What was your first flight sim?

bcradio

Mine was the original Falcon! First piece of software that I ever bought, must have been 10 or 11 or so... On an old IBM-XT clone and a monochrome monitor. Ahh, good times!

test.thumb.jpg.d52e32c5b56dfe2ed917a22cee186bf4.jpg

Edited by bcradio
broken link

Mine was Red Baron: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_%281990_video_game%29

It was a pretty nice sim, and I especially liked the immersion of the campaign. You could get wounded and start bleeding, so you needed to get back on your side of the frontline before bleeding to death. You then need to spend some time in the hospital before you could fly again. You could also land on enemy soil and get imprisoned until you manage to escape :D

Today there is Rise of Flight which follows in it's footsteps and does a good job doing so.

That's the kind of stuff I miss in DCS. It's a great flight sim, but it lacks immersion (dynamic campaign).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I couldn't say for sure as I was like 4 when I started playing sims, or airplanes game of any kind, so I kind of grew up loving airplanes. It might have been JSF or something, but the one I remember that I truly enjoyed and played a lot was Strike Fighters Project 1. Was one of my favorite games and I still have the disk to it.

FS 98 ;-)

Flying the 737-400 in Chicago.

Edited by Darkbrotherhood7

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the first one I ever played was Air Warrior III, but it might have been Red Baron.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not my first but I flew Falcon 3.0 a lot.

I really enjoyed the dynamic campaign.

Miss that.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Microprose F-117 Stealth Fighter

And 1942 Pacific Air War

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

I really don't remember which was THE first one, but ACE on C64 as linked above by Coops was one of the first. Aslo Ace of Aces on C64, as well as Dam Busters. There was also Spitfire Ace by Sid Meier (it seems Ace was a mantatory name in sims back then :P). Also there was the split screen Top Gun with wireframe F-14s against each other but this was hard to call a sim even by C64 standats, and all of these very hard to call even nearly simulators by todays standarts :).

On PC, I remember playing F-29 Retaliator and Red Baron as oldest titles.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

ACE on the c64

Same here... 1986.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

MSFS in black and white on a 512k macintosh, circa 1986.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

F-15 strike eagle II on a friends computer in 1991, then when finally my family got a home PC I got microprose's Dogfight as first flight SIM (though first game ever actually was wing commander 2).

then in quick succession:

Tornado

Strike commander

Falcon 3

operation overlord

evasive action

Jane's USAF

F-22 TAW

Falcon 4

Finally Lock on modern air combat and its expansions ever since. :D

Missed many classics primarily due to lack of funds and time.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

My word@Coops - I played ACE to death when it came out. That brings back memories.

As to the original post, my first flight sim experience was at school on a BBC Micro in the eighties. We were allowed to have a go until we crashed it. The kid before me knew what he was doing when he handed the keyboard over to me as I had about 5 seconds to pull the plane out of a nose dive. I did not succeed!

I did play AH-64 on the Commodore 64 to death - that was probably my first proper flight sim along with ACE.