Which rudder pedals?

I've got the TM Warthog on the way, and I'm going to need rudder pedals. I've done a forum search, but a lot of the threads are kind of dated.

I fly the F15 for the most part. I'd like to stay under $175. I live in the U.S.

I'm hoping for suggestions of currently available pedals here in the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

CH are supposed to be quite decent, but I've never had them.

Saiteks Combat pedals are okay-ish (had the Pro Flights once, didn't like them).

From what I've heard, the brand new Thrustmaster pedals aren't that great.

Let me be the first to recommend MFG Crosswinds. ;)

Definitely not inside your preferred price range, plus circa 3 months waiting time, but damn they're worth it!

I hear that the new VKBs are also top-notch, but they don't have toe brakes, so they're more suited for helis.

A few other high price pedals also exist, which I've never had and which may be a little hard to come by.

Personally, though, Crosswinds. I love them. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I've seen the Crosswinds, but it seems US availability is an issue.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Not that I know of. No matter where you are, they'll always be sent to you from Croatia, delivery world wide.

Some people from the US reported a few customs issues, but that always worked out okay. In most cases, that just caused a bit of a delay and required no further action.

Got mine in Dec shipped to the US, with no issue at all. Was able to track the shipment all the way here.

Very awesome pedals, have been flight simming more years than I care to remember, and can't see myself ever needing any others now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yup, those were the ones I had in mind. They look very good, but without toe brakes, I'd only consider them if I flew >90% helicopters. For WWII birds, they would be a total no-go, and for the rest, well, differential braking would be quite nice. Anyway, great to have alternatives. :thumbup:

Even for helicopters I like having toe brakes, I fly almost exclusively for now the KA-50, and it is nice having toe brake assigned to my Crosswind Pedals - able to use it as an axis. I have the KA-50's assigned to my left toe brake axis.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

...I'd only consider them if I flew >90% helicopters.p, For WWII birds, they would be a total no-go, and for the rest, well, differential braking would be quite nice.

Not really, I fly most WWII planes - and Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim, G50, Br.20, Lagg-3, Yak-1, La5, IL-2, Pe-2 (all available in il-2 series) don't have - IRL - "toe brakes".

They brake both wheels with "bycicle lever" on control column and brake right or left wheel operating a differential valve with rudder bar.

In DCS Mig-15, Mig-21... use the same system, and with T-Rudder T.Link soft I brake planes with "toe brakes" DCS P-51, Bf 109 K-4, Fw 190 D-9 with the above system using a joystick button as "bycicle lever", and for taxi maneuvers work well.... dont know other use for planes brakes beyond this.

[ame]

[/ame]

So don't understand why "toe brakes" should be more important in rudder pedal than precision, construction quality, e.g. buy a Saitek (plastic, potentiometers) instead a VKB T.Rudder (all metal, ball bearings, GMR sensors).

MFG Crosswind and Slaw Viper is other class (@ 380$ and 550$).

In price range target by OP - 175$ the options are only:

Thrustmaster TFRP ~ 90$

CH PRO Pedal - ~125$ (FYI - obsolete electronics with 8 bits - 256 points of resolution only).

Saitek PRO, Cessna or Combat (same pedal with different foot rest) - Actually in most online sellers they are not available due Saitek financial issues.

Edited by Sokol1_br
  • Like 1

The Saitek Combat Rudder pedals take a bit of flack on here from some people.

But I can say in my honest opinion they are worth every penny that I paid for them. Never let me down and jeez, I've abused them. I'm going for a set of Crosswinds purely because I have budgeted for them, not because the Combat Pedals have let me down. Value for money m8, I know the Combat Pedals are more expensive than the standard pedals but they do the job well.

weeb

• Like 2

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

Not really, I fly most WWII planes - and Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim, G50, Br.20, Lagg-3, Yak-1, La5, IL-2, Pe-2 (all available in il-2 series) don't have - IRL - "toe brakes".

They brake both wheels with "bycicle lever" on control column and brake right or left wheel operating a differential valve with rudder bar.

Good to know! I thought they all had toe brakes.

For Fw-190 and Bf-109 I still think toe brakes make differential braking relatively simple. ;)

• Like 1

I still wouldn't buy pedals without toe brakes.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

IMHO toe brakes are essential if you want to conquer a considerable market share as there are planes that use toe brakes, in RL as in their corresponding sims.

I for sure would not like to have no toe brakes in my Fw-190. It's hard enough to get her down in 1 piece hehe

MFG next time, but the Saiteks do their job well till today but would not have bought them 1st place if I had known about MFG before the purchase. I will just run them down and then replace by MFG or those talked about if they add toe brakes as they look great otherwise tbh.

• Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Just in case you come across a 2nd hand offer of Simpeds, those were excellent as well!

They're not quite as good as the MFG Crosswinds (I actually replaced mine with Crosswinds and sold them off), but they were definitely top quality. Unfortunately the company went out of business a couple of years ago. But I imagine there must be a few collecting dust, owned by people who quit simming, or went for other pedals, and are now willing to give them away for a moderate price (I did).

Unfortunately my saiteks combat pedals one the brake went out right before I left and never got a chance to get the warranty work done. By the time I get back the warranty will be over and will have a useless pair of pedals. I had them only for a few months before the toe brake problem. Its only one toe brake. Can't remember if its the left or the right.

I am going to save up for the slaw device rx viper while I am away. They seem to be pretty amazing.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by agentdarnell
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up going with CH Pro pedals. They work fine with the F15, especially after I set up my TM Warthog with the brake activated by the pinkie trigger. I tried using the toe brakes, but more often than not ended up veering wildly across the runway. I may upgrade in the future when I add other modules.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi Sokol,

i am very interested in the VKB pedals, specially at that price.

But I am wondering how did you assign differential toe brakes in DCS with a control lever only?

If you push the right rudder forward, for example, and press the lever, both the wheel brakes will be activated. Correct?

Or just the one corresponding to the pushed rudder?

In DCS Mig-15, Mig-21... use the same system, and with T-Rudder T.Link soft I brake planes with "toe brakes" DCS P-51, Bf 109 K-4, Fw 190 D-9 with the above system using a joystick button as "bycicle lever", and for taxi maneuvers work well.... dont know other use for planes brakes beyond this.

So don't understand why "toe brakes" should be more important in rudder pedal than precision, construction quality, e.g. buy a Saitek (plastic, potentiometers) instead a VKB T.Rudder (all metal, ball bearings, GMR sensors).

MFG Crosswind and Slaw Viper is other class (@ 380$ and 550$).

In price range target by OP - 175$ the options are only:

Thrustmaster TFRP ~ 90$

CH PRO Pedal - ~125$ (FYI - obsolete electronics with 8 bits - 256 points of resolution only).

Saitek PRO, Cessna or Combat (same pedal with different foot rest) - Actually in most online sellers they are not available due Saitek financial issues.

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

Just bought Thrustmaster TFRP for 90€ plus shipping cost.

I know it's far away from the precision and materials of VKB, slaw device and MFG, but I think It's in line with CH and Saitek.

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Just bought Thrustmaster TFRP for 90€ plus shipping cost.

I know it's far away from the precision and materials of VKB, slaw device and MFG, but I think It's in line with CH and Saitek.

Good starting point. Any pedal are better than no pedals...

Don B

Good starting point. Any pedal are better than no pedals...

......good point:thumbup:

• Like 2

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

New rudder pedals by Virtual Fly, the creators of the "Yoko Yoke", call "RUDDO", they are taking pre release orders right now, they are metal and look quite good, well worth considering as an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

New rudder pedals by Virtual Fly, the creators of the "Yoko Yoke", call "RUDDO", they are taking pre release orders right now, they are metal and look quite good, well worth considering as an option

At over $900 USD, not counting shipping, I would have to see some really good independant reviews first.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I agree. That's a lot for pedals.

My 4k monitor was less.

• Like 1

For $900 they better massage my feet while I battle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk