F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

On 5/3/2022 at 12:42 AM, Lt_Jaeger said:

Had the same problem, you need to register with shapeway and lock into your account then

I registered.  So not seeing it.  What am I missing? 

Hmm saw it on Chrome at home but not at work or on my phone.  Nice!

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 5/3/2022 at 6:38 AM, lunaticfringe said:

Absolutely superb, Sooner.  Many thanks.  If you ever put a tip jar somewhere for this work, please link it here.

And for those wondering if they can do this in a basic printer volume: remove the back panel (by deleting the wire support bodies) and you can fit both panels in the basic volume of an Ender 3.

HSD Proofing.png

Yeah, these are designed for getting the most bang for buck printing through ShapeWays, because printing 1 part is cheaper than 2, I would separate all the caution light boxes too. I only have a 6" volume EPAX X1 resin printer, so I had SW print it all for me. I joined the kickstarter for the Ankermake M5 printer so all my other stuff I'd be printing on that starting this fall.

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

Very cool LASooner

thank you bro !!!

• Like 1

Tower : IN WIN D-Frame Red - Watercooling : EKWB (CM, CPU, CG) - Alim : Corsair RM1000x - CM : Asus Maximus XI Formula - CPU : Intel i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - CG : Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC 11Go - RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Go 3000Mhz - Windows 10 64 - DD System : 1To (2 SSD PCIe M.2 NvMe Samsung 970 Pro 500Go RAID 0) - Hotas : Virpil V.F.X Grip, MongoosT 50CM2 Throttle - Rudder : Thrustmaster TPR - VR Headset : HP Reverb - Monitor : Asus ROG PG348Q - Keyboard, Mouse : Steelseries

On 5/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, LASooner said:

You're a frigging super hero!!! Thanks!

• Like 1

Heya Dude,

So the side panels are 5 3/4 inch as is standard in all US fighters. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mycockpit.org/tutorials/Panelbuildingfocussedondimensions.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi9o-fyt-b3AhXGR2wGHTVsBvIQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3TrxgSDhX2sLG6QfvqwKVW

This doc is really good as a reference. 

I'll dig the page number up in a bit,but quite a few of us have released models and references of the front cockpit and seat.

If you need anything else let me know. 

Mumbles

• Like 2

Not sure if any of you need images of the F-14 throttle quadrant, but here is ours.  I'm one of the maintainers of F-14 BUNO:161426 at the Deland Naval Air Station Museum.  I can provide pictures of our aircraft as needed and upon request.  Unfortunately our canopy has been sealed by the Navy, so our throttle quadrant is the only cockpit item I can provide pictures of without looking through the canopy.  I'm at the museum most every saturday.  

image2 (4).jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, 75th ORD EOD Cheesecake said:

Unfortunately our canopy has been sealed by the Navy...

That's like a cake behind glass torture!

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

7 hours ago, 75th ORD EOD Cheesecake said:

Not sure if any of you need images of the F-14 throttle quadrant, but here is ours.  I'm one of the maintainers of F-14 BUNO:161426 at the Deland Naval Air Station Museum.  I can provide pictures of our aircraft as needed and upon request.  Unfortunately our canopy has been sealed by the Navy, so our throttle quadrant is the only cockpit item I can provide pictures of without looking through the canopy.  I'm at the museum most every saturday.  

image2 (4).jpeg

Hope you dont mind me asking, do they do that so they dont have to trash the cockpit removing all items that might be useful to Iran?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuart666 said:

Hope you dont mind me asking, do they do that so they dont have to trash the cockpit removing all items that might be useful to Iran?

I think the ITAR requirement gets a little overstated sometimes. Items directly in the cockpit are essentially repeaters for the real little black boxes that are in the avionics bays. If Iran wanted to send spies to steal the backup attitude indicator from a museum it would feel like a pretty poor use of resources on their part.

• Like 1

Well, to answer the common question, the Navy handles their displays differently than the other branches.  Our aircraft and the others like it are still wholly owned by the Navy and they have some weird mandates they want to enforce.   The impulse carts and Underseat Rocket Motor Pack (called us-rump) are removed from the seats, the survival kit is emptied, and the TID and RWR displays are pulled.  The displays are pulled because the navy considers them sensitive items, and because Iran still has their airframes, they likely won’t ever be returned to us.  I’ve always found that a little silly as there are HD LCD screens that are available commercially that can display the same stuff better than original equipment.  Most display tomcats never get their Martin bakers reinstalled as certifying the seats as inert is a pain in the backside, and often they will vanish into the night. Luckily we had ours certified inert and they remain where they should be, in the jet.  The Navy sealed our canopy in 2008 shortly after an incident where someone had acquired a M61 and was attempting to get the museum to buy it. NCIS got involved, pointed a bunch of guns at the old Vietnam vets that were there and a week later they bolted the canopy shut with a 3x5 inch steel plate.  She requires a significant amount of attention and love, as Florida is not kind to her. Embry Riddle has a group of students that spend time keeping her clean and manufacture various items for us.  They are currently manufacturing dummy AIM-9Ls for the jet.  Next semester they will be starting on AIM-7s.  I’ll post some other pictures here shortly.  Again, if anyone wants pics of specific things, I am at the museum on saturdays. 

Here is our aircraft during its service in VF-143

51A3E49C-175F-4B6C-84B9-419864B01ECE.jpeg

Here she is in her current VF-103 livery. 

0EF18A5F-D7AB-49F2-9EAA-E451FC410B23.jpeg

Embry Riddle students cleaning the tennis court. 

5FA57EAB-A5A4-418A-8499-436FD35033A2.jpeg

4BEB2988-72F4-4F76-900E-1DA141B331C9.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 75th ORD EOD Cheesecake said:

The start of the AIM-9 build. 

8E311CD6-025A-4D14-9F44-C94B61D9F677.jpeg

93E83EE4-AAC7-4017-A1DC-AFFDDA8C913E.jpeg

C10182BD-7CB2-4CA3-B1EB-550F3317E08F.jpeg

89A48B40-CE22-41CD-9DE1-5D0FE9583F91.jpeg

0F24C1DD-A696-45BF-8E3A-34A221AC21D8.jpeg

CF8BC7DD-AA2C-4692-AEC8-28793065125D.jpeg

I've seen a lot of y'alls work on the Tomcat Assn FB group, glad to see you here!

I'd love to get down and see both the Deland and Valiant Tomcats some day, got a friend out that way so what better excuse? I need to crawl around them and get some panel and reference photos as I've got some thoughts to check out on the engine nacelle differences between the A and B vs the D that was also scanned in making the DCS module. Technically I have 5 Tomcats in 3-5 hour driving distance but you guys seem to work really hard on that one and I'd love to see her.

One thing on the engine nacelles, I've seen these little "trap door" looking  ports or access holes. Look to be only on the left side of the engine, but some pics it looks like there's 2, sometimes just 1.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

With all the new bindings, what would be a good potentiometer for the emergency wing sweep axis?  If not also something with push and pull the handle it.  There's no way to actually do spider gear and have that synchronize with DCS is there? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Doesn't really need to be Tomcat accurate, either as I'd be looking at add something around the Virpil throttle.  Thinking more flat than curved, etc. Contemplating a larger thing to wrap around both sides if not also the front so I can do a wing flap lever on the outside. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Any Normal Pot will have more than enough travel for the wing sweep. So any basic 10K pot. 

There is 100% a way to have it behave EXACTLY like the real thing, but that's going to involve having it be driven by a motor running off DCS BIOS. And for easy packaging using a Hall sensor to see rotation angle of the handle. You can make the motor cutout when you lift the lever. But as for positive re-engagement, you're basically going to be building the exact mechanism. Or put up with it just being driven back to it's set position when you push it back down and the motor cuts back in. 

• Like 2

I've had similar thoughts about the auto throttle, if a mechanism similar to force feedback was added, connecting a motor with a belt drive to the throttles - and something like DCS BIOS could output the current position. In principle at least I think you could push through the motor to drive the throttle to a new position when in manual, but for the auto throttle if you went hands off the belt and motor could drive the throttle grips just as they do in the real jet.

6 hours ago, AH_Solid_Snake said:

I've had similar thoughts about the auto throttle, if a mechanism similar to force feedback was added, connecting a motor with a belt drive to the throttles - and something like DCS BIOS could output the current position. In principle at least I think you could push through the motor to drive the throttle to a new position when in manual, but for the auto throttle if you went hands off the belt and motor could drive the throttle grips just as they do in the real jet.

Yes although just direct drive or a simple gear train can work. You can either use a motor with a hall sensor, or a separate hall sensor or potentiometer that feeds back to the motor control. 

If you look at the Authentikit builds you can basically replace the damper with an output gear connected to a small stepper motor. If you’re real slick with driver code you can even get the stepper to act like a damper when you’re not in auto throttle.

Heck depending on how heavy your throw is, you could just use one of those hella big servos they use in giant R/C planes. There’s off the shelf servo driver boards for both Arduino and Pi. And servos work PWM not analog so that saves overhead.

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 11:13 AM, winghunter said:

Here are my PDF files for printing the panels on paper. Size: A4 (Europe)

https://easyupload.io/m/bnbbzz

image.png

re-upload

https://www.file.io/V18n/download/sfo3EFTX4rHX

• Like 2

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, I finally bit the bullet and started building this year, though not exactly an F-14 and not exactly an F-18 pit.  I'm just calling it a Horncat for now, because I fly both.

I definitely wanted the F-14 seat though, and started working from Mumbles' model from a while back, simplifying the whole pit design to make a simple VR-focused pit with some essentials like the gear and hook handles, but otherwise mostly mounting my HOTAS and pedals. 

I want to give a huge amount of thanks for that design work, by the way, it's a great layout for the whole F-14 pit.  I just wish I had that much room.

I opted to make most of the seat from timber rather than plywood, since I'm just getting used to a jigsaw, and adjusted the design to widen the base, and hopefully mount it to some car seat rails.

Base design as it is now is coming together, I'm just working out how I want to make cushions for the seat, since I'm aiming for something more comfortable than a sheet of plywood.  Currently measured out for a Winwing throttle, but I'd like to add a wingsweep handle if I can.

ss (2022-06-26 at 06.55.02).png

Here's the altered seat design, compared with Mumbles' original file in the background:

ss (2022-06-26 at 06.43.15).png

Current state as it exists now, with the side panels not yet attached:

ss (2022-06-26 at 06.46.05).jpg

The most "finished" part of it is actually the face curtain handle.  I spent some time messing with plumbing pipe in Home Depot, and came out with an assembly that I wrapped in some stripe cable sleeve I saw recommended on another sim forum for ejection handles.  Currently attached with a simple bungee cord, I'll eventually rig it to a pull-switch to function in the sim.. once I figure out how I'm doing wiring.

ss (2022-06-26 at 06.49.53).jpgss (2022-06-26 at 06.50.28).jpg

Right now, I'm just deep in the weeds of figuring out how to make a good set of functional seat cushions, and trying not to fall too deep down the upholstery rabbit hole.  Thanks all for the great inspiration here!

• Like 4

hi, I am planing to make  PDCP and AFCS panels recently, and I found this post, which is amazing!

Quick question, I have seen many guys are using different kinds of toggle switches, and does anyone knows what's the correct size of the toggle switches on AFCS and PDCP panel should I look for? 

Thanks!

Edited by a1133620002

Finished my ACM master arm cover

• Like 3

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD