Flight Model feedback from ATAL

Mt5_Roie

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys I just had my friend who is an RL army gazelle pilot on the phone, the "light on skids" state is obtainable and the forward slide must not happend as in reality it is easily countered.

Very interesting, thanks for letting us know.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Hi Shugart, thanks for that.

Any word on how RL pilots turn with the Gazelle?

Cheers,

That sir, is far more difficult to describe over the phone. No worries to have, i'll visit him next week and get him to try the Gazelle. I'll submit him all the matters I've read in the forums so far and record the whole.

What are you struggling with? Post a track and maybe we can help.

Sounds like trouble with coordinated turns. If you're just using the stick it's not going to turn very well. Need to use some pedal too, and it appears you need more pedal than the slip ball indicates.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Sounds like trouble with coordinated turns. If you're just using the stick it's not going to turn very well. Need to use some pedal too, and it appears you need more pedal than the slip ball indicates.

Ah, co-ordinated turns. Best use the string at the moment, the ball is bugged.

Ok guys I just had my friend who is an RL army gazelle pilot on the phone, the "light on skids" state is obtainable and the forward slide must not happend as in reality it is easily countered.

Good info! Now someone needs to find the root cause, and fix it... :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I'm glad to see the RL Gazelle pilot are involved and will test the FM. This should help clarify some of the issues that are keeping this from being the best that it can be. As far as coordinated turns and using pedals while making those turns, I can say that when flying the UH-1, very little to no pedal are required when making turns.

I flew fixed wing aircraft before becoming a helicopter pilot and that was one of the things that I had to break myself of...using pedals like you do in a coordinated turn with a fixed wing. I've never flown a Gazelle, so I would love to hear a RL pilot say that pedal “is” required in a turn...otherwise, I would defer to my past RL helicopter training and say that pedals should be used very sparingly when making turns. Like some of the other pilots on here have stated, keep the trim ball centered while in straight and level and maintain that trim during the turn (which should require little to no pedal input). I realize, that the current FM requires pedal input to make the turn, but if the Gazelle is anything like other helicopters that I have flown (i.e. UH-1H, UH-60A, AH-1, TH-55 and OH-58D...non of these required the amount of pedal input that the Gazelle FM requires), little to no pedal input should be required to make turns.

The Gazelle FM requires pedal input like a fixed wing aircraft but seems to have an erratic component to it that swings the nose around in an un-natural way, which in my opinion, is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Edited by flyer49
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry