Announcement - new A-10C DLC training campaign

Great mission guys! The only thing I thought was confusing was the departure. The first WP doesnt seem to go straight out and instead I just cycled it to the Truck Stop waypoint to head out toward Mopa? Anyway came back no other problems from there! Can't wait for this!

Great mission guys! The only thing I thought was confusing was the departure. The first WP doesnt seem to go straight out and instead I just cycled it to the Truck Stop waypoint to head out toward Mopa? Anyway came back no other problems from there! Can't wait for this!
The instructor tells you to fly runway heading and climb to 5000 feet. Eventually the instructor will catch up with you. But for the most part there is only one direction to go :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The instructor tells you to fly runway heading and climb to 5000 feet. Eventually the instructor will catch up with you. But for the most part there is only one direction to go :)

Yup, I had known that I just figured that the WP would also sync with the departure even though it's a straight out.

:)

During the startup, you are instructed to setup the IFF panel. What does Code Alpha mean? On a separate note, I use Loz's Helios profile and I cannot change the Mode 3/A wheels inside Helios, but have to do it in the cockpit. Is that normal or does Helios work?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

The IFF is not simulated but we thought it would be cool to still introduce it plus squawk code is part of Clearance Delivery, which will be an integral part of each mission. As for the exact meaning of Alpha, we'll have to wait for Doughboy to comment. And can't answer the Q on Helios - never used it, I do almost everything in the pit by clicking the mouse :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

During the startup, you are instructed to setup the IFF panel. What does Code Alpha mean? On a separate note, I use Loz's Helios profile and I cannot change the Mode 3/A wheels inside Helios, but have to do it in the cockpit. Is that normal or does Helios work?
IFF is for friend or foe. He mentioned it's set before take off but not much on actual usage. You don't need to set mode 3 or 4 switches as they are already on in the middle position. On the left there is a switch labeled IFF and you can switch that on. Then on the most rear left side there is the iff antenna switch you can turn that to both. The squak code is used for communication on the clearance radio, I think.

You will have to do this all through the clickable cockpit. But then again I heard the IFF in the a-10 does not work.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The IFF is not simulated but we thought it would be cool to still introduce it plus squawk code is part of Clearance Delivery, [...]

Pretty cool! I never even bothered to look at that panel before I first flew this mission, but all the switches work, so for immersion I sometimes set them up the way I think makes the most sense (which is probably all wrong, but since the whole system isn't even modeled, it's not like ATC is gonna yell at me :D).

I tried out and finished this mission and all i can say is that its the most real and precise learning mission i have played. After almost 6 years playing A-10C now, i just learned a fair bit about the IFF panel and a few other details like the ground speed while taxiing that can be monitored in the CDU page (In hud we dont get speed under 50), oh and also that detail about group codes where you insert your own code. Loved it, really imho its perfect, its the way to go.

Excellent job Baltic Dragon, like always:thumbup:

• Like 1

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I tried out and finished this mission and all i can say is that its the most real and precise learning mission i have played. After almost 6 years playing A-10C now, i just learned a fair bit about the IFF panel and a few other details like the ground speed while taxiing that can be monitored in the CDU page (In hud we dont get speed under 50), oh and also that detail about group codes where you insert your own code. Loved it, really imho its perfect, its the way to go.

Excellent job Baltic Dragon, like always

Yup can't wait for the whole campaign it will be a blast. I wish most the other modules had missions like this.

IFF is for friend or foe. He mentioned it's set before take off but not much on actual usage. You don't need to set mode 3 or 4 switches as they are already on in the middle position. On the left there is a switch labeled IFF and you can switch that on. Then on the most rear left side there is the iff antenna switch you can turn that to both. The squak code is used for communication on the clearance radio, I think.

You will have to do this all through the clickable cockpit. But then again I heard the IFF in the a-10 does not work.

Squawk codes are used to identify Aircraft. You get one so it sets aside you apart from everyone else on IFR flight plans. Everyone squawks 1200 in the States for VFR(Visual Flight Rules) and then people on flight following which is still vfr but you're getting help from ATC for like traffic(which they wont always do if busy) you'll get a squawk just like IFR traffic so ATC knows who should be talking.

Baltic

I believe that everyone that has tried your mission one has enjoyed it. So I have a suggestion. Why not offer the entire campaign for sale now with the missions to be delivered as and when they are done. I for one would gladly pay the $10 now so as not to have to wait until you finish all the missions. If there are bugs in a particular mission, the bugs can be fixed with an update.

Edited by sobe
typo

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Baltic

I believe that everyone that has tried your mission one has enjoyed it. So I have a suggestion. Why not offer the entire campaign for sale now with the missions to be delivered as and when they are done. I for one would gladly pay the $10 now so as not to have to wait until you finish all the missions. If there are bugs in a particular mission, the bugs can be fixed with an update.

2nd this!

Baltic

sounds like a good idea!

... As for the exact meaning of Alpha, we'll have to wait for Doughboy to comment. ...

I just Googled some:

we have two kinds of radar, primary and secondary. primary is skin paint. it just gives range and azimuth information, and doesn't really care what it picks up. it can pick up mountain or whatever. but secondary radar uses a beacon system. any airplane equiped with a transponder can be seen by an atc secondary radar system. a controller will assign you a mode a squawk, which is a 4 digit code (all digits are from 0-7) to identify you. on every sweep of the radar antenna a request is sent out for mode a and c. mode c consists of altitude info. mode s is newer and is capable of datalink and tcas so you can see other airplanes codes to avoid collision.

