MiG-21 drivers will recognize this instantly.

20150506_213218_zpsqx51sre6.jpg

The tape-wrapping is done on purpose. All these wires are connected. By bundling them this way, the panel got a nice russian style military look.

IMG-20150503-WA0008_zpshrfcljh1.jpeg

I also got this ancient piece of hardware hooked up to my Leo Bodnar board. Originaly, it had gameport connection. But now through the BU8036X, it is USB. I modified the springsystem and made toebrakes.

DSCF1650_zps607c1a6b.jpg

DSCF1663_zps85353bd2.jpg

DSCF1659_zps9f041fe3.jpg

DSCF1658_zpsd982af51.jpg

Now they are awesome generic pedals. Super functional for choppers and such. But usable as a rudder control for all aircraft.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly: