Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - Donation page is online

Ah thanks, it shouldn't be an issue for 2GB cards then I guess.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 & 3 GB cards are not enough to store any of current terrain mods - some of the textures are going to be shuffled between VRAM and system RAM anyway, so I don't bother with checking the actual VRAM usage in any system utility, 'cause I know it's going to be full.

The "VRAM" as reported by DCS itself (whatever that is), at the beginning of P-51 cold start mission before anything happens on the screen, with my medium-to-high settings, is 4.05 GB with 1.1 textures and 5.12 GB with 2.0 textures. FPS counter says 60 in both cases, however, panning around is smooth as butter in 1.1, while noticeably rough in 2.0.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

here a link is only a test!

delete the noise_1.bmp file and replace it with the noise_1.bmp.dss file. i have now more FPS.

this file is only for the LandTexturesSummerOther!!!!!!!

link

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11677594/StarwaysBlackSeamap2.0summernoise_1.bmp.rar.html

Danke, but I see that all "other" folder has this uncompressed bmp.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

So it seems it is time to seriously think about getting 8 GB VRAM card.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

This question is just due to my own ignorance on the topic, but what is the advantage of 8k textures. I see a lot of add-ons these days for FSX and other games will highlight HD, 2K or 4K textures, so i had assumed it was related to our gpu and monitor resolution. those with 4K textures and a 4K display resolution would have the pest experience, but since current mainstream displays dont go over 4K and running multiple 4K monitors in likely to be a fairly rare thing (im sure some have it, but i doubt most would).

Assuming best case, you are running a 4K display, would you see any 'perceptible' improvement with 8K textures instead of 4K?

Or am i just way off and the resolution of the texture has no relation to display resolution

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Texture resolution and monitor resolution are two different things that have nothing in common.

FYI the stock noise texture is 8k resolution, however i see in the zip files in the newest package that the noise1.bmp is uncompressed and non DDS format which might explain the extra VRAM usage.

!!! :book:

Texture resolution and monitor resolution are two different things that have nothing in common.

Ok cool thanks.

So with that, knowing that 4K textures seem to be most common in the stuff i have seen, and these 8K textures seemingly causing so many issues for people, would it be that noticeable of a difference to drop them to 4K for wider compatibility?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

The big advantage of using 8K textures is that you can reduce the tiling per square in the configuration file and raise the amount of details and contrast on the texture without having this ugly tiling effect. This is a specific concept for this update which can't be changed.

I also decided to use a bmp file for the base noise due to its much better quality. DDS files are compressed and this results in less sharpness for the texture.

If needed, I can release dds files of the noise textures. You will have to implement them in the dedicated zip file.

All the best,

Starway

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

Ok cool thanks.

So with that, knowing that 4K textures seem to be most common in the stuff i have seen, and these 8K textures seemingly causing so many issues for people, would it be that noticeable of a difference to drop them to 4K for wider compatibility?

I think starway use 8K textures to avoid the repetitiveness of tiles at a certain altitude. Those textures looks greats, but i've found a strange bug (not sure if it's Starway's textures or DCS related): for those having FPS hit, it can be worth the try: i've installed the textures with JSGME, as always with mods, and set up a simple mission where i'm on the runway, ready for take off: FPS: between 55/78 (depend where i look), before 115/140 :mad: then i play with setting, nothing works....don't ask me why, i disabled the clutters/bushes (slider to 0m), FPS:118/146, ok....i think i've found the culprit.... i've re-enabled it, so slider at 1500m, FPS:115/140 :huh:

Any ideas?

I understand for the size of file but this must be imo optimized for the best looking it can be ofcourse but mainly with great performance.. It is easier to load big textures and make it look good but the hard part is to make it run great.. or even better than the Original. Maybe a 2 or 3 versions of the same map would be the best

I also decided to use a bmp file for the base noise due to its much better quality. DDS files are compressed and this results in less sharpness for the texture.

Here is in DDS by Maverick263, not a very big difference in quality:

DCS-2016-_sqreqpe.jpg

(btw I havent FPS problem between 1.1 and 2.0)

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Noise textures as dds files

Here are the noise textures in smaller file size and in dds format. Please implement the textures in the dedicated zip folders of the DLC.

link

Best,

SW

Edited by Starway
  • Like 1

Here are the noise textures in smaller file size and in dds format. Please implement the textures in the dedicated zip folders of the DLC.

link

Best,

SW

241 Mb. Thank You!

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Ok cool thanks.

you would even notice a difference with 16K textures.

The texture resolution is about detail when you get close to the texture.

Imagine the whole map had one 4K texture then an airfield would be about 1 pixel maybe and you would stand on a solid colored surface with no detail at all disregarding what resolution you play in or your display can render.

Though there is a slight relevance because with a 4K screen/resolution you will be able to see more detail in the distance which the LOD textures have to support to keep the immersion.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

link

Best,

SW

Folder "LandTexturesWinterOther" does not contain a .dds file, but a .bmp. Is this correct?

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Thanks Starway!

I have apply the DDS files and my framerate got a nice boost.

Congratulations! Your textures looks better with each update.

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

Folder "LandTexturesWinterOther" does not contain a .dds file, but a .bmp. Is this correct?

Yes that is correct. If you want to use the files from the latest dds package, just drag and drop the "noise_1.bmp.dds" into the zip files. After that you can delete the old bmp file from the zip.

Best,

SW