Oculus CV1 Received today

Raz_Specter

Hi Guys

My Oculus CV1 arrived today, i have installed everything and have been having a blast with the games like Lucky's Tail etc.

I jumped in the A10C in LIVE but the resolution on the text in the cockpit is atrocious, with virtually my head pressed against a dial i can just read the text. I haven't tried the A10C in 2.0 yet but did try the Huey and that was the same. Is there some recommended settings that i need to following to get the best from the rift within DCS?

I flew the Gazelle for about 5 mins and had to stop as it made me feel really sick lol - all that swaying going on, I guess i just need to get used to it.

Thanks for the feedback in advance, system specs are in my signature.

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

thanks for the reply, however how come people like Bunyap say he can read his dials and i cannot.

Additionally, when i start in the A10C its like my nose is 3 inches from the main front console, the only way i can move it back so far is to sit really far back, is there a recenter key or zoom function that is available?

Thanks

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew the Gazelle for about 5 mins and had to stop as it made me feel really sick lol - all that swaying going on, I guess i just need to get used to it.

i havent touched DCS yet. im trying to build my VR legs, i feel some what queasy in assetto corsa. im going for 30 mins a day and increase little by little

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Go to the Oculus thread, and find the info on using the SDK to bump the pixel density. It makes the cockpit gauges and labels much easier to read. Enjoy! Got mine yesterday!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

thanks for the reply, however how come people like Bunyap say he can read his dials and i cannot.

Additionally, when i start in the A10C its like my nose is 3 inches from the main front console, the only way i can move it back so far is to sit really far back, is there a recenter key or zoom function that is available?

Thanks

numpad-5 will recenter you

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Performnce HUD

Just started usig CV1 could someone post the figures they see when the debug tool performance HUD is displayed in game, I currently run a i7 950 @4.00 with a 970. I'm currently seeing some high latency number and dropped frames. Would really like to see some number from people running i5 6600K on 970 or above.

AMD 7800X3D, MSI PRO X670-P WIFI (AM5)32GB RGB DDR5 6000MHz Nvidia 4090

HP Reverb G2

HOTAS Virpil CM3 Joystick Throttle & Pedals

Just got my CV1 yesterday. Love it, I bought it for DCS essentially, after using the dk2 with no issues other then the resolution. I'm using the DCS world 1.5 and 2.0 not steam but am not able to use the rift. The auto detect tab is selected and the rift turns on but goes to the rift store and I can't view through the rift. The monitor displays it perfectly. Any advice on how to get it to view on the rift and not the monitor would be greatly appreciated?

Go to the Oculus thread, and find the info on using the SDK to bump the pixel density. It makes the cockpit gauges and labels much easier to read. Enjoy! Got mine yesterday!

Thanks for the reply, do you have a link for this?

Cheers

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Without using the SDK to set the pixel density forget reading the dials. Changing the pixel density to 1.5 and above literally transforms the sim. You can easily do 1.8 to 2.0 with your 1080. I couldn't read the Huey at all until I used 1.5. I run at 1.8 now with my 1080. It's still not going to be as clear as your monitor but it's night and day clearer with 1.8 than with 0.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Just got my CV1 yesterday. Love it, I bought it for DCS essentially, after using the dk2 with no issues other then the resolution. I'm using the DCS world 1.5 and 2.0 not steam but am not able to use the rift. The auto detect tab is selected and the rift turns on but goes to the rift store and I can't view through the rift. The monitor displays it perfectly. Any advice on how to get it to view on the rift and not the monitor would be greatly appreciated?

You may need to go into the settings of the store window and turn off only allow authorised apps or something. this will let DCS take control of the rift

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK i have managed to locate teh SDK from the Oculus site I have downloaded Version 1.4 and also 1.3

Extracting the zip file to C:\OculusSDK

and then launching

Launching 1.4 OcculusDebugTool and changing the pixel density to 1.5 doesn't work for me, all i get when i minimize the SDK and try to launch DCS is a blank screen within the headset. Checking my physical screen shows the standard DCS small window as expected.

So i thought maybe DCS doesn't support 1.4 So i launch 1.3 and change the Pixel Density to 1.5 as soon as i hit enter the program stops responding.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mith

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ok figured it out, if you start the SDK and then Oculus home then DCS nothing happens, just a blank screen

If you start SDK then Oculus Home, then close the SDK and then run DCS it works.

Yeah i agree the quality of the cockpit are defo not as good as the monitor, which i find a little surprising to be honest.

My first time, i jumped into a Gazelle within 6 seconds i had the headset off and felt really sick :( not a great start. I then tried a A10C, no problems if you are going straight, however when you start to turn etc the sickness comes back a little depending on what maneuver you are doing. I am going to try and spend 10 mins each day in the cockpit with the rift and hopefully i will get used to it :)

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first time, i jumped into a Gazelle within 6 seconds i had the headset off and felt really sick :( not a great start.

Helicopter flight is far better in VR. That said the very thing that makes helicopter flight better in VR also has a downside, if you start doing anything unexpected or un-commanded it's far more likely to make you feel sick, pretty darned quick. I think, because a normal aircraft tends to go in an expected direction, more of the time, it is far easier on the stomach. I haven't got far enough, or been tempted to test whether helicopters and VRlegs improve with experience.

First Week with the Oculus Rift and DCS

Hi Guys

I just wanted to jot down my experience so far with DCS.

The rift arrived last Thursday, I installed it and played Lucky's Tail, WOW what an awesome experience, along with EVE Val.

After a few hours I decided to try DCS, jumped into a Gazelle first (BIG MISTAKE) within a minute the headset was off and I was feeling sick. I was feeling very deflated at this point, I thought ok, let’s try a fixed wing, jumped into the A10C, looked at the dashboard and thought what the hell is going on here, I cannot read anything. After some poking about on the web and reading something about Pixel Density I thought well that must be the solution.

I downloaded the SDK 1.4 from the Oculus site and extracted to my C drive, launched the OculusDebugTool and set the Pixels Per Display to 2.0

Launched Oculus home and then launched DCS, nothing but a black screen, hmmm what the hell is going on here I thought. After messing about a bit I worked out that the process is as follows

1. Launch OculusDebugTool tool and set the Pixels Per Display to 2.0

2. Launch Oculus Home

3. CLOSE the debug tool as you will get a very choppy experience in Oculus Home

4. Launch DCS

Hey its working, jumped into the A10, hmmmm, still cannot read the dials very well, doesn’t look like much of a difference.

On a test this morning I jumped into the KA-50 in 2.0 and checked out my FPS, taking off from the airfield I am getting on average 40 to 60 FPS. I have ready that there is a magic 90 that needs to be hit. Would buying another 1080 allow me to reach this magical number? As I don’t really want to compromise on the quality settings. When flying the A10C on my 4K screen with everything maxed on average I am getting 80 to 120 FPS

In the last month I have bought the EVGA 1080, which highlighted a problem with the PSU, bought a 1000watt PSU and a Oculus Rift. Expensive to get something that isn’t what I expected and creates motion sickness. I reviewed multiple videos were people have said that they are able to read the text. Am I doing something wrong here?

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Guys

I just wanted to jot down my experience so far with DCS.

The rift arrived last Thursday, I installed it and played Lucky's Tail, WOW what an awesome experience, along with EVE Val.

After a few hours I decided to try DCS, jumped into a Gazelle first (BIG MISTAKE) within a minute the headset was off and I was feeling sick. I was feeling very deflated at this point, I thought ok, let’s try a fixed wing, jumped into the A10C, looked at the dashboard and thought what the hell is going on here, I cannot read anything. After some poking about on the web and reading something about Pixel Density I thought well that must be the solution.

I downloaded the SDK 1.4 from the Oculus site and extracted to my C drive, launched the OculusDebugTool and set the Pixels Per Display to 2.0

Launched Oculus home and then launched DCS, nothing but a black screen, hmmm what the hell is going on here I thought. After messing about a bit I worked out that the process is as follows

1. Launch OculusDebugTool tool and set the Pixels Per Display to 2.0

2. Launch Oculus Home

3. CLOSE the debug tool as you will get a very choppy experience in Oculus Home

4. Launch DCS

Hey its working, jumped into the A10, hmmmm, still cannot read the dials very well, doesn’t look like much of a difference.

On a test this morning I jumped into the KA-50 in 2.0 and checked out my FPS, taking off from the airfield I am getting on average 40 to 60 FPS. I have ready that there is a magic 90 that needs to be hit. Would buying another 1080 allow me to reach this magical number? As I don’t really want to compromise on the quality settings. When flying the A10C on my 4K screen with everything maxed on average I am getting 80 to 120 FPS

In the last month I have bought the EVGA 1080, which highlighted a problem with the PSU, bought a 1000watt PSU and a Oculus Rift. Expensive to get something that isn’t what I expected and creates motion sickness. I reviewed multiple videos were people have said that they are able to read the text. Am I doing something wrong here?

You need to launch Oculus Home first, then OculusDebugToo, and last DCS..

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

DCS interaction with the Rift is still awaiting an update that will negate the need for the SDK software to adjust pixel density.

It is also early days in regard to optimising DCS, and we can, I am sure, expect some improvements to frame rates etc.

The motion sickness, you will probably find, should be pretty easy to overcome once you have aclimatised. The advice seems to be to keep sessions short initially, and then once you are more used to it, you will be able to use it for longer.

It may also be that you personally have problems with VR, and how you react physiologically, but only time will tell.

You are right that this is a very expensive experiment, and I hope you find things improving.

Bottom line - if things aren't perfect now, they will at least be getting more attention, and optimisation, both in the Rift software, and it's interaction with DCS World over time.

Hang in there a little longer.

I had a Vive for less than 2 weeks (HMU failed-returned). I don't mind the lower res but it was to low to be enjoyable. Hopefully the pixel density option will help with that. I have a Rift ordered and will re-order a Vive when my credit card has been credited from the return. I will also look at the OSVR HDK 2 as it has a sub pixel feature to its screen.

Motion sickness - I am an 11,000 hour fixed wing and helicopter pilot. I had the Vive on, excited to fly the Huey (an aircraft that I have flown about 300 hours fighting forest fires) I wanted to hurl after one turn of my head! This also happens to me in fixed base simulators. The Bell 407 sim at Bell Training Academy is the worst. The best advice I can give is thinking out loud what you are doing. If I am turning right I tell myself I am banking right so my mind keeps aligned with what I am seeing vs what I am not feeling. After about an hour of just flying basic maneuvers I slowly acclimated but still was affected by random moments of nausea. It seemed to me the helicopters induced this more than the jets. On a positive note the helicopter flying was great. On a 2D screen I am always settling with power and totally frustrated with the sim. With the VR it was nature, no settling with power - total control in hovering and all maneuvers.

I had a Vive for less than 2 weeks (HMU failed-returned). I don't mind the lower res but it was to low to be enjoyable. Hopefully the pixel density option will help with that. I have a Rift ordered and will re-order a Vive when my credit card has been credited from the return. I will also look at the OSVR HDK 2 as it has a sub pixel feature to its screen.

Motion sickness - I am an 11,000 hour fixed wing and helicopter pilot. I had the Vive on, excited to fly the Huey (an aircraft that I have flown about 300 hours fighting forest fires) I wanted to hurl after one turn of my head! This also happens to me in fixed base simulators. The Bell 407 sim at Bell Training Academy is the worst. The best advice I can give is thinking out loud what you are doing. If I am turning right I tell myself I am banking right so my mind keeps aligned with what I am seeing vs what I am not feeling. After about an hour of just flying basic maneuvers I slowly acclimated but still was affected by random moments of nausea. It seemed to me the helicopters induced this more than the jets. On a positive note the helicopter flying was great. On a 2D screen I am always settling with power and totally frustrated with the sim. With the VR it was nature, no settling with power - total control in hovering and all maneuvers.

What frame rate are you able to maintain? In 1.5, I get buttery smooth response with Rift, and little judder with Vive. There's still lot of tinkering that you have to do to get VR working properly - starting with hardware rig. Can you tell us what your HW looks like?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

40-60fps works fine for me with no issues because ATW makes it smooth. I prefer to set things high and let ATW handle the rest. I average 60-90 in 1.5 and 45-90 in 2.0. You will develop VR wings if you use it more. It took me about 4 or 5 hours to get used to it and now I rarely feel nausea and I am predominately helo with occasional jaunts in the P51 and L39. The Gazelle used to make me sick as a dog after 30 seconds because it's so twitchy and if it started rocking then that was it for me and the headset was off. Now I can fly it like I stole it and it doesn't bother me. A second 1080 will do absolutely nothing for you in DCS or VR as DCS does not function with SLI and even if it did SLI does not work well with VR due to latency issues.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

You may need to go into the settings of the store window and turn off only allow authorised apps or something. this will let DCS take control of the rift

Thanks, yeah I can get the rift to work perfect on my steam version. But not on my 1.5 version which is the one I bought all the aircraft for. :(