Question about the F-5 before purchasing it

I am considering to buy this module. So much inviting even because it grants bonus points

However there is one thing that keeps preventing me in my mind to buy it.

I am totally fine with it having no ILS/IFF/[insert three random letters here] and whatever. It just adds more challenge

But is there the possibility -even in the future- for the F-5 to carry 4 AAMs?

As an A-10C owner I feel the need to have a more fighter oriented aircraft, although not a dedicated one, and the F-5 looks just perfect to me.

I know it is not comparable but A10 itself carries already 2 sidewinders, so do our almighty training aircrafts

| A-10C | MiG-21bis | Hawk T1.A | L-39 Albatros | F-5E | Ka-50 | Mi-8 | NTTR | CA | SU27 | M2000C | F-86F | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Mig 15 | Mig 19|

Specs

Intel i7-9700k

msi GTX 2060 Gaming Z

msi Z390 Gaming PLUS

16gb RAM

Hotas Warthog

F-5E is a Short Range Light Attack Aircraft,

Not a Missile truck, Guns Baby, Guns.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

But is there the possibility -even in the future- for the F-5 to carry 4 AAMs?

It's more likely to get AGM-65 from what I've read BST devs saying on the forums.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was easy to mod extra AIM-9s under the wings but afaik none of the original unupgraded F-5Es from the 1970s like this one carried 4 sidewinders.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-5E is a Short Range Light Attack Aircraft,

Not a Missile truck, Guns Baby, Guns.

you cant really call "attack" aircraft, since it was never intended to be dedicated or specialized for just that 1 role, but rather it is in actuality a light "multi role" fighter :/.

although primarily as a economical export option. I think that is a more fair description of the F5E.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

It's more likely to get AGM-65 from what I've read BST devs saying on the forums.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was easy to mod extra AIM-9s under the wings but afaik none of the original unupgraded F-5Es from the 1970s like this one carried 4 sidewinders.

Honestly, I'd much prefer to get the Maverick. Two missiles is a small limitation; NO A-G PGMs is a BIG limitation. Maverick would open up entirely new mission profiles for it.

2 missiles or 4 missiles are actually not a huge difference capability wise it mostly depends on how careful you are when using them (as not to waste them)

for example the Mirage 2000 has 4 missiles (2x IR and 2X radar as standard load)

and for a long time the IR guided missile was responsible for atleast 70% of kills.

And you only had two of those (today you can get 4)

But it was not at all uncommon to get 2 kills with those 2 missiles.

As long as you fired within launch parameters.

And also the Guns/Gunsight combo for the F-5E make it a very effective gunfighter.

So if we compare it to the Mig 21 the avg pilot (someone who has not mastered the Mig-21s much less usefull gunsight)

The F-5E is capable to get as many or more kills in a sortie

(even if the Mig-21 can carry 2-4 more missiles then the F-5E)

And especially if we get the All aspect Aim-9P4 (Or P5) then your missiles should be very effective so if you use them well and within launch parameters you it should not be difficult to get a high hitpercentage with the missiles.

And if you get 1-2 kills with the Missiles and then 1-2 more with guns (more should be possible but it depends on pilots accuracy with guns and trigger discipline)

So if you come out with a potential avg of atleast 2-4 kills per sortie then thats not at all bad for this type of fighter and at that point you are likely getting low on fuel anyway.

the F-5E is not Air Superiority fighter.

Oh but it is.... Just a inexpensive one

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 missiles or 4 missiles are actually not a huge difference capability wise it mostly depends on how careful you are when using them (as not to waste them)

for example the Mirage 2000 has 4 missiles (2x IR and 2X radar as standard load)

and for a long time the IR guided missile was responsible for atleast 70% of kills.

And you only had two of those (today you can get 4)

But it was not at all uncommon to get 2 kills with those 2 missiles.

As long as you fired within launch parameters.

And also the Guns/Gunsight combo for the F-5E make it a very effective gunfighter.

So if we compare it to the Mig 21 the avg pilot (someone who has not mastered the Mig-21s much less usefull gunsight)

The F-5E is capable to get as many or more kills in a sortie

(even if the Mig-21 can carry 2-4 more missiles then the F-5E)

And especially if we get the All aspect Aim-9P4 (Or P5) then your missiles should be very effective so if you use them well and within launch parameters you it should not be difficult to get a high hitpercentage with the missiles.

And if you get 1-2 kills with the Missiles and then 1-2 more with guns (more should be possible but it depends on pilots accuracy with guns and trigger discipline)

So if you come out with a potential avg of atleast 2-4 kills per sortie then thats not at all bad for this type of fighter and at that point you are likely getting low on fuel anyway.

Well said. It's all about maximizing the capabilities. Part of the fun/challenge.

It is 1.5.x compatible though?

It's not out yet, so nobody knows whether 1.5 will even exists when it is available, much less whether the F5 will work with it.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It's not out yet, so nobody knows whether 1.5 will even exists when it is available, much less whether the F5 will work with it.

But they are already selling it.. and if its only nevada compatible, they should express it in the shop.

My guess here its that it will be 2.0 compatible at launch and then 1.5 a sometime later.. unless we get an early 2.5 release

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

Well, at least here in Brazil, our Tigers were capable to carry more than two AAM, even before the current modernized version with modern avionics including the FIAR Grifo-F and other stuff.

F-5E-Tiger-II-FAB.jpg

But for me, no problems with the default load, I was testing the Sidewinder that will be available for the F-5E in game with the F-15 and I managed to score 3 kills, it's not soooo good as the 9M but if you use it correctly you can hit some stuff.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

But they are already selling it.. and if its only nevada compatible, they should express it in the shop.

My guess here its that it will be 2.0 compatible at launch and then 1.5 a sometime later.. unless we get an early 2.5 release

I would love to pre-purchase, but i can't afford to get nevada right now and I don't want to spend the money if it's not 100% going to work with 1.5

Every aircraft module sold for DCS either works or will work in all supported versions of the game. The F-5E will likely have a staggered release, with either 1.5 or 2.0 coming first and the other a week later. Which comes first is anyone's guess, we've seen it go both ways recently. Regardless, it will be present in both versions of the game and in the 2.5 combined version whenever that comes. I really don't get where people are getting this idea that you have to buy a map to use a plane. That's never been done in DCS and I don't think it will ever work that way.

Well, at least here in Brazil, our Tigers were capable to carry more than two AAM, even before the current modernized version with modern avionics including the FIAR Grifo-F and other stuff.

But for me, no problems with the default load, I was testing the Sidewinder that will be available for the F-5E in game with the F-15 and I managed to score 3 kills, it's not soooo good as the 9M but if you use it correctly you can hit some stuff.

But even Brazilian F-5Es did not come with the ability to carry 4 Air-Air missiles as standard.

And if some Brazilian F-5Es did have the ability to carry 4 missiles before the EM modernisation then it must have been done with a seperate upgrade soon before

(as it was a upgrade that was not available untill atleast the early 21st century)

Every aircraft module sold for DCS either works or will work in all supported versions of the game. The F-5E will likely have a staggered release, with either 1.5 or 2.0 coming first and the other a week later. Which comes first is anyone's guess, we've seen it go both ways recently. Regardless, it will be present in both versions of the game and in the 2.5 combined version whenever that comes. I really don't get where people are getting this idea that you have to buy a map to use a plane. That's never been done in DCS and I don't think it will ever work that way.

This! Nothing else to say about that :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg