Returning Oculus Rift CV1

WindyTX

OK so after months of waiting the Rift arrived.

I installed a GTX 1080 and a USB3.0 card

USB 3.0 card doesn't work

Rift connected fine for 20 mins while I was faffing then started disconnecting from the HDMI.

It would connect for a minute then disconnect. Kept doing this continuously.

I had DK2 it was great

I have Vive it is great.

Went online and saw a lot of people having similar problems.

I mailed Oculus and have asked to return it for a refund.

I figure I could buy a whole new Computer just to run it but don't want to with the Vive running fine.

Very disappointed I thought being CV1 it would be more plug and play than DK2 but appears to be quite the opposite. If they had not removed the DK2 IPD setting form Home I would have kept the DK2. But I was getting a headache really quick since its removal.

In summary the HDMI problem is really off putting so I am going to give up and return it.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

No problems with my 980. It isn't pleased with my USB 3.0 but HDMI is fine.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks Guys.

I am not gonna do a reinstall, and yes it whined about my old USB but worked for 30 mins as I said.

If it was just USB I would just get another card but HDMI is another matter.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

If you disable xHCI in the bios and use a usb 2 port does it help? I have a mobo that has usb issues and this solves a lot of them.

• Like 1

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

OK so I have had an expensive morning.

Took your replies on board.

USb 3.0 for Headset

USB2.0 for Sensor

It all decided to work :)

Framerates are way better than Vive especially in Multiplayer.

Graphics card usage is up to 35% ( A 30% increase than under Vive )

FOV is not as good and cockpits are all larger tho appear to be a negligable amount clearer.

Gonna Keep it now, the extra framrate is worth the extra. Hopefully the Devs will sort it for Vive players.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Some folks pointed out that if your 3.0 USB not providing required juice, you may experience what you have. Try to isolate and remove other power drains.

The CV1's HDMI is built out of Spec,

If the GFX Card doesnt put out a strong enough Signal on the HDMI Output, the rift wont turn on.

I'd Put the Sensor on USB 3.0, as there is a difference in tracking Performance from USB2 to USB3.

Alot of People are finding out they dont have enough AMPs on their Mainboard USB3 ports as well, I had similar issues at first (had to unplug all my USB 3.0 Drives).

Then I just sprung for the USB 3.0 card they recommended that way it would have it's own Power Supply Line.

The Sensor is ALOT more pickier when it comes to USB 3.0 Controllers, my Etron Controller was causing Fits and a few days it did not work.

The Headset only uses USB for Audio and Mini Controller etc.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

OK so I have had an expensive morning.

Took your replies on board.

USb 3.0 for Headset

USB2.0 for Sensor

It all decided to work :)

Framerates are way better than Vive especially in Multiplayer.

Graphics card usage is up to 35% ( A 30% increase than under Vive )

FOV is not as good and cockpits are all larger tho appear to be a negligable amount clearer.

Gonna Keep it now, the extra framrate is worth the extra. Hopefully the Devs will sort it for Vive players.

Glad you got it working :)

Can I ask would you kindly share your dcs settings and fps performance using the 1080.

I have a 970.and looking at upgrading to the 1080

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I will take a look later but just to say if you are running in VR use afterburner to check your graphics card in VR . Because in VR we are producing 2 images we run into a DX11 limit. Try Afterburner and see if you are maxing out your 970. Unfortunately its totally different from multi monitor . Skatezilla put an excellent explanation on the boards somewhere.

I saw no difference between 980 and 1080 inVR

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Ok have had it set up for an hour only and leave on vacation tomorrow. Back Saturday , havent looked at the pixel stuff so will try. My sig has my specs.

I will try today if I get some time but probably wont get to it till sunday soz.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

I will take a look later but just to say if you are running in VR use afterburner to check your graphics card in VR . Because in VR we are producing 2 images we run into a DX11 limit. Try Afterburner and see if you are maxing out your 970. Unfortunately its totally different from multi monitor . Skatezilla put an excellent explanation on the boards somewhere.

How find out wether my 970 is maxxed out die n VR? I have Zotac Firestorm as oc tool.

And really no difference? Sounds like there is things money can't buy. FPS in DCS, to name one.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Msi Afterburner will tell you graphics card usage as a percentage. Are you running in VR if not the test is meaningless sorry. VR is a different ballgame and yes I spent all the money for the 1080 and saw no perceptable inprovement :(

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Hi and thnk you. I'm currently using 60% of my oc msi970 and that's on low .

What can I do to change this . My specs really below

Yes problem is that upping settings tends to just run into the dx11 limit and the card will stay at the same utilization just with a load more judder :(

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Yep i am on low too if I turn up much it gives me way more judder. I have not had time to see when it becomes bad on Rift only on Vive which required low with no shadows 2×msaa to get acceptable performance. Graphics card stuck in 40% utilization.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Msi Afterburner will tell you graphics card usage as a percentage. Are you running in VR if not the test is meaningless sorry. VR is a different ballgame and yes I spent all the money for the 1080 and saw no perceptable inprovement :(

No need to be sorry, OR CV1 here. ;o) But DCS 1.5 gives me 17-30 FPS in Multiplayer and 30-45 FPS in singleplayer. I need to check for GPU Utilization. I did not try DCS 2 in MP as of yet, but I would expect higher FPS. Any chance the GTX 1080 pays off in DCS 2.0 in regards to OR CV1 performance. Whar do you think?

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

I can't get my card beyond 65% while using the rift.

Although I noticed in 1.5.3 I use 2556mb video memory.

But in 2.0 I use 4230mb of video memory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1.5.3 Release/Open Beta has been updated a bit more than 2.0.2 Alpha at this point.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sounds like you get judder all the time ? In which case even a gtx 980 would be a good update and they are down to about $270 used. I will try and get my framerates today if poss.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

OK I ran some tests. 1.5 latest Beta

Settings All set low preset then I changed

Medium Textures

Medium Visible Range

MSAA 4

Anti aliasing Off

Clutter minimum and Trees at 1500

Flat Shadows

1st on F15c instant action

Pixel 2.0 I got 90-45-30fps for 95% dropped to 10 FPS as the bombs hit the airfield.

Card ran up to 100% during that time and was averaging nearly 50% so about 15% more utilization.

Pixel 0 results were almost the same frame rate wise just less utilization still dropped to 10 FPS and maxed out the Card .

I could see no perceptible difference in the cockpit.

Ran 2.0 on A10c instant action wow I can read the hud. Frame rates stuck at 45-90fps Utilization of the 1080 was running around 60% around the town.

When I fly the A10c I will definitely be increasing the pixel density it looks to be an almost no cost Item with a GTX 1080

Overall it was a great VR time especially in the A10c with Pixel density 2.0

I have been using VR for 2 years and to finally be able to read the A10 HUD was a godsend.

The only Judder I got was when the bombs hit the Airfield May have maxed out my Processor.

Edited by WindyTX

GTX 1080 Has its uses