Evolution of a Low Level helicopter slalom.

Holbeach

I bought the Gazelle a couple of days ago so I thought I'd try it on the slalom course I made, to get to know the Huey. This helicopter is much more twitchy than the Huey, so I crashed about half way around the course.

Give it a try if your brave enough.

Edited by Holbeach
Grammar.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

3 hrs flying is the the time it has taken me to realize you can't fly this like a Huey. It's more like a sports bike and it needs a very light touch to make it respond very precisely. I'm loving it now and it didn't take very long for that light bulb moment. when you know you're over the hump.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Cool!! I'd like to know your pc components and which configuration do you have into DCS. How many fps do you have?

I've put my specs in the sig. All settings are on full and fps pegged at 60. Huey constant 60, Gazelle 30 to 60, Ka 50 and Mi 8 45 to 60, although in practice I never notice the difference.

If you want to give it a try, I've added the mission. I've run the whole length in the Gazelle, but so far only in 2 parts, as I can't make it all the way without crashing :lol:

GL.

Mountain power lines .miz

Edited by Holbeach
Added fps info.

**edited for sounding too rude**

Have another try. :)

This vid marks the route of this training mission, which I'm using to get to grips with the handling of the Gazelle. I reduced the fuel from 100% to 50%, but still didn't make it up the mountain where I lost control and hit the wires.That point marks the start of the most difficult part of the route. GL to anyone who wants to try it.

Note: There are Trackir problems in this.

Edited by Holbeach
Added note.

This is the 2nd part of the NOE slalom, designed to help improve handling the Gazelle and continuing on from where I crashed climbing the mountain in the last vid. Fuel is 100%, collective reduced to 90% saturation, 20 curve, roll reduced to 70% saturation, pitch at 100% Follow the containers and stay under the wires, but don't do a landing like this, I haven't got the hang of that part yet. Ha Ha.

Please note, this is not about how to fly the Gazelle, I'm still a learner, it's simply to define the route.

I've removed the curve from the collective, as that didn't work out.

Edited by Holbeach

• 4 months later...

This mission stopped working, due to a massive frame hit, but now it's running OK.

Nobody took up the challenge to run the course.

Maybe it's just too difficult. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It was possible to fly passengers once on this Sa342, powerful spinner, with enough power margin.

And then IMHO reduced margin.

He flew at the helm of As350, real helicopter easier to control than here Sa342

Yes, all the controls of the minimum movement, the helicopter responsive.

Well done on completing the course. :thumbup:

It's not easy in the Gazelle.

• 1 month later...
Is the mission gone? Do you think its too tight of a race track for ka50?

It's not too tight.

You can see it flown here, in this video by Penshoon.

This thread also contains the mission.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167089&page=6

Edited by Holbeach

I bought the Gazelle a couple of days ago so I thought I'd try it on the slalom course I made, to get to know the Huey. This helicopter is much more twitchy than the Huey, so I crashed about half way around the course.

Give it a try if your brave enough.

Give me Gazelle, and I would post "bravery"... :)

How do you dudes record vids?.... I never did it before.

I saved a run and then converted it to an uncompressed AVI in DCS but it is a whopping 26 Gigs. is this normal? will it be shrunk in "ITube"?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

You will need to compress that file with an editor.

I use Sony Vegas, but there are freeware programs out there that will do it.

The 1st vid lasting 4.17 mins was recorded with Shadowplay at 60 fps and rendered to 29 fps for 433mb upload ( about 2 hrs.).

Part 2 was 5.30 mins ( about 1.5 gb) and rendered to 60 fps and 850 mb upload about 5 hrs. all in MP4.

I believe it is possible to upload AVI to Youtube, but it would take me a very long time.

GL..

Edited by Holbeach