Map mesh files

Hello one and all,

Does anyone know specifically about the map mesh files in DCS?

1: Where are they located?

2: What file format do they use?

3: And how are the map textures applied on the mesh (namely is it a top-down projection meaning the underlying mesh can be warped however and the texture still "sits" as intended, or is the ground texture created to the specific mesh shape)?

If all's as I think it is, I think it would be possible to edit existing map files to a better resolution - such as the caucasus mountains. I'm not overly confident that I would be able to do this, but I'd still like to know if it were even possible by means of a mod.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

1) In the world folder I think? I cant check on the PC im currently on.

2) .lsa4 - it is a specific format that only ED's engine can understand

3) Land textures are assigned to the mesh prior to exporting to ED's own format.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Thanks for the info.

Additional question: What tools are required to create / mod the map ground mesh and get it back to a .lsa4 file format?

I assume the mesh would be imported into ED's own map creation tool, all other assets, textures including then added on top of that and finally saved as .lsa4. I also assume ED's map creation tools are not available to just anybody...?

DCS Finland | SF squadron

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.

Additional question: What tools are required to create / mod the map ground mesh and get it back to a .lsa4 file format?

I assume the mesh would be imported into ED's own map creation tool, all other assets, textures including then added on top of that and finally saved as .lsa4. I also assume ED's map creation tools are not available to just anybody...?

right, the tools are ED's own and not available to the public

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo