[warning - large images] had the chance to fly with the Huey (Bell 205A-1)

decipher

i hope its ok if i share these pictures directly in the huey forum section. i think fans of the DCSWorld Huey module can appreciate this!

Last Sunday they had the "Heliday 2016" at a local airlifting company in the sleepy german town of Ahlen. Apparently they are still operating some original Bell 205 models, also a bunch of 212s and other models. they are also some kind of official repair contractor to textron for europe.

there were lots of other helicopters and stuff to see (Lots of Jetrangers, a bk117, Bell412 and even a Super Puma), but i am not really the picture/video guy and rather want to enjoy the moment, instead of fiddling with camera/smartphone... so just some impressions:

D-HOOK - Bell 205A-1 - this looks familiar!

GqjHtNv.jpg

the Grey Bell 212 (D-HGPP) is landing, D-HOOK and D-HBWP (Augusta/bell AB-212AM) in the foreground

a LOT of people wanted to fly with a Helicopter... D-HOOK is loading the troops :)

xK6LFsZ.jpg

after waiting for 2 hours in line, in the scorching sun with no shadows to hide... i sat down in the middle seat right behind the Cockpit of D-HOOK.

i was staring at the instruments and how the pilot handled the huey much more than watching the beautiful landscape...

it was such a great experience to actually feel the huey fly. how it starts to shake and rattle and you feel the lift. he did some pretty nice 30° turns where you could look straight down through the side windows onto a lake, while flying around 1,300 feet at 80knots. loved it.

Radio menu -> Cargo -> load Troops

there are much better pictures and also a couple of videos from people with their fancy cameras all over the web i guess, if you are interested try googling for "heliday 2016" or "D-HOOK".

• Like 1

Nice...thanks for sharing

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Nice going! And that stick looks just like mine! ;)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

many thanks for sharing. I notice hes gripping the bottom of the stick and not the full thing. I guess that is how we should too.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

sweet !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

And it's readily apparent when using Komodo Cyclic. You can't do it with Warthog, but you can with Komodo. And it is *MUCH* easier to fly like that.

But in combat situations, I'm thinking you go to full hands on mode.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You grip the bottom so you can rest your arm on your upper leg. Makes your arm/hand more stable and thus a more relaxed flying technique. It's something that will get hammered on when first entering the cockpit.

Makes perfect sense since I started doing that for the same reason. I didn't know it was something that gets drilled into your head. For civilian flying, it makes a lot of sense.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

sadly i didn't get the chance to talk to the pilot, but obviously for him it was just a "normal" stressy workday, like a cab-driver. haha. he was literally just flying the same short 10 minutes hop around the area over and over again, while hundreds of people waited for their turn to get loaded up into the huey, the 212 and several 206s. occasionally one would fly over to the tanker truck and get fueled up a bit.

i did tip him on the shoulder and gave him a big thumbs up, before exiting the cabin though and probably was smiling like an idiot, which he acknowledged with a friendly nod.

it showed that he had probably thousands of flight hours with the huey, very casual and relaxed during each step of the short flight, but professional and cautious.

can't stop flying the huey in DCS now after this experience, even more than before :)

nice find. yeah nowadays almost everyone is recording with their smartphones or fancy digicams. its crazy sometimes, so many people just stare at their recording screen all the time!

the video is actually from that very same day, just from later that day, i can tell by the clouds in the distance, cloudy weather moved in throughout late afternoon :D