TRACKIR 5 Zoom DEFAULTING TO +10%

Hey everyone, First off, thanks for taking the time to read this!

I'm typing this up because the forums "search functions" aren't resulting in anything useful to my issue. But the issue is, Whenever iload into a cockpit ANY COCKPIT AT ALL, but it's most notably in the UH-1H Huey... It loads the cockpit, And then starts slowly zooming out towards its "default position" of what the view SHOULD BE! And then it gets there and i think "ok cool we're ready to start the aircraft up!" And the instant i hit ANY KEY whether it's my trackir's "recenter view" button or any button for starting up the aircraft, or EVEN if i suddenly remember i need to pull my throttle back to zero after having flown a different aircraft! so the moment i put ANY INPUT, The zoom goes to about +10% or so, And then that is the new default! So from that point on, no matter what i do, the zoom defaults to that!

I have an X-55 Rhino stick, And usually i have the view-zoom axis set to the underside axis/wheel on the throttle, and the "Recenter view" is mapped to the wheel on the left so i can hit it with my pinky-finger , so i won't have to take my hands off the stick if i'm trying to keep eyes on a small ground target or being able to see a missile launch from range etc... And so thinking that might be the problem, i tried setting my "ZOOM-AXIS" To my forward head movement and later even setting it to a DIFFERENT AXIS WHEEL!... Still same results! i've even tried setting my "TRACKIR 5's PROFILE" From the one i use which has been altered and fine tuned to my preferences to using the "DEFAULT" profile with nothing altered not even the rebinding of keys. (i usually rebind the view re-center key to my HOTAS so i dont have to take my hands off the stick or throttle.

So in closing... Any ideas?

Again!,... thanks for taking the time to read this!

Edited by 00Donkey

i think you missunderstood my question, i read that forum post, and yes unlike his post, i think it's completely normal for it to slowly zoom out, it's just how it works at the moment. My problem is when it stops, the moment i use ANY INPUT whether its an axis-input like throttle OR ANY KEY inputs whether that is keyboard or from my HOTAS' buttons, the view JUMPS to +10% zoom and that becomes the new default even though i've waited for it to stop zooming out already... and then i have to manually zoom it out and sometimes it doesnt stay there, but the real issue here is that the "default FOV it seems is too far zoomed forward when it already STARTS UP and zooms out to the PROPER DISTANCE, it gets there! and the moment i put any input *POOF* it jumps to +10% zoom... (i know i already typed that description but i really want to be clear on whats happening since nobody here can SEE it happen) (capitalized important aspects of my sentences without realizing i could've just "italicized them" just to be clear thats not me yelling at anyone)

You have an axis assigned to ZOOM/FOV function that interferes with your setup or you just don't understand how snapviews work. Have you tried setting up your def snapviews with FOV you desire as default?

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Would you like to try my files, what aircrafts you would like to be set up?

tail# 44 or 444

ok update: i've now realized it's my default FoV that for some reason it's defaulting to 80 degrees instead of 90, and when i went to look into my graphics settings within DCS, my Aspect ratio should say 16:10 although some games requires 16:9 but anyways i have a 1920x1080 27inch monitor and in the DCS settings it says my aspect ratio is set at 1.7777777777778 which is the WIERDEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED to DCS in my opinion! If i can't figure this out here this is obviously something i'll have to contact tech support about.

No, that is just math. 1920:1080=1.77.. 16:9=1.77.. ratio, just check on calculator. I'll send you my LUA for view configuration later today. You will place then in

%UserName% / Saved Games / DCS / Config / View

Confirm you know how to operate your Saved Games configuration files outside DCS WORLD with file manager or file Explorer

List me all modules you own.

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

Well you seem no longer to reply to this thread then I assume you have resolved your problem and understand now display ratio has nothing to do with it.

Anyways, here are my files to get you started. Specially tweaked for TIR. Remember to use Notepad++ free editor to edit LUA files if needed.

Happy flying.

View.rar

• Like 1

tail# 44 or 444

No, that is just math. 1920:1080=1.77.. 16:9=1.77.. ratio, just check on calculator. I'll send you my LUA for view configuration later today. You will place then in

%UserName% / Saved Games / DCS / Config / View

Confirm you know how to operate your Saved Games configuration files outside DCS WORLD with file manager or file Explorer

List me all modules you own.

HEY! Sorry, i havent been able to answer back lately, iam a live in caregiver for a 90 year old elderly gentleman who is terminally ill, and for the past month he has been in a nursing home, and he just got home on Friday, So i have been running myself Ragged, just trying to keep him feeling as comfortable as i can! So i havent had time to log into the forums!

But, as for my issue with my view distance i am still having the same issue! I've even tried deleting my snap views folder and starting over with a default blank one. But anywyays, As for the Modules i have,...i have them ALL! i own every DCS Module and they are ALL having this problem,, where every one of them has a default view of 90 degrees field of view and the moment i press a button, then it jumps to 80 degrees of field of view! When i start the game the field of view starts at the normal width of 90 degrees, and then suddenly narrows to about 80 degrees (so it feels like its zooming in slightly) The MOMENT that i move any axis/throttle or press ANY Button, if you have View LUA's for Every released DCS module i need them all! because i have every module sold except the F-5E and that is only because it's not in beta yet. So look at it this way, i need ALL of your View .LUA files. (all the ones that will force mine to default field of view.)

I gave you my files, try them. Attached to previous post.

tail# 44 or 444

I'm having the same or similar issue (same Hotas) .. same default zoom issue.

Of course I do know how to setup my Default Views.

But it is getting to be a pain in the you-know-what that every time there is a patch or update, something else gets broken.

I'm a bit pissed that after flying the Gazelle for a month (if you can call if flying), now it won't accept my NEW Hotas Inputs (have to change a bunch of them) and my TIR is all out of wack and doesn't seem to want to be fixed.

Lastly, the Fire Weapon/Rockets won't accept my inputs/changes.

I guess it's going to be just like the Mustang.

Might as well park the damn thing for a few months until everyone is done messing around with it. THEN try to learn it ONCE ... not relearn every bloody time there is another Fun-Wrecking Update.

SnowTiger:joystick:

I have just WASTED yet another 2 hours dicking around with controls/settings/options, Hotas etc etc etc.

Even the Default Zoom in the Gazelle is half angled to the left now.

I am running into things I have NEVER had to deal with. Even after Completely Remapping the Gazelles Controls (which one should NEVER have to do IMO), and restarting DCS multiple times, I still haven't even started the stupid thing up yet. Not one minute of flight in 2 hours !

This is really becoming more hassle than it was worth to me. I'm gradually, if not rapidly, loosing my interest in DCS Anything !

Sorry for sounding pissy, but I'm sure I'm not the only one ... just maybe the only one willing to admit it.

Yeah i would just try those files that "Shamandgg" gave me a few posts ago, i havent had time to try them myself as the elderly gentleman whom i rent a room from has just passed away on hospice care. (But no need for condolences he was lucky and went in his sleep and was only one month away from his ninety first birthday!) ...But anyways try those out , but just make sure you move your current "views" Files and your current "throttle and stick both seperate files/folders out onto your desktop or somewhere else before you try loading in someone else's Files so that way you can put yours back if you need to if for somereason his files don't fix the issue.

Good Luck bud and may your patience with these cheap X-55's be strong! LOL! (i know my patience with it is Wearing thin!) And even though i'm on disability, and get almost zero extra income every month, it may be time to dig through couch cushions and scrap and save for months if i have to to finally get a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup!

I actually like my X-55.

The only problem I ever had with it was when I first installed the software/drivers etc, I didn't have a Profiler Icon in my Task Tray.

I can't even remember how I got it to work but it has worked ever since.

My problem is more with changes/updates/patches etc from DCS that constantly have us remapping it, thus requiring relearning and forgetting everything learned or practiced to that point. It just seems to be more frustrating than it's worth, especially considering the financial investment(s) made with hopes of actually having FUN !

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so i downloaded your files. and even made double sure to follow the diretions in the readme file. and still same problem. It feels like what the game is doing is somehow the snapviews have been set or saved at a 60 to 80 degree field of view and whenever i load up any mission whastsoever but most noteable in the uh-1h due tot eh way the cockpit layout is. the game loads up, zooms out slowly the way its supposed to... then the moment i even so much touch a single input for example "Moving the throttle forward to increase the Collective"... the view instantly jumps to the more zoomed-in view of about 60 to 80 degrees of field of view, and when i use the wheel i usually have bound to control my zoom to zoom it out, the moment i adjust it so the dash isnt in my face, the instant i touch the throttle again, the zoom begins jumping all over the place in and out again and again until the throttle sits still, then the view sits still again... it's as if somehow the view is being controlled by both the throttle thrust-axis and the wheel i use for zoom is also controlling it... . its the wierdest thing. I've read other forum posts where i've seen people say it was this or it was that, even going through and making sure i didn't have Track-ir "Z" axis bound to anything other than "camera absolute longitudinal shift"...i can't figure this out... so far the only thing that makes it stop is turning off Track-I.R. but thats not an option for me since it provides so much immersion and situational awareness!

ok so after a LOT more in-depth at home testing i've figured out that SOMEHOW my Throttle's "X-AXIS" (The right side lever for the split throttle) Is SOMEHOW being tied to the "reset View" input, because after disabling track-ir completely... I tried binding it to my collective and although it would work as a collective, anytime i used the field of view zoom out or in buttons, (via keyboard commands) It would immediately re-center my field of view to about 70 or 80degrees whenever i touch that throttle lever, it doesnt do it on IL2 Bos and doesn't do it on Falcon-BMS 4.33! This boggles my mind!

ok so after a LOT more in-depth at home testing i've figured out that SOMEHOW my Throttle's "X-AXIS" (The right side lever for the split throttle) Is SOMEHOW being tied to the "reset View" input, because after disabling track-ir completely... I tried binding it to my collective and although it would work as a collective, anytime i used the field of view zoom out or in buttons, (via keyboard commands) It would immediately re-center my field of view to about 70 or 80degrees whenever i touch that throttle lever, it doesnt do it on IL2 Bos and doesn't do it on Falcon-BMS 4.33! This boggles my mind!

Further UPDATE: After figuring out that the throttle is inputting a Ghost command whenever i move the right hand side of the split-throttle-arms,... i decided to try different USB Ports to see if if perhaps the USB wasn't producing the proper voltage to the throttle, and if that cuould be the issue, and apparently i get the same results no matter where i plug it in,

So after just getting off the phone with Saitek's "Tech-Supoort" they said i needed a "powered USB HUB" (in other words a USB HUB that has a power-supply that you plug into your wall... I've got one somewhere but i'll have to dig for it later because it's in a box inside my closet somewhere.

But i still think this is a wiring issue... I've seen so many pictures of how the insides of the X-55's Throttle will actually dig's into the housings for the wires and will "PINCH" them causing breakages! Which is a problem that could be simply fixed with one of those condensing-Nylon-Mesh-Sleeves which are usually used to hold bundles of wires to protect from wear and tear, but the X-55 Q.C. Department doesn't think thats important. (AND i hear the NEW X-56's design, the throttle part has the same problem despite countless customers putting pictures up of the wiring pinched or ground to shreds by the inside of the controls.)

I'll update this again once i get my USB HUB out of my closet and test the throttle with that.

yah so i found my only powered USB HUB, but unfortunately the power-cord i have i thought was for it ...was the wrong one, and upon plugging it in, i immediately could smell the electronics "starting to "Cook" the insides of the power-hub, so i unplugged it, and have resolved to just go to best-buy and get a new one on the first of the month when i get paid. *Sigh*