A helicopter you have to fly

serolrom

I didn't think I would ever get a helicopter. Not at least while there are so many fixed wing planes waiting for my wallet.

Yesterday something clicked in my head an I couldn't resist.

This has been some kind of revelation. After all of those fighters, all that "align runway, full throttle, pull the stick", the Huey feels again like flying, if you know what I mean.

I have honestly found it easier to handle than the general comments made me think, but it's lots of fun, you don't just let it fly you, you have to fly it.

This is a 'hello my fellow Huey pilots' post. You know, one of those 'glad to have discovered you and looking forward to fly with you'.

• Like 1

I had the same revelation a couple of weeks back. I've had the Huey for ages but never really gave it a chance. Its my favourite aircraft now.

I've watched some youtube videos of others flying it and they make it all look so easy.

I've been practicing alot but my landings are terrible. I always end up landing in a totally different location than where I had planned ha ha.

Once i get a hang of the huey i will feel very satisfied with myself because it really feels like proper flying.

Advice given to me at one time:

One of the tricks to do approaches is to start on final about 300' above the landing point, 70 knots, and hold that until you get the landing point at a certain position in the windshield (I used to even draw a point with a grease pencil in the windshield).

I use the space between the horizon and the panel line and split it.

- About 1/3 the distance is where I put the landing point for a shallow approach,

- 2/3s for a normal,

- and steep would be about where the panel line is.

Then hold that as you descend and reduce speed (you'd also avoid descending more than 300 fpm and hold about the speed where the helo vibrates due to ETL)

844544930_Landingapproach.thumb.jpg.a150b88e304a5acca704cfdf7dc1037e.jpg

• Like 1

ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard / Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked Processor Six Core / Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator Memory Kit - 32GB (4x 8GB) / OCZ Solid 3 480GB Solid State Drive / EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ / Corsair CW-9060002-WW Hydro H70 CORE CPU Cooler / Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB Hard Drive / BenQ XL2420TX 24" Widescreen LED Gaming Monitor - 1920 x 1080 / Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, 64-bit / C-Tek 12-bit: Foot Pedals - Robinson Cyclic - 5-button-hat cyclic - Collective / TrackIR-5

hello my fellow Huey pilots
Hi! :)

Get the Mi-8 too, while it's on offer this weekend! Comparable sense of flying but more complexity in terms of navigation, systems etc, to keep you busy for a long time. And watch that VRS on approach... the Mi-8 likes to fall down with very short notice :)

EDIT: This wasn't meant to promote the Mi-8 or say that it's the better chopper at all, they both are insanely enjoyable :)

Edited by Lucifah

My humble rig: Windows 10 pro 64bit; i7-6700k on Gigabyte Z170X G7; 32GB; MSI 980ti Twin Frozr; 512GB Samsung 950 Pro (NVMe/PCIe x4); 1TB Samsung 850 Pro; Komplete Audio 6; TrackIR 5 Pro;

DCS 2.5 with almost all modules; favourites: Shark, Mi-8, Harrier, Viggen, Mirage, Hornet

There is a charm to Huey. It has relatively simple systems, but handling itself can be challenging! No fancy nav systems, just map and compass assisted with a clock, little bit of help from radio beacons and that's it. At least Mi-8 has Doppler radar that you can measure distance with! Autopilost means "passing controlls over copilot", but otherwise you have to have your hands on controlls all the time. It is a very rewarding experience, and I am having a great time since the first day they let us fly it in DCS. Welcome onboard :)

[sIGPIC]http://i55.tinypic.com/21oydlx.jpg[/sIGPIC]

ヒューイ最高!o(≧∇≦o)

you don't just let it fly you, you have to fly it.

+1 for this. perfect definition of a nice done module in general.

can i use it in my sig ? ;-)

what i could say is grab all helo. ;-)

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Thanks for the advices, I´ll take them, I will explore the MP and certainly have a look at other helos! The Mi-8 will probably come next, see if my wallet can go double this weekend. Gazelle... I don't think my system can hold this one.

Welcome to the rotor world! Huey is fantastic, a simple ball park figure to help you land with style and avoid VRS and other frustrations, is just simply monitor your VSI (vertical speed indicator) when still getting used to the bird. Do not allow your rate of descent to fall above 400-500FPM. The sweet spot generally for me is right about 300-400. Also, don't rely jut on collective for the rate of descent, adjust with aft pressure to the cyclic too.

Good luck!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''