Announcement - new A-10C DLC training campaign

With all of that being said do you like it being in there or prefer to have it left out?

Leave it there. Its perfect, at least we learn how to play around with that panel and enjoy switching buttons:)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

At an early point in the lesson, after the IFF is set, I believe you are asked to put the IFF antenna up and it is supposed to be on the lower left console. If my memory is correct, I looked there and could not find the antenna switch and there is nothing in the manual after the stall warning control panel. This is no big deal as the IFF is not implemented, but I just wanted to check.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Great mission. I have just a couple of nitpicks that you might think about.

The insturctions to start up the jet was great for beginners and to refresh my memory. However, if you are going into such detail on startup, I was expecting some refresher on take off speed, approach speed, AOA, landing speed, flaring, flaps positions, etc. I did take off and land a little bumpy, but some instructions would have helped.

One thing I found hard, was the changing of the UHF freq while the jet was moving. You could use active pause, but that causes other issues. I found that using autopilot or preset channels was helpful and you might want to think about adding this to the talk on radios.

Finally, I found it a little confusing were to go at the airfield at the end of the mission.

These are just nitpicks and I am going to fly the mission again now that I have reviewed the manual.

Good luck on the remaining missions.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Excellent mission, enjoyed full 2 hours of it! Thank you.

I found a small bug - while setting up Group ID, the narrator requests code 07, while in the help text there is 01.

Minor thing: as we were flying, I have noticed the lead had formation lights on, but I do not remember him requesting this, so I had them off by default.

And of course I have noticed juggling with the frequencies was a bit handful at times - would they do this also IRL, or would they use presets?

Hey Gerd, glad you enjoyed it!

The bug is already on to-fix list :) thanks for reporting.

As for the lights - indeed, I don't think we have that covered anywhere, might be worthwile adding that as well. I will double check though.

And radio presets use will be covered in the campaign, though not in the first mission (there is already A LOT to cover in its current form).

Cheers,

BD

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Nice mission, keep up the good work

Quick question, for me nothig happened after I land the plane and taxi to the parking spot. No shut down instructions, is this the way it's supposed to be?

Edited by N19

Hi all

Nice mission, keep up the good work

Quick question, for me nothig happened after I land the plane and taxi to the parking spot. No shut down instructions, is this the way it's supposed to be?

When you landed did you go to the end of the runway and turn right ? Then you have to keep ground speed and stop at the active line a few feet forward after making a right. You should see a text on the top right saying wait here for IP to land.

Once IP lands he will tell you to go ahead and taxi while giving you some landing checklist procedure to complete. Mainly turning your lights, switching off anti skid, etc. At some point when you get back to your parking area, you have to park in the same vicinity where you start.

You should see press space to begin shutdown procedure.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

When you landed did you go to the end of the runway and turn right ? Then you have to keep ground speed and stop at the active line a few feet forward after making a right. You should see a text on the top right saying wait here for IP to land.

Once IP lands he will tell you to go ahead and taxi while giving you some landing checklist procedure to complete. Mainly turning your lights, switching off anti skid, etc. At some point when you get back to your parking area, you have to park in the same vicinity where you start.

You should see press space to begin shutdown procedure.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try it tonight

#1 Training Mission 9/10

Hey good Pilots,

I thought this first instalment was a beauty. And more than likely an excellent precursor of what's to come. Everything from the grandeur of Nellis AFB ( and man oh man whatta an AFB it is!!) to the vast expanses of the beautiful open desert scenery and what a pleasant change it is having not to worry about smacking into the side of a mountain or not pulling out of a valley dive. I've not had much experience with NTTR, just the odd mission here and there as I'm still engrossed in this GH with CA but hey that's the beauty of DCS, you can take your time and pick n choose along the way but getting back to this Training Mission, I was blown away by the level of detail and can't possibly imagine how much time a project like this entails and I'm sure we're all aware that BD and DB posses the Midas touch when it comes to creating these things. I thought it was well paced and well presented right from the get go, the Briefing was well thought out and I actually made myself absorb it and I found it an interesting good read. From there into your Cockpit and I know this is a training mission but it sure helped in knowing your Ramp Start off by heart as being ready for the next command made it easier to quickly progress. I found the Radio Frequencies a little dauntng at first as it was a whole new beast from what I've been used to but that's all good and I got a bit muddled with that IFF panel as that's something I have'nt had much experience with and the 2 hours it took to complete zoomed by as you were always busy. The instructor was great and sounded like a really cool dude with a bohemian streak and not like a cyborg so you felt immediately at ease and relaxed as he gave you tips and let you re ask questions if need be. I kinda botched up the ending as I didn't wait long enough at the designated line after landing and taxiing but on my second run I'll def be following instructions. I'm not going to pull this thing apart and forensically examine the faults because for one, there were hardly any which is pretty rare for a first time round pre production project so to speak and secondly.. don't sweat the small stuff, these little things will get sorted. I also discovered how to check my ground speed whilst taxiing, I've always wondered about that and will be taking note on my second try as I forgot how to replicate it away from this mission (tgp cdu 2 clicks or osb 10 two clicks or something??) Anyway without this turning into War n Peace I'll finish off my little review here by saying I found this first Training mission very enjoyable and engaging. And I think it's going to be great for noobs, casual flyers and Vets alike, it makes the A-10C even more enjoyable to fly. It def gets my vote and I'll be throwing my $$$ at it when it's released. So, praise to BD, DB and all others who helped in creating this one. I'm sure the rest of it will be a winner.

Cheers, peace out.

G

thumbup.gif

• Like 1

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Hey GazAce, many thanks for the kind words - we're happy that you liked it! Posts like this are what keeps us going, it is nice to see that you guys appreciate the hard work put into this - both by us and by the great voice actors, beta testers and others, who are happy to share their real life experience (pilots, crew chiefs, ATCs and others) so that the end product comes as close to reality as possible.

I would also like to thank the whole community, people gathered around the DCS are an extraordinary bunch, extremely supportive and dedicated :) thanks and stay tuned for more news!

• Like 1

I think I found two (unrelated) issues.

When setting up the SADL, the IP says to set group id 07 (which is correct), but the following text reads:

Press SPACE BAR when you are ready to proceed and you have set up your SADL (Group ID 01, Own ID 03)

This trigger is "SPACEBAR AWAIT" and it immediately follows after "Biff instructions SADL".

The next problem was a bit weird.

We were lined up on the runway and I was cleared for takeoff ("Biff take off instructions" had finished). At that time, I was heads down in the TAD to figure out the correct GRP ID and I wasn't sure whether I had really been cleared for takeoff or if I should confirm all engine instruments in the green, so I pressed the space bar a few times.

A few seconds later, Biffs call about clearance delivery was repeated, I think it was the one from "FL70 BIFF on clearance delivery".

After takeoff everything seemed to be back to normal - except I'd broken my landing gear in what was surely my worst takeoff in the A-10C since forever because I was again heads down trying to dial the Tower freq back in, so I aborted the mission at that point. :music_whistling: ;)

I think a tiny adjustment would have prevented my confusion altogether: after "Biff take off instructions", display something like "You are cleared for takeoff. Disable nosewheel steering with the pinky switch at around 70 KT IAS", which could be cleared with the "FL2002 Kermit is rolling" trigger.

Speaking of triggers: I don't think I've ever seen a mission with so many triggers. You're completely crazy doing what you're doing, you know that, right? :D

Kidding aside, this is such a wonderful mission, absolutely wonderful job on all accounts! :thumbup:

I think I found two (unrelated) issues.

When setting up the SADL, the IP says to set group id 07 (which is correct), but the following text reads:

This trigger is "SPACEBAR AWAIT" and it immediately follows after "Biff instructions SADL".

The next problem was a bit weird.

We were lined up on the runway and I was cleared for takeoff ("Biff take off instructions" had finished). At that time, I was heads down in the TAD to figure out the correct GRP ID and I wasn't sure whether I had really been cleared for takeoff or if I should confirm all engine instruments in the green, so I pressed the space bar a few times.

A few seconds later, Biffs call about clearance delivery was repeated, I think it was the one from "FL70 BIFF on clearance delivery".

After takeoff everything seemed to be back to normal - except I'd broken my landing gear in what was surely my worst takeoff in the A-10C since forever because I was again heads down trying to dial the Tower freq back in, so I aborted the mission at that point. :music_whistling: ;)

I think a tiny adjustment would have prevented my confusion altogether: after "Biff take off instructions", display something like "You are cleared for takeoff. Disable nosewheel steering with the pinky switch at around 70 KT IAS", which could be cleared with the "FL2002 Kermit is rolling" trigger.

