Old school navigation help please - ADF/NDB? Backcourse ILS?

paradoxbox

Hi all,

I started my pilot training (real life stuff) back in the days when steam gauges were still common and NDB's were all over the place and still in common use. GPS was starting to appear in many cockpits but not all.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to do NDB navigation in the A-10C but can't seem to figure it out. I have TACAN and VOR navigation down alright.

Can someone give me a hint as to whether or not the A-10C has ADF equipment and if so, how do I tune it?

Next up is, ILS back course functionality - I have flown around a number of airfields but none of them seem to have any ILS back course approaches available. I can't catch the localizer on the back side, ever.

Are ILS back course approaches just not modeled in DCS or ???

That is a real shame.

Is there any information about what kind of redundancy the radio navigation system has in the A-10C?

The other day I was flying around and got shot to hell, both of my displays and the CDU were out, the only thing I had that still worked was the mag compass and the HSI, but I could not get TCN mode to work.

I did not mess with it long enough to figure out what was wrong, since I was focused on flying the plane and I had a rough idea of where I was, but it did get me wondering, how would I know where to go if it had been an IFR situation or if I didn't know the area at all.

If I'm playing in a period mission i.e. 1990's weapons / config I figure I'm not going to have an iphone to back me up, and if the weather is IFR below 2000 feet and there are unknown threats popping up, I don't want to be trying to go under the clouds just to catch a peek at the terrain. Could end up killing you anyway if there is a mountain under the clouds.

I'm still investigating this with the mission editor and various failures.

It also seems like most of the runways which have an ILS tend to have the ILS on the opposite side of the runways ATC likes to use for visual approaches if the wind is calm. Kind of unusual. Will need to check more airfields to see if it's true of all of them.