mid-air refuelling procedure?

fitness88

I've been trying to do a mid-air refuel but as everyone knows who has tried it, it takes skill and lots of practice. I want to make sure I'm practicing the correct method. I've read this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128287&highlight=tanker

I'm able to get to pre-contact and hold position then slowly move in. When moving in to connect I'm not exactly sure where I should be relative to the boom and or plane. Also can someone please explain the light system:

KC135Boom_zps5b138eee.png~original

Thank you.

First of all make sure you get the "cleared for contact" other wise boom wont be active. Since f-15 has the refueling hatch on left side of the plane make sure align the hatch with the boom and not the plane it self. After that its fairly simple, just need to follow the lights. Left side is altitude and right one is distance. Your aim is to get middle green lights on both indicators. If you are too low arrow light will lit to guide to move up. Same with distance. If you too far away arrow light will lit guiding you to move more closer. Move your plane so you will have 2 greens and follow the arrows to keep you there.

EDIT: And by left and right i mean when you are behind the tanker. In the picture there is u=up d=down f=forward a=afterward. Middle greens perfect any other green light is ok and red lights mean your about to disconnect

Edited by RedShot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]             

http://dcsfinland.fi

Suomalainen DCS Yhteisö

lights on, get to a good altitude where you will just be able to throttle you way to the tanker. Once you get the proper altitude, engage the auto pilot. First engage attitude hold then altitude hold and now you don't have to worry about pitch. Just get to the boom, open the hatch, and try to connect.

*remember that when you increase throttle the plane might rise a little bit. The autopilot is slow to correct throttle changes so you must apply forward pressure (VERY SLIGHT) every time you get too close to the tanker.

I fuel strictly on the belly lights of the tanker. I use the ATT/ALT holds as listed above too. Another thing I do is turn off my TrackIR and zoom my view more to the bottom of the tanker to see the lights better.

Finally, lots of time practicing helps and learning how to fine-tune thrust and roll/rudder adjustments will get you a long way. Keep trying!

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

The boom in DCS isn't modelled correctly so don't feel bad if your find it difficult.

It seems that it only has half the range of telescoping motion that it should have, in the pic you posted of the boom only half of the coloured bands are present (or at least were at the time of the last patch when I last a-a refueled the F-15) and the lights were not working right either.

The main advice I'd give is be smooth, approach slowly, and practice practice practice.

Here's a style I use for the approach: once cleared contact, align the tip of the boom with the horizon (fly exactly co-altitude with the tip). This is before the boom starts moving, and sets you at a good position vertically. Once you close in and the boom starts moving, ignore the boom and just slowly glide closer while keeping altitude. Once you see the position lights, correct your position to have both vertical and horizontal position middle green and hold it for a few seconds - only then will the boom connect. Once connected, keep position in green and it's ok (doesn't have to be middle green).

As everyone here is saying, just takes practice and smooth flying, pay no attention to the boom. With the Kc-135, the boom operator makes the connection, you just have to be within position and steady.

For example, even the Su33 can refuel on the Kc-135, paying attention to only the lights. Got to love DCS.....

Inverted refueling even.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

I even do selfies during AAR :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=141737&stc=1&d=1464952078

Screen_160208_161923.thumb.jpg.72c847759919e7534f7aefdc56513f8b.jpg

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

I know some sims allow for a shortcut key to change joy-stick parameters mid-flight.

Since the flight inputs must be very subtle when air re-fuelling, is there a way to change roll/pitch curves without having to go into the joy stick setup/options mid-flight?

Unfortunately there is not in 1.5. You can fly with the trim hat, I don't advise that though. It's very important to "cage" the tanker visually and be certain of your LOS rate before trying to hook up.

I hear you...thanks.

• 2 weeks later...