controlling the BS with a hotas or collective & cyclic

G3

wonder how we will go when the BS is released and we are to control this beast with out existing hardware.

i fly model helis but i don't fully understand the controls in a real heli.

i know we have a collective control and a cyclic, then rudder pedals.

if we have some here could real heli pilots please advise...

my guess is:

the stick will control pitch and roll as x and y axis.

the rudder will control yaw

and the cyclic controls the rotor pitch and maybe throttle also???

if this is correct then we are in need of more axis, unless you have a split throttle, please correct me if thismy assumptions are totally wrong, cheers.

if this is the case it might be time we got to work on some custom controls for the heli pits.

somehow i just don't think a hotas will feel right, opinions please.

The throttle is controlled automatically by the onboard computers as a result of how much collective you're pulling.

As such, you can fly the Ka50 with a normal HOTAS.

Cyclic is indeed pitch and roll, rudder is indeed yaw, and collective is up/down.

. . . . in normal forward flight, anyway.

I know what I want for Xmas.

http://www.rcsimulations.com/copyprice.htm

pricey.

http://avia.russian.ee/cockpits/ka-50mod.jpg

2xTouchbuddy and Saitek modded. drool~~

dredd4hd0.jpg

---= 169th Panthers -Flt Lt.- =---

http://www.169thpanthers.com.au

tbdreddey7.png

AMD64 S939 3700 | 2GB Corsair DDR500 | 21" CRT

ATI Radeon X800Pro | 2x36GB WD Raptors | SB Audigy

TIR3 | TM-868 | X52 | CH Pedals | Creative 5.1 Spkrs

Build ur own collective.

If u want to spend some money u can build ur own collective. Go to www.hovercontrol.com

the website is for flight sim 2004 but u can go to the forum and scroll down to simpits part and ask there and they will help u to build one by telling u what u need ect.

Here are a few that some of them have built.

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Screenshot_Gallery/SimPits_and_Hardware&image=rotorhub_1.jpg&img=9&tt=

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Screenshot_Gallery/SimPits_and_Hardware&image=baf1re2.jpg&img=27&tt=

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Screenshot_Gallery/SimPits_and_Hardware&image=PICT0004.jpg&img=72&tt=

If u want to go to the full extent then this is something u might want to built.

http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Screenshot_Gallery/SimPits_and_Hardware&image=Flying_Desktop.jpg&img=90&tt=

yes hovercontrol is the best, for switches and sim pits based on lockon/LUA/opencockpits try the french checksix forum..

But the major problem with simpits for LockonBS is that you need gauges/instruments, HUD, Shkval TV, and ABRIS view exports enabled, otherwise it makes no sense. The first two are implemented and working either as glasscockpits or real "steam gauges" from simkits etc. However, the last two are in question.

So, far nobody answered (and we asked numerous times) as to whether Shkval TV and ABRIS would be possible to export to another display preferably over network. MSFS, Falcon, FlightGear sims are supporting these features so LockonBS should too. This is in my humble opinion much more important for the entire immersion factor than puting devs resources in some hard core tweaking of ammo properties since the real weaponery has slightly different "publicly undocumented" features anyway..

I can understand the the ED devs are not particularly happy about these requests as so much fine work has gone into that gorgeous 6DOF cockpit of Ka-50 but the reality is that lot of prospective BS players need pits and those export views. If not supported natively this functionality should be at least "outsourced" to some payware pros like from simmeters to do it..

Yes, yes and yes Id like to see current homebuilt heli pit setups and ideas out there. ;)

My pit was recently upgraded specifically for Black Shark. Collective, Pedals, and Stick are from simkits.

bs_ready.jpg

and yes they make a huge difference when flying choppers.

Cheers

peter

• Like 1

Whoah!......Where on earth do you guys get the time, money, or space! Me being married rules this kind of stuff out...What is it about woman - I mean, they go on and on about understanding *their* needs, but when it comes to *my* (relatively simple) need to convert the second bedroom into a giant sim-pit it's a big NO NO NO! ;)

damn! :shocking:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

some great ideas already out there i see, and as for the throttle being computer controlled then at least we can use the existing hotas setups.

i am inspired, i will also add my vote for the exported/networked abris etc.

i know we keep harping on about it but that should tell you something in itself...