A transponder can be Mode Alpha, Charlie and Sierra equipped. Alpha: ATC can see you on radar, just as a dot with the sqwuakcode. Charlie: ATC can see much more info, such as altitude, speed, etc... Sierra is the most detailed equipment (most airliners are S equipped) and gives lots of details, such as mentioned: tcas, etc.

Edited by Razor18

Sorry I'm just now catching up on this. I've had people packing up my house for the last 3 days and it's been hectic. So the IFF stuff... The ins and outs of IFF stuff is an OPSEC issue for obvious reasons. Since we cant validate its proper usage and its non-functional anyway, we've decided to limit the usage of the IFF/SIF panel to that of a transponder only. A lot of people (myself included) have wanted better ATC and more complex ATC for some time. Putting the level of ATC interaction that we have alows us to inject that "feel" of realism into the mission. Using the transponder and having squawk codes added another level to that interaction and introducing Clarence Delivery clears up some issues I had writing the script in later missions. Your usage of the IFF/SIF has no bearing on mission success. You can use it, not use it or squawk 7500 it don't matter. No one is going to get on the radio and bitch at you. So if you're like me and enjoy flipping switches it's there. If you don't want to bother with it since it's non-functional and redundant then you're good to go too! With all of that being said do you like it being in there or prefer to have it left out?

I know about the VO telling you to put the switches into the on position when they're already there. I need to fix that VO. Good catch though!! Also I agree the departure procedure could be cleared up a bit. We need to put a Waypoint at Apex and fly to it then turn for Moapa in accordance with your clearance. We'll get that fixed in later iterations with supporting voice overs. I'm glad you guys are playing it, ejoying it and giving us your feedback! Keep it coming!!

Doughboy

Edited by Doughboy

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Baltic

In my above comment, I didn't really explain my reason for requesting a serial release of your missions. I have very slowly been doing your first mission. At the rate that it has taken me to do the first mission, dropping all 12 or so of your missions on me at one time might be considered cruel and unusual punishment. By releasing the missions on a serial basis, I can spend the time that I need to carefully go thru each mission without feeling the pressure to move to the next mission.

Hahaha Sobe, thanks for clarification!

Although the idea is interesting I think it would go against the DLC rules. Plus, on a purely humanitarian level, it would put enormous pressure on Doughboy and myself - and we kind of cherish the ability to revisit earlier missions, add some new stuff and work with a pace we determine ourselves (not to mention that we do that on top of normal full time work, family, moving through half of US (Doughboy) or having other parallel projects (me).

Still I like the idea and I think I will use it for training missions for Harrier - and perhaps the training campaign as well. So thanks a lot!

Hahaha Sobe, thanks for clarification!

Although the idea is interesting I think it would go against the DLC rules. Plus, on a purely humanitarian level, it would put enormous pressure on Doughboy and myself - and we kind of cherish the ability to revisit earlier missions, add some new stuff and work with a pace we determine ourselves (not to mention that we do that on top of normal full time work, family, moving through half of US (Doughboy) or having other parallel projects (me).

Still I like the idea and I think I will use it for training missions for Harrier - and perhaps the training campaign as well. So thanks a lot!

Haha I don't mind the long missions at all, lots of stuff to learn! Are you really going to do training missions for the harrier or the f18 later? I was considering getting the m2000c module but there is no training in that until dcs 2.0 is completely finished. Pretty sure once I finish your a-10 training I'll jump into one of your campaigns. The work you put in is pretty amazing!

Haha I don't mind the long missions at all, lots of stuff to learn! Are you really going to do training missions for the harrier or the f18 later? I was considering getting the m2000c module but there is no training in that until dcs 2.0 is completely finished. Pretty sure once I finish your a-10 training I'll jump into one of your campaigns. The work you put in is pretty amazing!

Thanks! Yes, I will do training for Harrier (both basic and advanced), not for F-18 (perhaps in the future as a DLC similar for the A-10C one).

As for M-2000C I am prwtty sure training is there - 10 training missions and then 13 campaign missions that supplement the training, as I did them myself. Basic ones just beed an update once the module is final :)

Cheers,

BD

Thanks! Yes, I will do training for Harrier (both basic and advanced), not for F-18 (perhaps in the future as a DLC similar for the A-10C one).

As for M-2000C I am prwtty sure training is there - 10 training missions and then 13 campaign missions that supplement the training, as I did them myself. Basic ones just beed an update once the module is final :)

Cheers,

BD

Nice to know, then when I arrive home I'm definitely going to get the m2000 module. Although I'll stick to learning one aircraft at a time now. Your missions really improved my overall enjoyment of the sim.

Nice to know, then when I arrive home I'm definitely going to get the m2000 module. Although I'll stick to learning one aircraft at a time now. Your missions really improved my overall enjoyment of the sim.

The M-2000C training / campaign missions are in the 1.5 version of DCS.:joystick:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The M-2000C training / campaign missions are in the 1.5 version of DCS.:joystick:
Ah ok figured. I will need to install dcs 1.5 on my other ssd so I can run both nttr and the caucus map.