When your Warthog throttle meets your tripod…

Hey folks :bye_2:

It has been quite some times since my slew mod!

Today, I just would like to share some DIY I've made to support my Warthog Throttle.

Here is the situation:

My desktop is my working area, not a cockpit and nothing close to a dedicated playing area. So basically, when not flying, I want everything to be put away, out of my view. But when I decide to take a brake, I want everything to be easily placed.

I've have a smaller tripod I'm using rarely, it's not my main work photography tripod. So I decided to build a plate for an ultra quick mounting / unmounting procedure for the throttle.

What's very nice with the tripod is that I can place it exactly as I want, the orientation, the height, etc.

None of the work I've done modified any part of my tripod, the throttle plate I've made is fixed to the standard camera mount plate of the tripod. Easy to remove if I need to use it back, easy to mount again, etc.

Putting the throttle on the plate is a matter of 2s: grab it, place it. Boom, it's that simple.

Perhaps this will gives you ideas guys. I'm really happy with it.

Regards,

27695192596_c700192a7a_o.jpg

27628318612_9bea734398_o.jpg

27450864570_b68ac932e7_o.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. I did something similar last week with a drum throne for my TM Hotas. I've got a tripod around here somewhere, but it never crossed my mind til I was what you've done. Time to set up my throttle! Thanks

• Like 1

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

Nice! Especially like the fact that you can adjust not just height, but orientation. E.g, make the motion more collective like than throttle if you want. So you just bought a plate at a hardware store and drilled holes? Do you mind sharing unit name, SKU # (or, if your ordered on-line, the link) etc.? Did you need any special tools to drill the holes or will a standard home drill do?

• Like 2

At the very least, I must compliment you on your tripod brand. :thumbup:

I had never considered that option myself, and I have four or five tripods floating around. One of which has recently been diverted to being a stand for my Rift sensor. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Glad you see the potential like me guys ;)

Bearfoot, the plate is made of steal.

All can be done at home, but I bet steal cutting tools are not in all homes, neither the necessary to drill ^^

Still you need to be very precise on drilling else, you'll not be able to place the plate. Using a pillar drill is probably a very secure solution.

Holes are 6mm (threaded).

The precise space between hole can be found here http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=64877&d=1334670526

cichlidfan, this tripod is a little to "small" for my gear, so I've a bigger carbon one that can support among other, my 405 gear head (all same brand).

This one have been "saved" by "surgery" ^^. One of the third section leg has broken, so I've reduced it to a two sections tripod :D

• Like 2

I had the same problem, so I made a foldable stand. I drilled holes to accommodate Warthog or Komodo. The joystick stand works the same way. I just roll it away when not needed. But it's made to accommodate Komodo or TM with extension. I can't get the guy that used to sell the carbon tube one to respond so I may go with Sahaj extensions. It also allowed me to mount the MFG rudders. They native base plate is narrow so it can tilt when you take your feet off. Now it's bolted to the top of the board.

gpDaaiS.jpg

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I can't get the guy that used to sell the carbon tube one to respond so I may go with Sahaj extensions. It also allowed me to mount the MFG rudders.

hansangb, I just read the Milan from MFG has started making extensions at good prices.

Maybe it's an idea to contact him and ask?

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

I had the same problem, so I made a foldable stand. I drilled holes to accommodate Warthog or Komodo. The joystick stand works the same way. I just roll it away when not needed. But it's made to accommodate Komodo or TM with extension. I can't get the guy that used to sell the carbon tube one to respond so I may go with Sahaj extensions. It also allowed me to mount the MFG rudders. They native base plate is narrow so it can tilt when you take your feet off. Now it's bolted to the top of the board.

nice setup in the picture.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

hansangb, I just read the Milan from MFG has started making extensions at good prices.

DAMN!!! I didn't know that! I'll definitely check it out, thanks for that. Although Sahaj seems to get great reviews as well.

nice setup in the picture.

Thank you! My next project is to make switch boxes, but I'm waiting to finalize the purchase of laser/cnc first. Lot of choices and lot of research to go.

I'm good to go on the acrylic (already cut and ready to go) but I can't move forward with the back-lighting/labels.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DAMN!!! I didn't know that! I'll definitely check it out, thanks for that. Although Sahaj seems to get great reviews as well.

Yeah, I think the Sahaj ones are probably quite ok.

It was just, the quoted price of the ones from Milan was the half of those from Sahaj, so I thought it was worth looking into. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

One other fact (well two).

1) ON the pro side, the extensions by Milan can be added together. Meaning if you order two ( 7,5 cm, 10cm and 12 cm) extensions, you get an extension that's bespoke length.

2) Pro for Sajah is that he sells a black one. Aesthetically more pleasing.

And yes, price is a big factor. Reputation wise, Sajah seems to get great reviews. Milan, of course, is beyond reproach.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

One other fact (well two).

1) ON the pro side, the extensions by Milan can be added together. Meaning if you order two ( 7,5 cm, 10cm and 12 cm) extensions, you get an extension that's bespoke length.

Do you have a link i cant find anything on his website?

It's not ready yet on the web site. I'm told it's coming shortly.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---