Ho w do you turn without losing altitude in the Gazelle?

the_soupdragon

Everytime I try to change direction in the Gazelle I lose altitude.

What is the correct way to maintain altiude whlist turning? Should i just add more collective maybe some opposite rudder or use the altitude hold AP?

I would be interested to know the correct way to turn in the Gazelle without losing altitude.

Cheers

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

Its work with the colective and reder and also u can use the AP set as ALT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

Does the ALT AP work well in a turn?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

If making a strong bank I add collective and as I do I try and keep the top of the string bar on the same place on the horizon. If done properly you shouldn't be losing speed or altitude. Note, this takes a lot of practice. I worked on it and landings for a few hours last night and I only nailed it 2/5 times probably.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the nose and where the nose points is very important in this chopper.

The pull into the turn generally keeps the nose high depending on the bank angle which creates a climb.... Tiny pedal control is required to stop a height climb and maintain speed as you pull into the turn... but tiny pedal movements!

Too much pedal the nose points down and you gain speed and dive, too little and you climb and loose speed.

Sometimes I can balance the pedal, pull and collective.... but a lot of times not, I really need much more practice.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Don't bank too quickly or sharply, gently pull the nose around, and pull the string! That giant tail fin is gonna bleed lots of energy if you let it flap in the breeze.

As I've said before, imagine you're flying a craft with no rotor and only a single thrust source. Don't count on translational lift pulling you through the turn like in the Huey.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Don't bank too quickly or sharply, gently pull the nose around, and step on the ball! That giant tail fin is gonna bleed lots of energy if you let it flap in the breeze.

As I've said before, imagine you're flying a craft with no rotor and only a single thrust source. Don't count on translational lift pulling you through the turn like in the Huey.

Better to use the string for now; the ball is bugged.

The key is Tiny control inputs, you cannot yank this around like the UH-1 or the MI-8. It is to lite and just does not have enough mass to develop any momentum, so very small inputs and wait for the change to happen.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

"you cannot yank this around like the UH-1 or the MI-8. It is to lite and just does not have enough mass to develop any momentum, so very small inputs and wait for the change to "

As i am PLH i fly mostly R22 , once Hugues 500 and 206 and i can assure you that r22 for exemple is very light but follow the turn gently with a little bit of rudder use like the huey or MI8 in dcs . So nothing to do with with the mass or momentum from my point of view..

it s like the FM of the gazelle behave like an rc helicopter with an headlock gyro that is why she goes up when you turn unless you apply the perfect rudder with the perfect Bank angle ...

sas is to powerfull for exemple in every helicopter when you put the collective down you Always have a the nose who goes down ( and brutal left or right rudder to apply) ... Not whith the gazelle even a tendency..

So for me we have to wait for FM to be tuned a little bit and fly the gazelle ( wich have a tremendous cockpit ambiance ) like an rc helicopter ;) ..

"you cannot yank this around like the UH-1 or the MI-8. It is to lite and just does not have enough mass to develop any momentum, so very small inputs and wait for the change to "

As i am PLH i fly mostly R22 , once Hugues 500 and 206 and i can assure you that r22 for exemple is very light but follow the turn gently with a little bit of rudder use like the huey or MI8 in dcs . So nothing to do with with the mass or momentum from my point of view..

it s like the FM of the gazelle behave like an rc helicopter with an headlock gyro that is why she goes up when you turn unless you apply the perfect rudder with the perfect Bank angle ...

sas is to powerfull for exemple in every helicopter when you put the collective down you Always have a the nose who goes down ( and brutal left or right rudder to apply) ... Not whith the gazelle even a tendency..

By the way, does anyone trim into the turn (fine bot magnetic)?

So for me we have to wait for FM to be tuned a little bit and fly the gazelle ( wich have a tremendous cockpit ambiance ) like an rc helicopter ;) ..

It will be interesting once the FM gets a trim and hopefully in the right direction. The nimble agile machine must be.

Europe has always been strong on reducing pilot workload and therefore producing strong pilot aids that the pilot must work with. In the US this trend is not so strong and it is why Airbus now dominates the civilian airframe market. I am not saying the APs are correct.... it is a simple fact that must be kept in mind.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

By the way, does anyone trim into the turn (fine trim not magnetic)?

You are right for the european airbus versus US philosophy , i know a pilot ritired from ALAT and i asked him for trying the sim i think we will have a more precise answer as i never flew the gazelle so i can t realy Tell .For the weapon perspective he was very impressed when i did described the weapon system( he told me "that must be a serious simulator " ... There was another post , a professionnal pilot talk about the SAS and told that it was an assistance, but not so powerfull and did not transform the helicopter into a drone ... what i can Tell even if it is

not the subject is that the behaviour of the huey ( as a bipale helicocpter )is realy realy accurate and we are very lucky to have such a great sim like dcs world !

You are right for the european airbus versus US philosophy , i know a pilot ritired from ALAT and i asked him for trying the sim i think we will have a more precise answer as i never flew the gazelle so i can t realy Tell .For the weapon perspective he was very impressed when i did described the weapon system( he told me "that must be a serious simulator " ... There was another post , a professionnal pilot talk about the SAS and told that it was an assistance, but not so powerfull and did not transform the helicopter into a drone ... what i can Tell even if it is

not the subject is that the behaviour of the huey ( as a bipale helicocpter )is realy realy accurate and we are very lucky to have such a great sim like dcs world !

We are indeed blessed when it comes to DCS choppers. the Huey FM is indeed superb whilst its mechanical limitations are not perfect, indeed I would say that the MI-8 is the de-facto supreme chopper module when it comes to a DCS chopper that has pretty much everything at a perfection level.... supreme is the magnificent 8.

The gazelle, we shall see where she goes with the next update release, I find no drone attributes in her at the moment. I am flying 2.0 only.

Edited by Rogue Trooper