I play through Steam. Can I buy KA-50 on sale through website and activate on steam?

Jaktaz

I heard somewhere that if I buy from website, I can just add to my library as a non steam game. I'm just concerned about how I activate the module once I buy it

If you buy directly from ED, you'll receive an activation code that you have to enter once after installing the Ka-50.

(To be more precise: You'll have to create an account on the ED store, purchase the Ka-50 module, then install DCS World. In DCS World, log in with your ED store account, and then the module manager will take care of installing the Ka-50 for you).

No clue about adding DCS as a non-Steam game, sorry. I guess it should work, but hopefully someone can answer that question who actually knows for sure.

I heard somewhere that if I buy from website, I can just add to my library as a non steam game. I'm just concerned about how I activate the module once I buy it

I used to have DCS through Steam, I then realised the advantages of having the standalone version. ( I actually still have both installed )

Updates and new modules are available much earlier than Steam, also patches etc, and also because my Steam modules were easily activated in the standalone version, it means I can pick up modules in the sales on both standalone and steam !!

I only use the standalone version now, but hang on to the steam one just in case they have a flash sale....Both can run very happily beside each other...

Hope this helps :)

The key won't work with the steam version.

What those other guys have said is that you could download DCS from the website here. Install it etcetera. You could then go into steam and add it as a non-steam game. This means you can launch the game from inside steam and use the overlay.

Marcus, I don't even have the steam version installed anymore. You can just go to the steamstore and purchase modules on sale even without having it installed. Just need to go to owned DLC keys for DCS and enter them on the website here.

Check my F-15C guide

Do yourself a favor and ditch the Steam release. :)

You'll have access to beta releases of more modules, if that's your thing. Most importantly you'll be able to take advantage of all the sales! Steam keys will work in your ED release version, just not the other way around.

DCS will retain your controller setup, and any content or and modules you purchased through Steam when you install directly through ED so you don't need to worry about losing your bindings.

The key won't work with the steam version.

What those other guys have said is that you could download DCS from the website here. Install it etcetera. You could then go into steam and add it as a non-steam game. This means you can launch the game from inside steam and use the overlay.

Marcus, I don't even have the steam version installed anymore. You can just go to the steamstore and purchase modules on sale even without having it installed. Just need to go to owned DLC keys for DCS and enter them on the website here.

Thanks Sryan, I hadn't realised that, guess I can free up some disk space then :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the Steam version for a while. Just forget the Steam version and get the ED standalone. All your vehicles will transfer across. On the ED standalone, you will get early access and certain vehicles will become available much earlier. There literally is no reason to keep the Steam version, unless you are too lazy to download the ED version again.