Engine Breaks on Cold Start [1.5.3.53279]

adese

Seeing an issue or new behavior since updating for DCS 1.5.3.53279 and haven't seen anything in the change logs to indicate why this may be so if I've missed something, please let me know.

During a cold start :

- BAT, ALTER, GENE [ON]

- POMPE [ON] (Wait 20sec)

- Starter to M

- Wait for engine to stabilize.

- Release the rotor break.

- Green lamp extinguished.

- Fuel Flow Forward

When the rotor gets up to speed it eventually breaks the engine before it stabilizes. I've tried a slow introduction of fuel and fast. I've even experienced this behavior in the Cold Start tutorial just to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. Sure enough, the engine breaks and shuts down each time. Hot start missions are fine. I've attached a track.

Gazelle_ColdStart_Fail.trk

• ED Team

fuel flow forward should be done gradually, if it is to fast you will damage the engine

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

fuel flow forward should be done gradually, if it is to fast you will damage the engine

Thank you BIGNEWY for the response.

It's worth noting that before the most recent update, either worked fine (fast/slow increase). I haven't seen changelog notes to indicate this behavior has changed. The tutorial and documentation make no distinction of speed to increase fuel flow (or to keep RPMs at a particular range during spin up / sync of rotors). This can be verified also in any recent YouTube video which includes a cold start. I admit that I could be mistaken on that point.

That all being said, I've done both fast and very gradual increases. The track file included in my OP shows a quite gradual and staggered increase of fuel. Let me know if you or anyone else sees it as too fast. It's also my understanding from the training that the process I'm following is correct.

Also just to note, my collective is in the down/neutral position during this time as are all inputs.

Edited by adese

As an update:

BIGNEWY, thank you again for the response it got me to try again.

This time I started the fuel flow enough to get the rotors moving. Once the RPM needles were synced - I began slowly moving the fuel to full open. This worked without damaging the engine.

This is a new behavior since the update but good to see real world mechanical sensitivity coming into play for this awesome module.

One other thing that wasn't obvious to me.

If your collective hasn't "sync'd" at startup properly, you may be doing your startup with collective in the wrong position. If this happens (e.g. max collective/idle on an airplane throttle) your engine will over-temp due to the stress before it develops enough lift to move the helo.

In Mi-8 and others, you'll see the lightness on the wheels/skids if you attempt a startup with non-zero collective, thus reminding you it's in the wrong position. In the Gazelle, however, the turbine just overtemps and explodes. Watch that N4 and if it gets within 1 large tick of the white region, you have something misconfigured.