Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - Donation page is online

Hi,

performance issues can have many reasons, so it is a bit difficult to say what causes the problem in your case. The DLC is a bit more hardware hungry than the vanilla version due to its high res textures. Your graphic card and the lack of video memory could be the reason but that is just guessing. In general disabeling the mirrors, civ traffic and reduce the trees vis have huge impact on performance.

Best,

SW

Should've specified I'm talking about a big FPS drop between your terrain v. 1.1 and v2.4.

For now I went back to 1.1. and it's smooth as butter, but wth 2.4. I just get half the FPS, so I was wondering if there was maybe a version with lower-res noise or just lower visibility to get better performance.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should've specified I'm talking about a big FPS drop between your terrain v. 1.1 and v2.4.

For now I went back to 1.1. and it's smooth as butter, but wth 2.4. I just get half the FPS, so I was wondering if there was maybe a version with lower-res noise or just lower visibility to get better performance.

There are no changes on the config file from version 1.1 to 2.4 except the repeat value of the noise texture. In version 1.1 the concept was to use a 4K noise texture in combination with a high repeating value. In the later versions I switched to the concept of using 8K noise with less repeatings. I am sure your graphic card struggels with the 8k textures. So the only working solution in your case is to go back to the earlier versions.

Best,

SW

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

There are no changes on the config file from version 1.1 to 2.4 except the repeat value of the noise texture. In version 1.1 the concept was to use a 4K noise texture in combination with a high repeating value. In the later versions I switched to the concept of using 8K noise with less repeatings. I am sure your graphic card struggels with the 8k textures. So the only working solution in your case is to go back to the earlier versions.

Best,

SW

Ok, well, thanks for the info, I'l stick to 1.1 for high flying and barthek for choppers :joystick:

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 1 month later...

hello , I did latest DCS update and reinstalled Starway mod,

for perfomance reasons, I only installed starways terrain mod up to Version 1.1, but no more grass is appearing...

what could be the reason ? I checked the settings in the GUI, grass is at medium distance, so its definately ON, but not showing...

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, these textures are awesome. I'm gonna give you the money you deserve for it.

Is there any ongoing discussion/updates going on that I'm missing. The file I downloaded was version 2.5 but the thread only mentions up to 2.4?

• Like 1

Okay, these textures are awesome. I'm gonna give you the money you deserve for it.

Is there any ongoing discussion/updates going on that I'm missing. The file I downloaded was version 2.5 but the thread only mentions up to 2.4?

Thank you so much!

I think 2.4 is actually 2.5

That is right. I was renaming it to avoid any confusion with the upcoming official 2.5 version of the Caucasus map but I am afraid I caused more irritation than avoiding them.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

Right you are!

I am deeply enjoying this mod and the prettiness it brings, great for helicopter pilots who like to take it low.

Starway's efforts in this area of our enjoyment are simply amazing, and so much worth whatever he charges for them. Once one has flown over "Starway Country", every other seems somehow bland.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

What confuses me the most is that Starway almost made it to the official ED Mod section, but somehow (because of security restriction) bounced off. And now the integrity check is running, it gives you a red shield if you have Starway's texture active... Very, very weird, ED...

What confuses me the most is that Starway almost made it to the official ED Mod section, but somehow (because of security restriction) bounced off. And now the integrity check is running, it gives you a red shield if you have Starway's texture active... Very, very weird, ED...

The only file that does that is the shadows.lua, if you delete that file it wont IC you. I forget the position of this file but if you search it it wont be hard to find.

• Like 1

PC Specs: i7 4790 (non K), MSI GTX 980, 1TB Seagate HDD, 32GB Crucial DDR3-1600MHz RAM, 3 Samsung 1920x1080 monitors, EVGA 850W G2 PSU

The only file that does that is the shadows.lua, if you delete that file it wont IC you. I forget the position of this file but if you search it it wont be hard to find.

OK tnx; will certainly try that one. However, it still is weird.. You should expect that ED would take this one as "trusted"...

There seems to be a problem with forests since the latest Open beta 1.5.5 update..namely..there aren't any. Seems like all the areas where the forests should be are empty. Here are a few screens to show the problem..nothing to do with preload radius, trees visibility or visibility distance.

This is the area around senaki where there should be a forest

QuvFMUS.jpg

q0WkQsJ.jpg

i3VGZFz.jpg

What Option are you using for the Terrain shadows? I flew with "Default" and I see large groups of trees in the Free Flight - SU25T mission. Not sure if those are "forests" but it looks like in your screen shots that you have groups of trees and also areas where there should be trees but no trees are there.

Hard to tell without side by side screen shots of the same area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3rd Mar Div

RVN '66-'67

Did you uninstall the mod, run repair, update, then reinstall the mod,

or just update w/ it installed?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OK, found the culprit...its Mustangs no tree shadows mod...I tried without using this and all terrain mods work as they should. Too bad it aint compatible anymore since I would really like to retain shadows of objects and tree clusters and loose the shadows in forests..now I only have the option to turn terrain shadows off completely because when flat is activated I get stutters above forests..I hope Mustang can do something about it and update the files

Now, the strange thing is if I select the Terrain shadows off option, the shadows are still present when using Starways mod

EDIT: OK...now things get even stranger...disabled all mods, ran a repair, tried to switch between the 3 terrain shadow options on vanilla installation and no change...the shadows are always present..guess a reinstall then

Edited by cro_mig_21
OK...now things get even stranger...disabled all mods, ran a repair, tried to switch between the 3 terrain shadow options on