Speaking of triggers: I don't think I've ever seen a mission with so many triggers. You're completely crazy doing what you're doing, you know that, right? :D

Kidding aside, this is such a wonderful mission, absolutely wonderful job on all accounts!

Haha well it's suppose to model realistic sorties. Which would explain a lot of the heads down required, although not so much for this mission.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Sobe-

Check the TOLD data in the kneeboard for speeds etc.

Radio presets are covered in a later sortie. (Maybe mission 2)

It seems like the recovery portion of the mission is bugged. With that being said Ground gives the flight taxi instructions, there is an airport diagram in the kneeboard and I think the IP tells you want to do when things work correctly.

N19-

Nope not at all. There are instructions for taxi, parking, shutdown and other stuff. Again, post landing is bugged.

Yurgon-

Copy that dude I think that stuff is already on the list but ifor not it is now.

Thanks again for the kind words and feedback folks!

• Like 1

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

Baltic Dragon and I wanted to give you guys a better idea of what we're trying to do with Iron Flag, let you guys have the opportunity to actually get hands on with it and for us to get feedback from you. So with that in mind, we are going to release Mission 01 for free download (link at the bottom)....

-Doughboy

Mission 01 Download Link

Thanks a lot .. I hadn't realized that you were providing this Campaign demo ... it seems really well made, and very useful for an A-10C newbie like me :)

... I will purchase it as soon as it cames out.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Where can I find this download and are there any instruction for installation? I am overwhelmed with excitement.

Check the end of post #1 in this thread for a download link :)

Just place the downloaded mission wherever you can find it later on, and then from the DCS "Mission" menu open and enjoy it.

The quickest way should be to place the mission in Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\missions, and in the "Mission" menu navigate to "My missions" (IIRC), where it should show up.

Just to be sure: you need the Nevada terrain and DCS World Open Alpha (aka DCS World 2.1) in order to be able to play this mission. It won't work in the old Caucasus map.

From the Zip extractor, I get Extraction Complete. However, nothing shows up in the DCS 2.1. I started DCS World II, I went to Missions and could not find Mission 01 Open Beta. What do I do next. Sorry for not be computer savy.
The file should be mission 01.miz

You should not need to extract anything. You don't need to open it just download it and place it in you install directory.

Should be under the Mods/aircraft/a10/missions/single player/

Under the single player folder there are others like training, campaign, etc. I put mine under training but it doesn't really matter it's just preference as long as it's in one of those folders that's under the missions folder.

Still lost

sze5003, When I first download the file, I get what is below (it is a much, much larger file--I only copied a few lines). What is next?

zip-extractor-icon-48.png

ZIP Extractor

Decompress ZIP files to Google Drive

Ready to extract ZIP file.

zip-extractor-icon-16.png

Mission 01 OPEN BETA.miz

Name Size Status folder.pngMission 01 OPEN BETA.miz (Unzipped Files)——

file.pngmission1.9 MB

folder.pngl10n——

folder.pngDEFAULT——

file.pngdictionary113 KB

file.pngmapResource23 KB

file.pngRM1-Tusk21-135A 4s.ogg32 KB

file.pngM1-Tusk21-119 11s.ogg84 KB

file.pngM1-Player-66 3s.ogg

Don't use ZIP extractor, simply click "download" button on the Google Drive site you will be directed to. You should then have a separate file called Mission 1 OPEN BETA.miz

Copy that file to your Missions folder in User/Saved Game/DCS Open Alpha section (as advised before) and you should be good to go.

sze5003, When I first download the file, I get what is below (it is a much, much larger file--I only copied a few lines). What is next?

zip-extractor-icon-48.png

ZIP Extractor

Decompress ZIP files to Google Drive

Ready to extract ZIP file.

zip-extractor-icon-16.png

Mission 01 OPEN BETA.miz

Name Size Status folder.pngMission 01 OPEN BETA.miz (Unzipped Files)——

file.pngmission1.9 MB

folder.pngl10n——

folder.pngDEFAULT——

file.pngdictionary113 KB

file.pngmapResource23 KB

file.pngRM1-Tusk21-135A 4s.ogg32 KB

file.pngM1-Tusk21-119 11s.ogg84 KB

file.pngM1-Player-66 3s.ogg

No need to use zip extractor from Google drive. Click the down arrow on Google drive up by the top right.

Then just place that .miz file in the location I mentioned in my last post.