Me being married rules this kind of stuff out...What is it about woman - I mean, they go on and on about understanding *their* needs, but when it comes to *my* (relatively simple) need to convert the second bedroom into a giant sim-pit it's a big NO NO NO! ;)

arm505, i see you are joking, and this is not a personal attack.

i see this stuff all the time, guys crying about being married and will have to ask the boss etc.

being married isnt the problem, its the one you marry :).

come on fellas, but your pants back on, take the balls out of your golf bag and back into your scrotum :D or has she made you sell the golf clubs too, hehe.

my wife is a champion and understands my passion for sims, gaming and computers in general.

looks like i might be one of the lucky ones.

bnepethomas, unfortunately i have to wait till i get home to see your images, sounds like you are indeed ready for the BS.

edit: now i see it, oh my goodness that looks amazing, with the projector screen behind, what a setup, well done :)

Dang thats a nice pit !!!!

OK for the original question. Here goes.

in its most basic.

The cyclic controls the rotational pitch of the blades. Think of a disc. Push collective forward and its like pushing on the furthest point on the disc in line with your sight, offsetting the disc around the centre axis. Clclic to the left and push on the disc edge at 270 degrees.

The collective is used to increase main rotor pitch simultaneously at all points of the rotor blade rotation. It increases or decreases total rotor thrust. To accomodate this, the eingine usually is managed to stay at a constant rpm. When you increase pitch (pulling on collective) the AoA of the blades increases producing more thrust. This also creates more drag and the motor must increase in power to compensate for the drag.

Helicopters are limited in altitude due to air thinning at high alts. What happens is that the helo blades reach a maximum AoA trying to "bite" more air to achieve desired lift. But as the air density decreases, so does the resistance. And you will find that your engine will start to over rev.

What is it about woman - I mean, they go on and on about understanding *their* needs, but when it comes to *my* (relatively simple) need to convert the second bedroom into a giant sim-pit it's a big NO NO NO! ;)

Shouda married another man!

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

I think I'll stick to woman thanks! My wife is actually pretty tolerant, I was was saying that 'tongue in cheek' - I mean she lives with me screaming into TS until all hours of the morning, my computer has overtaken the study with a massive desk covered in Cougars, steering wheels, multiple pedals etc, the usual spaghetti nest of cabling all over the room, monitors lying around, various upgrades (read $$$) all the time etc etc. She drew the line at converting the spare bedroom though!

I really can't complain actually!

My pit was recently upgraded specifically for Black Shark. Collective, Pedals, and Stick are from simkits.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsljvly/bs_ready.jpg

and yes they make a huge difference when flying choppers.

Cheers

peter

WOW !! Is there three projection screens in front of you?

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I was just kidding with ya. :D

Can't complain about my wife either. Really. I can't! She'll kill me.

LOL

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

the triplehead2go, oh yes that combined with three projectors along with your fantastic looking pit will probably be as close to simulated heaven as we will get, look forward to some shots of all 3 projected images with the pit in the foreground, especially lights out and no flash so we can see the pit in all its glory, with the glass instruments etc. (ps: never did get that going)

can you expand a little on the existing projectors you have and what you intend to buy, as in are they all the same, does it really matter i guess not, and what resolution do they run natively?

th2go with no bezel edges...................can i come over :)

will be most happy to discuss setting the th2go up in lockon, maybe BS will be different but FC took a bit of editing to the lua files.

not to mention the fact changing the in game graphics options would overight the changes.

but thats another topic and we had better stay on the one at hand.

awesome pit the bnepethomas.

Just two at the moment... negotiating with the better half for the third projector and a video card thats strong enough to drive three projectors. The triple head to go is sitting in a box awaiting the arrival ;)

You have a very understanding wife.

Amazing pit!

Buzz

• 2 months later...

So how is the B-S collective going to work? i.e. push forward on the throttle to decrease collective( which is currently full throttle for the jets). And then pull back for full collective (or what is now idle/cut throttle for jets)?

I hope this is how it's set to work, even if it means having to check/uncheck invert axis to switch between jet and heli

or do you plan on B-S having it's on profiles?

"I know Not that which you have said, but if I had medication I would (Robin Williams)"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So how is the B-S collective going to work? i.e. push forward on the throttle to decrease collective( which is currently full throttle for the jets). And then pull back for full collective (or what is now idle/cut throttle for jets)?

I hope this is how it's set to work, even if it means having to check/uncheck invert axis to switch between jet and heli

or do you plan on B-S having it's on profiles?

It's going to work any way you want it to ;)

As you'd espect, setting things up for a helicopter AND jets in the same sim gets complicated regarding the input options - ED are on top of things here, don't worry :)